First Time Pipe Smoker

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Addicted2RC, May 24, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Addicted2RC

Addicted2RC Member

Im going to start pipe smoking. I've been reading up and I decided that my first pipe is going to be a Peterson. What i would like to know is what tobacco should I first start out with. I have smoked cigars. The tough part is going to be convincing my parents to let me smoke a pipe.

2. woody

woody Admin Admin

Yeah convincing your parents can be tough. How old are you?

3. Addicted2RC

Addicted2RC Member

4. woody

woody Admin Admin

I don't know your situation but you are an adult and can pretty much do as you please.

5. Addicted2RC

Addicted2RC Member

Thanks, anyway what do u guys think I should try for my first tobacco.

6. HCraven

HCraven Active Member

That's a tough question, actually (well, for me, anyway). If you have a proper tobacconist where you live, you could go and pick up a few samples, maybe an ounce or so of something that strikes your fancy. I, like many other people, started smoking bulk aromatics at first, though they're not just for beginners. If you try something like that, just make sure they're not overly sticky or goopy. That indicates a high level of chemical humectant, which makes them smoke hot and wet. You could certainly venture forth into more traditional tobaccos, some of which, like Prince Albert, are widely available at drug stores, if you don't have access to a tobacconist.

Welcome, by the way.

Herb

7. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

If you like a good cigar, I say go for the gusto...get you a tin of straight Perique.

Rewster66 and Beale like this.
  8. Addicted2RC

Addicted2RC Member

I saw a YouTube video on cherry ambrosia, is that any good.

9. Beale

Beale Active Member

IMHO I am not sure what type cigars you smoked? If they were Black and Mild type or Partagas Blacks? If you have smoked mild Cigars? Look for a good Aromatic? Maybe Carter Hall type? Beale.

10. Flashcrashbash

Flashcrashbash Member

If you don't have accsess to a Pipe shop then run down to Walgreens and pick up a Dr.Grabow and some other Drug Store blend like Carter Hall,Half&Half,Captain Black, Heck if your used to smoking the cheap gas station Swishers you might be able to stand the Walgreens "Blenders Gold" Vanilla Cavendish,Black&Burley or Cherry.

As for convincing your parents to let you smoke a pipe...Tell them parents love it alot more when you tell them first rather them having found out and if they disapprove your an adult and can make your own choices.

11. Great Basin Ben

Great Basin Ben Member

The CAO Cherrybomb, seems to be the preferred "Cherry" variety of the web, at least as far as I can tell. I'm VERY NEW here, and of ALL the varieties, I've tried so far, the one that I'd be MOST inclined to recommend to a fellow newbie like myself, is "Bluenote, by Dan Tobacco". You folks will probably even enjoy the room smell that it gives off too. It is a very mild, but pleasantly sweet Tobacco that smells, and tastes good, for everyone around!!!

From one newbie to another, I'd go with the Bluenote.

12. RTOdhner

RTOdhner Well-Known Member

Peterson makes very good pipes, and picking a good first toby can be tough. I'd suggest starting off with a good corncob (two really, so you can rotate them) and a pouch of Carter Hall. This allows you to explore the art of pipe smoking without having to commit a large sum of money up front, while at the same time providing you with a very enjoyable introduction to the art of pipe smoking. Many of us began so modestly, and to this day we still find much contentment in a corncob full of Carter Hall. Going on 30 years of pipe smoking, I still smoke cobs and Carter Hall and still enjoy them emensely. A Peterson full of Erinmore flake is a wonderful thing - but so is a cob full of codger OTC. (And a Missouri Meerschaum Country Gentleman corncob full of Erinmore flake is simply sublime).

Arkie, BradNTX and Great Basin Ben like this.
  13. Great Basin Ben

Great Basin Ben Member

+1 for the Cob! Missouri Meerschaums are phenomonal smokers, and the most you're likely to pay is $10 bucks. Like RTOdhner said, get a couple so you can switch them up each day and not be always dealing with gurgly messes. I use mine over and above any of the other 3 pipes I've purchased so far, and it was without a doubt, the least expensive too!

14. BradNTX

BradNTX Well-Known Member

# 3 on the cob recommendation for a first time pipe smoker. Briars absorb and transmit flavors more easily than cobs. If you want to try a bunch of tobaccos, a cob will not "ghost" those different flavors as easily. You can also see if you like pipe smoking for a while with less investment. Don't get a Chinese made cob; get a Missouri Meerschaum for $4-30 depending on the model you select.

Great Basin Ben likes this.
  15. Great Basin Ben

Great Basin Ben Member

Another Tobacco you may consider aside from Bluenote, is Town Topic by McClelland's Premium Aromatics line. As far as room odor (also called room "note"), is concerned, Town Topic smells like a Maple Suryp factory. Your folks shouldn't be put off at all by its smell. The only problem with the Town Topic, is you may not want something THAT isn't so in-your-face SWEET, all of the time, this is why I'd still go with the Bluenote first, and something like the Town Topic 2nd for a nice after dinner smoke.

16. Brian

Brian Member

Real MM Cob and Carter Hall or Prince Albert. Buy 2 or 3 cobs like others said so you can rotate. Less than $40 invested and you are an official pipe smoker :) Personally, I think that's better than diving straight into a more pricey pipe. You may not really know what kind of pipe you like at first. I didn't. I always liked the way full bent pipes looked, but I found that I really prefer the way straight pipes smoke. Smoking > looks to me (doesn't have to be true for everyone though).

I like Dr. Grabows. You can usually get one of those for around $30 if you want to try a briar. I've been smoking now for 3 years, and still don't own a pipe that cost me more than $35.

yinyang likes this.
  17. Addicted2RC

Addicted2RC Member

Found out my mom said I cant smoke a pipe cuz I'll get cancer and knowing my dad, he'll definitely say no. Ugh parents can be a pain. Looks like a I won't be smoking a pipe until I move out or a miracle happens and they change their minds. (which is highly unlikely).

18. Marc

Marc Active Member

Good advice Brian.:th1:

19. Addicted2RC

Addicted2RC Member

My mom also said that it will give me bad breath.

20. Marc

Marc Active Member

:haha:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.