1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.
  2. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

First Pipe Stem

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by Whalehead King, May 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Whalehead King

Whalehead King Balaenius Rex!!

Did you start with a bent or a straight pipe? Did that shape remain your favorite or did you change your mind?

2. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

I've always bought bents. I don't think I've ever purchased a straight pipe. I've got a couple sitting around, but they were byproducts of trades.

3. noflex

noflex Member

My first pipe was a Stanwell bulldog #32. And I smoked straight for some year's then i got in to bent pipes and now it's what I'm in the mode for. But I'll say that striaght is easy'er to start with. But that's just my $0.02

4. Cobra

Cobra Member

I bought a straight initially almost forty years ago mostly because of a notion of how others might perceive a young guy smoking a bent pipe. That didn't last long thankfully, that was the only straight pipe I bought. Bents are the way to go. :goodjob:

5. BluesGuy

BluesGuy Member

I must do things bass ackwards....I started with bents and just lately am finding I like straights better.

6. stummel bum

stummel bum Member

First was a straight. Didn't take to it so I bought a bent soon after. Mainly I just didn't know what I was doing. I was smoking really wet and I ended up sucking up the juice like a straw with the straight.

Now that I know what I'm doing (sort of) I like to mix it up with a combination of straight and bent dependent on tobacco selection.

7. Marc

Marc Active Member

When I first started smoking pipes I bought bents and straights and did so for years especially when I started collecting Italian carved pipes then years ago I just started gravitating towards straight pipes and the billiard shape in particular and they are all I smoke now. There’s no tobacco I have smoked that does not smoke well in a straight billiard.

8. t-bear

t-bear Well-Known Member

Combination of both.

9. CarlBC

CarlBC Member

The first pipe I ever bought was a 1/4 bent meerschaum claw at a Tinderbox. I still prefer bent stem pipes, but I do have a fair number of straight stem examples in my line-up.

10. Dondi

Dondi Active Member

11. dubhdarra

dubhdarra Active Member

i've maybe two non-cob pipes that aren't straight, and they're both about a quarter bend. just about everything i smoke is a straight billiard, though i do own a dublin, a poker, one pot, and one that i can't quite decide if its a short billiard or a tall pot. i've owned bent pipes i just never liked how they smoked or how they sat in my mouth and hand. maybe that will change some day. i doubt it.

12. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Member

Same here.I have 1 straight pipe,a Butz Choquin Belami Jr. Canadian,and I only keep it because of it's size.It makes a perfect 15minute smoke,but straight pipes just arent my thing.

13. Marc

Marc Active Member

Bent pipes make your face look droopy... :startle:

14. Mister Moo

Mister Moo Normal Cow Moderator Moderator

I started with a mixed bag and stayed that way: each has pros & cons.

A straight pipe that's a tad too heavy or has the wrong bit or button won't clench.
    A bent pipe with a hink in alignment won't clear a pipecleaner or wants to gurgle.

I favor easy-clench, not-too-heavy bents in the car and I'll lean to big, bad billiards when I am parked in a chair. But sometimes aesthetics makes the call for me. But then, sometimes, I like a featherweight billiard in the car and a monster bent out on the porch.

Do I have to choose right now?

15. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

I started with quarter bents, bought a few straights, and now my last couple purchases were quarter bents again. Guess decisiveness isn't my forte. I'm already entertaining a full bent, if only to put the curiosity to bed.

16. Demented

Demented Member

Bent then, bent now! The one straight pipe I own (Ben Wade freehand Canadian) has an eighth bent stem.

17. Demented

Demented Member

It's not the pipe :)

18. Bri2k

Bri2k Active Member

Sraights...I like the way they look.

Still, everyone's got their own style.

Bri2k

19. Demented

Demented Member

I love the way straight pipes look, but I am literally the size of a door, 6” 3” wearing a size 60” coat. Dainty little pipes look silly sticking out of my face, and I can’t imagine a large straight pipe being comfortable stuck between my molars all day.

20. Marc

Marc Active Member

I'm 6' 1", size 52-54 and "dainty pipes" look good when I clinch them! :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.