1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

First Pipe Stem

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by Whalehead King, May 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Whalehead King

Whalehead King Balaenius Rex!!

I started with a bent and didn't like the way it felt. Also, the lady of the house told me I looked like an old man. I'm only middle aged! I do prefer the more jaunty, Bing Crosby look of the straight and I think it fits me more comfortably and matches how I smoke better. I did pick up a quarter bent Forever Stem for the cobs and I like it, but not enough to go for a more extreme angle.

I still pull out the bent from time to time but straights are my regular walking around and typing pipes.

2. dubhdarra

dubhdarra Active Member

6'2" and my chest is a 46, i look ridiculous no matter what i do (because as my sister constantly reminds me leprechauns aren't meant to be tall) but i look far stranger trying to clench a bent than holding a straight, and most of my straights are group 2 at the LARGEST.

3. Marc

Marc Active Member

Small, light, straight billiards are ideal for clinching as that's how I smoke a pipe, clinched!

4. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

Funny, at 6'3" and 220lbs. (size 44/46)...I find straights look fine on me...so long as they are relatively large bowled. Smaller, which I do smoke, look almost cartoonish. Quarter bents look ok so long as they aren't super short. I'm going by my own perceptions.

5. Demented

Demented Member

When we’re talking about how things look on us, it’s all about perception. Felt like a freak most of my life, size 8 hat, 20” neck, 60” chest, 13 6E shoe = Frankenstein’s creature… small pipes make it worse.

6. dubhdarra

dubhdarra Active Member

at least you're sized up to match your noggin. people i've known for years tell people i'm about five nine cause i'm still skinny and my giant head makes me look short. when i tell people i'm 6'2" i have to walk over to them to show them... its kinda sad.

7. jpberg

jpberg Moderator Moderator

My first pipe was a 1/4 bent Sav. 2nd. I went through just about every shape phase that you can think of, a straight bulldog phase being the longest. Out of the last 20 pipes I bought, it's probably been 50/50 straight/bent.

8. Falconeer

Falconeer Active Member

Hi All

In buttoned up early 1960's Scotland, it absolutely had to be a straight and fairly plain pipe for a young man to go out in public! Bent pipes were stricly for violin players and poets!

Nowadays I've a good mixture of both and feel you get twice the pleasure with a bent,

Gerry

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.