First time tobacco suggestions

Discussion in 'Need Pipe Smoking Advice? Ask an Old Fart!' started by smokinghost, Jan 16, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. smokinghost

smokinghost Member

Hey guys,

I am a total newb here. I got a corn cob pipe as I heard they're good starters til you have the hang of it so you don't ruin a nice one.

My first question is what is a good tobacco to start with? I like medium to full bodied cigars if that helps with suggestions.

Second is I know I need a tamper and would like some recommendations.

Lastly is it best to use a pipe lighter or matches?

Please don't feel you have to answer all of them from one person. As long as all get answered its all good.

Thanks everyone.

2. CalPiper

CalPiper Member

Finding tobaccos you like is ALOT of trial and error. That is why there is a Trading Post on this forum, its basically a place for people to swap tobaccos they didnt like with someone who likes it. Whether you like Aromatics like Lane's "1Q" or Cornell and Diehl "After Hours" , or if you like non-aromatics is all up to your pallet. I enjoy both aromatics and non-aromatics, so its good to get small samples of different tobaccos and fire them up and see which one suits you. With tampers, I just grab them from my local B&M (Brick and Mortar) shop when I lose one. They are basically about $2 each and work great. Of course there are more expensive ones, but if you are looking to save money the cheap ones work fine. Again with the pipe light or matches, which ever one you feel comfortable with, then thats the one to go with. Both work great and I have been known to switch from my lighter back to matches depending on how I feel that day. Again, pipe smoking takes alot of trial and error and takes patience. So enjoy the ride and get smokin! ;)

3. Arkie

Arkie Active Member

Everyone has such different tastes it's tough to recommend a blend. If there is a B & M near you I would suggest you go there and sniff the assortment of blends they will have in jars. Ask to sample of the one that seems most appealing. Most shops will encourage you to sample - especially if you are a first time customer. The stuff in jars is bulk blend and it's usually comparable in price to over-the-counter (OTC) pouches you get in drug stores & grocery markets.

4. smokinghost

smokinghost Member

Thanks a bunch for the reply. I appreciate the info. I'll start lookin into some tobaccos to try.

5. Arkie

Arkie Active Member

Remember to take your pipe with you if you go to a B & M.

6. smokinghost

smokinghost Member

I will definitely bring my pipe with me. That is a good point. There are no B&M's here that I can find. I am still in the process of finding a good shop in the area though. I have to wait til next month before I can buy anything but wanted to have some info under my belt before I buy.

7. smokinghost

smokinghost Member

I'm very glad to hear that tampers are inexpensive. lol. I'm looking for a good pipe store in the area now. So we'll see how that goes. I've got a buddy who I can try some tobacco with. I'm looking forward to this process and journey.

CalPiper likes this.
  8. voodoo101

voodoo101 Member

Since you are smoking a cob a regular old nail will do as a tamper.

9. smokinghost

smokinghost Member

Good point. I will keep that in mind.

10. Dondi

Dondi Active Member

and you can use your pinkie in a pinch :bing:

as for tobacco blends, there are a few that contain cigar leaf, and might be a good place to start for someone switching from cigars:
    - GL Pease Robusto
    - GL Pease Key Largo
    - C&D Purple Cow

Puff The Magic likes this.
  11. smokinghost

smokinghost Member

I appreciate that. I will have to check those blends out. Thanks.

12. Jussto

Jussto Active Member

If you enjoy medium to full bodied cigars, I'd be inclined to recommend a medium full bodied English/Balkan blend, they are flavorful and satisfying, flavored with tobacco, not sweeteners and flavor additives, and they are often less likely to cause "tongue bite" as you're getting the hang of the packing and puffing. Some readily available and inexpensive to moderate blends would be things like:

Dunhill Nightcap or 965
    3 Oaks Syrian
    Esoterica Margate
    Balkan Saseini

My favorite tamper is still the $2 Czech tool.

