First Time Pipe Smoker

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Addicted2RC, May 24, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Addicted2RC

Addicted2RC Member

What's that supposed to mean.

2. Marc

Marc Active Member

It made me laugh...

3. Flashcrashbash

Flashcrashbash Member

Screw her do what you want.

4. Marc

Marc Active Member

Well, if you live under their roof, it's their rules and I'm sure they have your best interest at heart!:(

5. Rewster66

Rewster66 Active Member

Good solid advice from PSF's resident genius!!!:whis:

6. Addicted2RC

Addicted2RC Member

Is pine a good wood to make a homemade pipe out of.

7. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

Your parents don't own the outside...particularly the boundry past their property line...give your parents a kiss on the cheek, (before smoking!) heaven forbid..., walk a bit past their boundries, and fire up. You can respect their wishes, as well as being your own man. Parents have a hard time allowing their children to grow up...since you are obviously 19, there is no reason to really hide all this, however. Do what you think is best, but remember, parents aren't always the law. Their concerns aside, it is your life you must lead...not theirs.

8. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

No. Never. Spending hard earned money on a quality briar, or at least a few bucks on a cob, is the best way to go.

Quit messing around...dude...how old are you? My 18 year old has smoked cigars around my wife for months...against her approval, mind you. Your posts are seriously concerning me, now. Pipe smokers, as a rule, are self confident, assertive people. You are acting like my 14 year old, ATM. Oppressive parents (and my apologies aside)...?????????

9. dwaugh

dwaugh Moderator Moderator

In the grand scheme of things, there are many worse things you could be doing than smoking a pipe.... -David

10. Arkie

Arkie Active Member

I'm beginning to think you are a troll but I will give you the benefit of the doubt. I began smoking a pipe when I was your age and my parents disapproved. I waited till I had left home so there was really nothing they could do. They eventually accepted it and life moved on.

Great Basin Ben likes this.
  11. MakDragon

MakDragon Wizard of PSF

My uncle smoked a pipe all the time. Tobacco of choice was Captain Black White. When I was about 21 or 22 I bought a Dr Grabow at a local newstand/tobacco shop and began my journey. Didnt smoke at home and spent a lot of money on gum to mask the breath.

Plus at that age, I didnt have the confidence to smoke the pipe in public circles. Then I thought that pipe smoking was for older guys like my uncle. Boy was I wrong!

Your local cigar and pipe shope is the best place to start for a variety or two that they can suggest for toby. If there are none around your house, then by all means try some of the drug store varieties mentioned here. I even think that if you let some Captain Black sit for a week or two it may actually be acceptable in the moisture area.

One last thing. It took me a long time to get to "enjoy" a pipe because I was never taught the basics of pipe smoking (packing, lighting, tamping and the various types of toby). It wasnt until I had a conversation with a seasoned pipe smoker at my local shop that pointed me in the right direction. After that, this forum is a gold mine for information and help.

Best of luck!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.