First time with Penzance

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by BradNTX, Jun 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BradNTX

BradNTX Well-Known Member

I decided to open my bag of Penzance and jar it up. The 8oz bag had a plastic tray inside, filled with flakes. The flakes were cut to a length that was perfect for putting two rows, standing upright, in a wide-mouth Ball mason jar.

There was a pretty good sized pile of leavings in the tray, after all the flakes were stuffed in the jar. I couldn't resist filling a bowl before dumping the rest on top of the jar contents.

I let the bowlful of toby air out for about 20 minutes before the aroma got to me and I had to get started. I filled my light colored bent Neerup, that's dedicated to Lat blends. It was a little slow to get started with the bic lighter, so I tamped and used a match to light up. Once the entire top was going it has burned evenly.

Even though I'm smoking just the bits & pieces, it's still a great smoke! Smooth, creamy, earthy and smokey like a campfire. I really like it. I really enjoy Special Blend from the Tinderbox, but Penzance surpases it fairly easily. Penzance is not as bitey as SB, and has a little more earthy flavor. I'm glad I took my fellow PSFers advice and grabbed a bag.

So, you guys that have experience with this blend, how do you prepare it? Do you fold & stuff or rub it out?

Cheers :toast:

Brad

Puff The Magic likes this.
  2. Puff The Magic

Puff The Magic Active Member

Break it up into little pieces and drop 'em into the bowl and go! :)

It's a very nice blend and when y'er cravin' it, nothing else will do.

Ed
    Puff

3. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

I think "rubbing" is a bit generous in this case....more like "touching" it....thats almost all you need for it to fall apart into an assortment of sizes of bits of tobacco ready to put in your bowl.

Yeah, you could smoke it more like a flake I suppose. But whats the point of a crumble cake if you don't go ahead and crumble that son of a gun? :bing:

Dondi likes this.
  4. soundlzrd

soundlzrd Active Member

Brad,

Your experience mirrors mine, except I opened a tin.

I break mine up, wait anxiously for 20 min, like right now, then light and enjoy.

Sean

Ps. I wonder if it has been twenty minutes...

5. Mister Moo

Mister Moo Normal Cow Moderator

Dry considerably, rub slightly, tamp gently, smoke privately. MMoo

6. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

I open a tin, try my darndest to remove two whole flakes, drop them in a pipe, and enjoy. No need to dry...in fact, I believe drying it diminishes it. YMMV, but keep in mind I'm always right. (OK, I never admit I'm wrong, but it's the same thing really.)

7. MarkC

MarkC Member

Does Penzance age well? I have heard others say that it does not. I think I have more than I could smoke in 4 or 5 years.

Mark

8. Mister Moo

Mister Moo Normal Cow Moderator

It softens for sure but I don't think it tanks over 4-5 years

9. sorringowl

sorringowl Purveyor of PAAD

Just got my mitts on some of this stuff at a Southwest Pipe & Cigar League meeting last weekend and had a bowl at the meeting. Interesting stuff but I've been a little too busy since then to sit down and really focus my attention on it. Maybe today? I will have to try some of the suggestions here for folding, rubbing, etc.

10. Ol Brokedik

Ol Brokedik Active Member

I age my Penzance in the cellar for around 2 years. I leave an air space in the jar around one inch. After two years sugar crystals are showing. This is as far as I take the ageing process. I open all my quart jars and fill them to the brim. I crumble to smoke, so handling isn't a problem. I jam the tobacco in the jars as much as I can to reduce the amount of air left behind.

I think this will give me quality smoke for the next 5 years. My biggest concern is the supply of Penzance. I hope it's still around in 5 years.

Be well.
    Ol Brokedik.

11. Puff The Magic

Puff The Magic Active Member

Anybody know "why" Esoterica blends are only distributed to USA? That's sort of unfair to the rest of the world IMO. That's always made me wonder.