I learned with matches, and got a pipe lighter or three later, I personally think that indoors especially matches help you learn good technique, and I still use them often.

Welcome and good luck!

Puff The Magic likes this.
  13. cobbsmoker

cobbsmoker Active Member

I would recommend you start with a Burley blend like Carter Hall or Prince Albert; these are very user friendly tobaccos and well suited for the cob that are easily loaded, lit and tamped. It will also help you learn the basics of pipe smoking much easier than messing with heavily cased aromatics which are hard to pack properly and keep lit for the new smoker, I think aromatics require a little more work and experience as a pipe smoker to be smoked properly and enjoyed to their fullest. :)

voodoo101 and Puff The Magic like this.
  14. DerbyGrandpa

DerbyGrandpa Member

Lane's 1-Q. Every tobacconist has it and it's what people usually start with.

15. smokinghost

smokinghost Member

Thanks Dondi and Jussto. I will be looking into those blends.

16. Puff The Magic

Puff The Magic Active Member

Try em all! ;)

A few rules when picking unknown leaf to smoke, if it smells like you could use a spoon or fork to eat it out of the bag, it probably won't taste or smell that way when burning and you'll be looking for that spoon to get that leaf the fork out of your bowl! Seriously! Fewer leafs actually transfer true from bag to burn...some do though. I find Esoterica Pembroke to be yummy in the bag AMD burn! Same taste but more! Otoh, chances are if it smells like crap in the bag it'll probably be a very tasty and nice smoke...for you. Maybe those around won't though (f them :)). Another good bag and burn smell/taste is MacB Mixture Flake. The leaf mentioned above by bruh-pipers are all good ones imo but tastes are all different. Similar but different. So go forward, hit a b&m, smell some jars or open tins or use a reference like tobaccoreviews.com to show you the preferred 4-star down to 1-star rated leaf and commentary. Some of our PSF "nancies" authored that drivel ;) JK! TR is good but take it w/a grain of salt (as needed).

Ed
    Puff

17. smokinghost

smokinghost Member

Thanks for the tips. That really helps. I'll check out those blends too.

18. smokinghost

smokinghost Member

Thanks. Suggestions noted. I've got a lot to try out. lol. Looking forward to it.

19. smokinghost

smokinghost Member

I will have to check that one out too. Thanks again for the suggestions.

20. jgstudios

jgstudios Member

Tobacco is a glorious realm of exploration, you'll spend months, and years on the quest and spend tens of thousands of dollars...well, alot anyway. You have to start somewhere and most folks I know started with aromatic blends. I did and smoked them for years. But as Puff suggested, the pretty smell rarely transfers to the bowl. The stinkier the tobacco, the more flavorful it is for you as the smoker...in general, It's like a serious cup of coffee vs. cherry coke smell (sweet & pretty) but no real depth of flavor. I love a good English or Balkan blend, the stinkier the better. I recommend Frog Morton in that case, but the forum members can suggest MANY others. Do check the Tobacco Reviews website for ideas. I found it helps when you've found something you like, to lead you in new directions or to find other similar blends. A nail will function fine as a freebie tamper. I can pick up a really decent pipe lighter for $15.00 at my B&M and then of course you'll need butane and flints too. Budget around $20.00 for all that. Does that sound expensive? Matches never took with me. I'd suck in the sulfur too soon, the wind would blow it out. Really frustrating when you're driving too...I vote for lighter over matches. My other advice, based on my own mistakes, is to drink something while you smoke. As a newb, you may puff to fast. You may get "bitten" by the tobacco. You're tongue can get "burned", so sipping a good scotch or whatever you like to drink may help slow things down and cool the tongue too. I tend to puff fast, I get bitten, it sucks! So I have to find ways to slow down and drinking something is an easy way to pause my puffs. Main thing is to find some baccy, if you find a good B&M shop in your area do sample their in-house blends, light up and take it easy and enjoy. You'll learn as you go and this forum will help alot. JG

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.