1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.
  2. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

First pipe smoking memories.

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by craig, Oct 24, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. craig

craig Active Member

just thought i would share this with you, it still raises a smile even though it was only in april.

Well begining is i had been umming and ahhing over pipe smoking for a good few years, seeing Cristophe waltz in inglourious basterds pretty much own his calabash gourd, the beautiful church wardens in lord of the rings and finally seeing people round about the same age as myself on youtube rave about pipe smoking gave me the kick up the ass to say you know what try it.

So (much to her dismay) i got mother half to order me a kit from a tobacconin the Midlands which consisted of a MM legend, pipe tool and a 4 pack of samplers of different tobaccos.

Fast foreward 4 days later after a particularly labourious first cut of my garden, my mother comes out with a small box with a perplexed look on her face and hands it too me.

Like an excited little child on christmas day i shake the box look at the post mark find its from the midlands and litterally rip the box open with the said pipe, tool and tobacco flying over garden.

My mothers face drops, i load up the pipe and spark up and draw away happily, and her reply which made me litterally laugh out loud was "ive seen you do many things and not believe it but this takes the bloody biscuit sunshine".

Five minutes later my dad comes home from work and i pretty much get the same reply, albeit with a few swearys peppered in.

In work people to this day still look surprised, shocked, amazed you name it when it comes out im a pipe smoker.
    And when i get the inevitable "granddad", "old codger", "popeye", "pipey" and all the rest i always remind them i could be filling my pipe with a lot worse and more highly illegal substances :P

just thought i would share this little story with you all, any funny memorys any of you want to share of your first time pipe smoking?

happy days and happy smoking to you all.

2. Hudson

Hudson Member

I'm afraid my most vivid memory is of scorching my tongue on Cherry Blend. NOLA, 1965.

3. Monkeyshine

Monkeyshine Active Member

Probably 5 or 6 years ago now...It's a wonder I came back to the pipe. Smoked some horrid aromatic in a MM Pride around the campfire with some good friends. The tobacco was an odd mix a friend put together at the tobacconist of 3 different house blends.

4. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

My first pipe smoking memory usually wins the prize for the weirdest/most pathetically silly.

As a kid in the '70's, my brother used to make models. Not cars or airplanes but figures, like Dracula. He had one called The Visible Man, which consisted of a clear plastic man's body and the various entrails that make up a human. The plastic esophagus-to-stomach thingy was shaped like a pipe and was hollow, perfect for smoking. I extracted it and filled it with coffee and lit it. The coffee wouldn't stay lit, I got grounded when my folks found out and I got my azz kicked by my brother for busting his model.

8 years later I bought a briar pipe... if your definition of same is considerably liberal. A Whitehall Red Dot with stinger. I filled it with some tobacco whose name I can't recall but it was "southern birch" flavored. The coffee was better.

psquared and N3M0 like this.
  5. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

Lol , I smoked some weird stuff too , Kerr . :)
    My memories are pretty good . Grandfather and Uncle smoked all the time . I always thought it was the coolest thing watching and smelling them smoke the pipe . Grandpop smoked a Cavendish and Uncle Frank smoked Three Nuns . I walked into a B&M in 1979 and bought a bent pipe and a pouch of Argosy . Loved it . Good memories

6. Johnny Dingo

Johnny Dingo Writer of wrongs

I was 16, I think. Smoking a Grabow Something-or-Other fulla Captain Balck Royal. Pipe packed too tight and puffing it like a stoner at a Dead show. Lots of smoke and burnt tongue. At that age I did things mostly to annoy others, regardless of whether I enjoyed it or not.

Nowadays I still do things mostly to annoy people. I'm just better at it and enjoy myself more.

psquared, MikeInMaine and Artistik like this.
  7. Stonewall

Stonewall Active Member

It was the strangest thing with me. I had been a cigarette smoker since I was 14. Tried snuff, plug chewing tobacco, etc. but a pipe?!

For some reason, I can't really explain, I purchased two lots of pipes from EBay. One lot of two was an Arlington Custom billiard with a Sterling band, the other a Waverley apple (Sasieni second). The second lot was three pipes, all stamped, "Reject London Made" which I've come to learn some very interesting information on, but that's another conversation.

I still have these pipes and always will. I remember going to the tobacco section of the grocery store, and buying a pouch of Amphora Full Aroma (red). I was working at a scale house as a weight master and could smoke inside the small office. I remember loading the pipe up and lighting it, and setting in on the most violent cough that lasted at least 20 minutes.

I waited a while and relit the pipe. Same thing! Geezus I thought. This is insane; why would anyone subject themselves to this. I was inhaling by the way. Deeply inhaling. No wonder, eh?! Lol

Over the course of a few days, and some research on the Professors Pipe Smoking Page/blog, I discovered the basics of pipe smoking. Properly packing and lighting the pipe, smoking cadence, etc.

And one fine, cold and lonely afternoon (suits me fine btw) I finially figured it out. The draw, cadence, method. Clumsy as I was. But when that happened, I not only understood the pleasure and appeal, but determined I wanted to pursue it further.

Artistik likes this.
  8. craig

craig Active Member

I have another memory.

I have aalmost morbid fear of thunderstorms, and i was sat outside this summer (banished outside) and i could see the clouds for a storm forming and i thought nothing of it then after a big flash of lightning and huge rumble of thunder, i smoked my pipe in double quick time.

big mistake in any circumstances but that day i was smoking condor, a very strong otc tobacco thats widely available in britain, i had the worst case of tongue bite to date and all the nicotine in my system i almost turned as green as the packet.

Needless to say now lesson is learned, and in summer always check the weather forecast before i go out haha.

9. furious

furious Junque collector

My first pipe was a Grabow purchased at the local drug store when I was 16. Bought some Half and Half and proceeded to fall in love with pipe smoking. Bought a Comoy later and then the rest was history. It's funny cause the only other person who smoked a pipe in my family was my paternal grandfather, whom I never met as he was deceased many years before I was born. But, I was given his pipes after my uncle passed, and I cherish them to this day.

10. craig

craig Active Member

Ah something in common.

No one in my family has smoked a pipe apart from my grand father (who also passed on years before i was born) on my dads side of the family, but he tossed it in the fire because my dad snuck it away and had a smoke on it and got caught by my granddad which also resulted in a swift clip round the ear.
    But my granddad on my mothers side smoked and loved cigars for many years, i dont mind cigars but its a very few and far between occasion when i smoke them (mostly christmas and new year).

furious likes this.
  11. furious

furious Junque collector

That is some story! What a dramatic display by your Grandfather, but I bet it drove the point across.

12. craig

craig Active Member

Yeah by all accounts my grandfather could be quite fiery at times lol, but my dad told me that story when i first started pipe smoking, because before i even knew this i already had it in my mind that i wouldnt let anyone else smoke my pipes :P.

furious likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.