1. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

First Restore

Discussion in 'The Smoking Lounge' started by Sweet, Sep 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sweet

Sweet Member

Hello There~

Completed finishing this up over the weekend. Got the pipe off eBay. It’s stamped Portland Continental Made in France. My thoughts were too finish it up, make it look pretty then sell it. But it’s my first restore, my first Vulcanite stem and well….I just think the wood looks gorgeous and “I think” it smokes pretty good too. So now I don’t want to let it go ;)
    So for me, down the road when choosing a restore, is to don’t get pipes that I’m attracted to, that way it’s easier for me to let ‘em go ;) Course I’m starting to see just how much pipes are like woman, (whom I very much appreciate ;) ) they’re all very unique, and all behave differently. (and I’ll just stop there, because holy smokes, as I go over the similarities in my head, the list just goes on and on ;) )
    I found out thru this that I do like the vulcanite stem over the Lucite stems, didn't expect that. Fun project though and I've got so much more to learn :(

Cheers!

Before
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

After
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

mojo66 and Johnny Dingo like this.
  2. krusty

krusty Active Member

Came out nicely. Did you simply clean the bowl or strip and re-stain it?

3. MikeInMaine

MikeInMaine Well-Known Member

That came out pretty. I would have a hard time letting it go too.

4. Artistik

Artistik Active Member

Nice job, congratulations! And you are a cribbage player?

5. Klauswermann

Klauswermann Member

Nice work!

6. Sweet

Sweet Member

Hey Krusty~ Yeah I reamed the bowl, did the salt and alcohol soak (twice), soaked the stem in OxyClean, then starting sanding the bowl with 200 and worked up to 800. Then buffed (carefully with a Dremel). I did widen the draw hole to 4mm too. Smokes nice. I just ordered some Paragon wax to finish it off. Looking forward to see what that does to the wood. (Over all goal is to get close to SpillProf's work...his work really is beautiful). I was a boob and took a good portion of the nomenclature off :( . Don't think I'll stain it cause I'm really enamored with the briar color of this pipe. (I'll just sit and look over the grain, feel the smoothness between my fingers between puffs and smile....yeah...I'm a sad little man)
    Thanks ;)

M.

Rewster66, Rodfather, krusty and 2 others like this.
  7. Sweet

Sweet Member

Loooove Cribbage ;) (with a good smoke of course ;) ).

Artistik likes this.
  8. Johnny Dingo

Johnny Dingo Writer of wrongs

Nice job, man!

9. Goat

Goat Active Member

Beautifull. I've got a couple that I'm going to start on also. I'll post some before and after pics of mine as well.

10. Rodfather

Rodfather Active Member

Nice job, fun isn't it.

11. t-bear

t-bear Well-Known Member

Nice looking resto! You did well grasshopper! LOL

Yeah, it's really hard to "let go" sometimes, but not to worry...after the first hundred or so, it gets easier.....and you can be pickier!
    I too like the lighter , more natural wood color...can relate to the touchy-feely part too. Just finished a new eighth-bent natural bulldog that I really "should" sell.....but......sigh!!

Have fun with the new obsession!

12. user3221

user3221 Active Member

looks like you got a nice pipe

good job !

13. Stonewall

Stonewall Active Member

I really like the grain on this pipe. Looks great. I wouldn't worry much about the nomenclature. I'd keep it and smoke it. Kudos!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.