Ed
    Puff

P.S. My Penzance (jar'd) is only a year old (from bulk bag) and is showing "snow" already. :)

12. Mington

Mington Well-Known Member

I bought a tin of Penzance locally awhile back and right after that, a generous member here sent me some 5 year old Penzance.
    It was a big difference! The 5 year old was much smoother and tamer. I like the younger one too, but save what little I have left of the 5 year for special occasions and am going to cellar some of my new tin for a few years.

13. MarkC

MarkC Member

I had to revisit this yesterday. I love the tin note and the way these flakes crumble and burn. Very few relights and such a nice interesting smoke.

Mark

14. BradNTX

There's too much talk of Penzance! I'm going for anudder bowl today. :bing:

15. BradNTX

I do goofy stuff sometimes, playing around with different things. The smell of Penzance, when I opened the jar, was just too good. I got greedy. I pulled out two flakes, folded & stuffed my light Neerup, which has a 3/4" diameter bowl. I had to really cram the flakes in to get them to fit. I flatened them a bit, and dropped some crumbs on top to light.

I was thinking in the back of my head that it probably would not smoke well, would take many relights, and might be too harsh, but the smell of the fresh toby overcame reason. Now, I did let the flakes sit out for 1/2 hour to dry a little. They aren't overly moist, but thought it would aid it's smokability, being crammed.

Surprisingly, it lit well, and with 2/3 of the bowl smoked, it has been GREAT! Smooth, creamy, tasty. No issues with realights. Once so far, and that was due to conversation w/the wife, who left sooner than she intended due to the smell. She said it wasn't a bad odor, just too thick a smoke to stay long (he he).

I've also noticed that Gracie, the Irish Terrier does not care for Lat blends. This is the 3rd lat blend that she has begged out of the study on. The cat however, either doesn't mind or likes it OK. He's still lounging on the day bed.

Another fold & stuff flake? I think so! :)

Kiowapipe and Rewster66 like this.
  16. Kiowapipe

Kiowapipe Active Member

After a few more bowls (smoking one now) I feel like I'm really getting a handle on Penzance. I love it. It doesn't seem to be very dynamic, just a stable, very solid flavor. Earthy. Smooth. Not so much leather and spice, more like old books. I think where it really shines and stands out from the crowd though is in its body to friendliness ratio. Some of the other top tier Englishes can feel a little thin sometimes- not Penzance. It has very voluminous satisfying body and a heavy feel to it, yet it remains very easy to smoke with no fear of bite or nic-knock or struggles to keep it lit. Big satisfaction. Not my favorite, but no doubt that it deserves its place on the top shelf.

17. t-bear

t-bear Well-Known Member

Mmmmmm, Penzance! I love this stuff! Yes, it ages well. It doesn't "change" so much as mellow. After 5-6 years, it has lost that sharp edge, giving me a rich mellow, and delightful smoke. Mine is nicely frosted with sugar crystals........................

18. ChrisD

ChrisD Member

Oh geez, I have 2 tins and an 8 oz bag of penzance in the cellar, and its taking a lot of restraint not ot tear open the bag and try this stuff out.

19. Kiowapipe

Kiowapipe Active Member

Go for it! Put most of it in a mason jar and seal it up and keep out a few bowls to smoke now ;)

20. Gary

Gary Member

"old books" nails it. First time I smoked Penzance I tasted something that led me to think it had some strong casing or scent that would ghost the pipe so hadn't smoked a bowl since. Mentioned this to another pipe smoker and he said must have something ghosting the pipe, so this morning i made it my first smoke, and he's right.

This is a great smoke. Rubbed out a couple flakes, filled a bowl and waited about 10 minutes while my coffee was brewing. Took a couple lights to get it fired up and hasn't needed a relight. This is a great smoke. Very relaxed. Not overly complex. Again, the old books reference is dead on accurate. This is from a tin I opened a couple weeks ago.

Definitely something I'd order again.

BradNTX likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.