1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

First Pipe

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by zhensley, Sep 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zhensley

zhensley New Member

Greetings.

I am a new member (obviously) to this forum and have done quite a bit of reading. I am a cigar smoker and have, for some time now, been considering getting into pipe smoking as well.

Are there any suggestions you all have while I consider my first pipe? I seem to like the 1/4 - 1/2 bent billiards, but that might just be because that's my mental image of a pipe.

Thanks for any pointers you all have. Heck, maybe someone is even looking to get rid of a pipe...maybe we can work something out.

Thanks guys

2. Gary

Gary Member

Having also just started I had the same question. If you're considering a new pipe, then I'd advise you go look at and hold them in your hand and imagine yourself smoking it. Should obviously be comforatable and suit your style. I'm a newbie too, but I can at least provide that tip.

I know nothing about the good pipe makers....so much to learn....good luck and enjoy.

3. ATXPipe

ATXPipe Member

If I had it all to do over again, I would've bought 3-4 cobs and saved my money on a briar until I'd gotten better with my smoking technique. I don't even know what happened to my first pipe, but it was a very pretty pipe that smoked like an absolute dog. When I got frustrated & finally bought a $5 cob (they're so UGLY) I had my first experience of "pipe smoker's nirvana."

Just my experience, obviously not the rule!

Mark w4mms likes this.
  4. CoreyK

CoreyK Member

I would suggest either a cob or dr. grabow. I love my dr. g omega, fair sized bowl, good weight/feel and it has a good bit (I think they're called saddle bits?). Alternatively, I know that WyoBob had bought a couple extra MM cobs and was offering little "starter kits" with a cob and a few samples, so you may want to check that out as well! Good luck with your new found hobby. =]

Here's the link to WyoBob's thread - http://pipesmokersforum.com/community/threads/newbie-cob-and-tobacco-sampler.10563/#post-167514

TxPipesmoker and Mark w4mms like this.
  5. YOJiMBO20

YOJiMBO20 Member

Go to an actual tobacco shop. Don't go to a smoke shop. The larger selection of pipes they have the better.

Stay away from the basket pipes. Yes, they're cheap, and for good reason. The B&M I always go to has basket pipes for $20-$50, but have decent house brand pipes for $45. See if there are any house brand pipes where you go. Make sure you like the way it looks and feels in your hand. If you don't like either of these, you won't want to smoke it. Also bring a flashlight and look down the bowl to see where the draft hole is (you might also need a pipe cleaner for this). You want it at the bottom of the bowl as close to the center as possible.

Look for: | . |, not |. | when looking down the bowl (the . is the draft hole; hopefully this illustration makes sense). I've seen some that are that far off to the side. Can't imagine they would smoke well.

6. Gary

Gary Member

The local tobacco shop has a cardboard rack with cob pipes costing about $4. Are these the cob pipes you folks are referring to? Seems cob smokers love 'em and I may have to try one. Just want to make sure that's what is being discussed.

7. ATXPipe

ATXPipe Member

Yep, those are the ones...I yank the filter & smoke the hell out of 'em. I have one in each car, one at the office, and 2 at home (had to throw one away after an experience with a horrible, horrible tobacco that shall not be named...)

If you're planning on trying a couple of different blends, a cob is the way to go. Briars ghost (the flavor of the tobacco lingers in the bowl) and need to be rested between smokes, but cobs don't ghost (as bad) and can stand up to a lot more abuse.

8. zhensley

zhensley New Member

9. YOJiMBO20

YOJiMBO20 Member

I would recommend staying away from eBay for the time being. Once you know what you're looking at, then eBay is better. Until then, stick with a B&M.

10. user1975

user1975 Active Member

Welcome aboard, and +2 on buying a cob first.

11. jeff394

jeff394 Member

If the cob doesn't say Missouri Meerschaum on the bottom, don't buy it. +3 for the cob.

12. Drek

Drek Member

I would recommend the exact opposite - buy the most expensive estate pipe you can afford!
    I would go as far as saying - set $75 - $100 aside and do some ebay browsing. Find a style you like and do a bit of research on the maker of the pipe. Once you are assured it's a pipe from a good maker - go for it. Unless you go really nuts and look for some old Dunhills, it would cost you about $100 for a good pipe.

Why estate? Chances are it's a great pipe, already broken in and you would pay about 1/3 of the new price, stretching your budget from a lower-medium new pipe to an upper-medium estate.
    Why most you can afford? - You really don't want to start with a cheap pipe. It's the best way to get you off the pipe for a long time, maybe forever. Also, if you decide you are not a pipe-guy, you can easily re-sell a collectible pipe and get your money back, maybe even make a profit.

13. SSG P

SSG P Member

To each their own... Really, it all depends on your personal preferences. If you have disposable income, then the previous post is most likely right up your alley. If you have a limited budget & want to enjoy the smoke without a large initial investment, then go with the cob.

14. Jayson H Bucy

Jayson H Bucy Member

What is this B&M I keep hearing about?

15. HCraven

HCraven Active Member

Brick & Mortar, i.e. an actual pipe store, not an online shop.

16. Jayson H Bucy

Jayson H Bucy Member

Ahh, I feel dumb now, I thought it was a chain tobacconist.

17. HCraven

HCraven Active Member

Well don't. I wondered about the same thing at one time. Thought maybe they bought out Tinder Box or something.

18. DGErwin11

DGErwin11 Moderator Moderator

Buy 2, one cob, one Dr Grabow. This will let you rest one pipe while smoking the other. Aesthetically, the Dr G's aren't very appealing, but most are mechanically sound. Refine your techniques on these and you will eventually find what you like. Don't be in a hurry.

Jussto likes this.
  19. Gary

Gary Member

This is very sensible and good advice, IMO.

20. AndyLowry

AndyLowry Member

Someday I'm going to start a combo pipe/book shop, and I'm going to call it "B&M's Finest Kind Pipe and Book Store." I'll be Bob, and my partner will be Melvin. I will make a killing, having already had all the free advertising.

ATXPipe likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.