First tin of Full Virginia Flake is now open

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by LutzSpearo, May 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LutzSpearo

LutzSpearo Member

I keep a digital humidity monitor in my home office, when I opened the tin I swear the humidity in the room increased almost 10%. This stuff is MOIST! But it also smells incredible, I want to eat it (restraint!). I'm going to leave the tin off overnight and see how it looks in the morning.

10 thick lovely flakes waiting to be smoked. I can't wait! I must wait! Arg!

Off to smoke a bowl of Blackwoods Reserve, I'm wondering how they will compare in flavor, strength etc.

Morse, p120d16y, rondel65 and 3 others like this.
  2. Huby Springer

Huby Springer Active Member

I just tried this myself. Left the tin open for a day then rubbed out one flake. A little trouble getting it to stay lit but was able to get it going. Smoked a bit steamy. I think I didn't give it enough drying time so I'm going to revisit in a couple of weeks.

LutzSpearo likes this.
  3. Tony Malerich

Tony Malerich Sales Account

Beyond saying they're a bit different, I can't give you much help off the top of my head. I like both blends. I think I'm the oddball who likes FVF a little less than the other, but still, a lovely smoke. Enjoy!

Morse likes this.
  4. Scottly

Scottly Member

I have had the best results by rubbing some out and then let it air from 20 minutes to an 1 hour depending on moisture level.
    This is the most satisfying tobacco I have smoked.
    It will be totally different from the Blackwoods. To me FVF is smoother by far.

PipeSimmo likes this.
  5. ArmedOctopus

ArmedOctopus Active Member

I thought it smelled like wet hay. Blech!:beyes:

But then, I hate pure virginias. Let the hating commence.

6. Smokey Tom

Smokey Tom Active Member

No hating, its not that kind of forum! :bangin: I've been wanting to try this for a while, but it was out of stock when I placed my first big order. And my wife wants me to finish everything before I order more. I tried to explain cellaring to her, but she doesn't buy it. :mad:

7. Tony Malerich

Woohoo! One less person vying for my favorite baccy blends!

...is that what hate looks like?

p120d16y and MikeInMaine like this.
  8. Smokey Tom

Smokey Tom Active Member

[​IMG]

9. furious

furious Junque collector

Either let it air dry in the tin for a month or more depending on the local climate, or do as I do with a fresh tin: dry the flakes under a 100w desk lamp for about an hour before folding and stuffing into a stacked billiard. Works like a charm!!

PipeSimmo and Tony Malerich like this.
  10. ArmedOctopus

ArmedOctopus Active Member

Just wait till all the women-folks start thinking "Wait a minute....you spend all this money on leaves and then BURN THEM?!?!?"

Let's just pray they never make that connection.

p120d16y and Thuber88 like this.
  11. Smokey Tom

Smokey Tom Active Member

Bah, plenty of women smoke. Maybe not pipes, but women smoke.

12. Tony Malerich

Yeah, I think I got it wrong then

p120d16y and Smokey Tom like this.
  13. Huby Springer

Huby Springer Active Member

I had really high hopes for FVF and now I know they are well founded due to the following:

A couple of weeks ago I was in one of my local tobacco shops and I asked the clerk which of his jars had just straight unblended tobac in them. I'm new, I've a lot to learn. Anyway, I ended up getting a Cavendish and a Virginia. Both very good. Well, last night I loaded up the Savinelli 320 Sistina with the Virginia. This is a big bowl and it resulted in a 1 hour and 45 minute smoke. During the first half the tobac tasted pretty much exactly like the FVF did. The turning point was right in the middle of the bowl. Where my *not properly dried* FVF turned kind of steamy and bitey, the ribbon cut Va. from the tobacco shop went straight into this awesome baked, bakey, baked goods, pancake ish kind of flavor.

I have never had tobac taste like that before. It was excellent. I fully expect the same, and maybe more, out of FVF.

14. Mister Moo

Mister Moo Normal Cow Moderator Moderator

Here is Mister Moo's common language for flake moisture level. If you bend a flake in half (180*) and:

1.0 the ends don't splinter, it's pretty darn moist.
    2.0 the ends sort of fracture and sort of bend, it's not too moist.
    3.0 the ends all bend to breaking it's real dry
    4.0 the stuff crumbles in your hand before it's bent 90* then the stuff is slap dried out

I like FVF around 2.9. Others may or may not agree; flakes are personal.

MacNutz, Morse, p120d16y and 5 others like this.
  15. Scottly

Scottly Member

I to prefer mine on the slightly dry side. I think it is much better vs. to moist.

p120d16y and rondel65 like this.
  16. Fat Lenny

Fat Lenny Member

FVF is the only tobacco that I will let a full bowl taper out at the halfway mark in order to finish an hour or more later. Such thick, slow burning flakes deserve a little smokey seasoning.

p120d16y and MikeInMaine like this.
  17. ronbruce61

ronbruce61 Member

Totally forgot I had stashed an open tin of Dunhill Flake in my nite stand drawer.Found it today and decided well why not.I opened the tin to reveal what looked like the dryest flakes I'd ever seen(West Texas will do that to tobacco in a hurry).Pulled a couple strips from the tin and began to rub them out.They rubbed quite easily but still looked awfully dry.Stuffed the pipe brim full and hit her with the torch,tamp,relight,tamp,relight......relight.....these flakes aren't nearly as dry as one might think.Finally after light #4 we're going.Best damn Dunhill Flake expereience to date.I'm going to start leaving all my va flakes in that drawer.Can't wait to get the FVF and OGS to this moisture level.

BTW Mister Moo....I'm gonna say 2.9 is probably spot on.

Ron

18. LutzSpearo

LutzSpearo Member

Thanks for the input and advice everyone, it was helpful! I'll now be sure to let it dry out well, and will keep myself from trying it too early.

19. p120d16y

p120d16y Active Member

Might help you to just leaved the lid of the tin popped slightly off for a day or two in your cabinet, close it back up a day or two, repeat. If you're not worried about aging it long term in the closed tin, anyway.

20. LutzSpearo

LutzSpearo Member

I think that is what I'm going to do. After having the lid off overnight, it looks a little better but is still plainly too moist. I've got the cover on loosely now, and will air it out again tonight. I'm not going to age this batch, but if I like it I'll order several more tins and stick most of them away for a while.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.