First tin of Full Virginia Flake is now open

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by LutzSpearo, May 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. p120d16y

p120d16y Active Member

I have a few full flakes in a jar from January still too wet. Occasionally I just open the jars up for 20-30 minutes, close them back up, and do it again the next month. The SG flakes are all soggy wet. Keep in mind smoking them too wet will give a bad impression as well. They will be too steamy and flavorless.

LutzSpearo likes this.
  2. jason1977

jason1977 Active Member

Of course ya wanna eat it.....it smells like a french fry dipped in ketchup, LOL!

~~~FVF is good stuff, once you experience FVF I'd like to ask u to consider trying McClelland's Kansas City Pipe Club's "Boston 1776" & tell me which one u like better. On some days I'll like one over the other & on other days I prefer the other one........and the best part is the indecision & checking & re-checking, LOL! It's a great smoke, awesome in a cob, ~enjoy!

LutzSpearo likes this.
  3. cobbsmoker

cobbsmoker Active Member

McClelland's Blackwoods Flake :thu: Sam Gawith Full Virginia Flake :thdn:

jason1977 likes this.
  4. jason1977

jason1977 Active Member

Yeah? Never had it. Aged & matured Va's?

5. cobbsmoker

cobbsmoker Active Member

Natural flue-cured sweetness in a bowl... :ohyh:

6. cigrmaster

cigrmaster Member

For the best results to my tastes, I find that when I cube cut FVF and let it sit out for a good hour plus and then smoke it in a group 4 Dublin, it is sublime. I smoke flakes exclusively and FVF is definitely the most finicky out of the 25 in my rotation. It took time before I found the right style and size of pipe and the perfect moisture. FVF is a demanding mistress for sure, but when she is treated right, she is oh so good.

Scottly likes this.
  7. Tony Malerich

Tony Malerich Active Member

Thank you for this! Tried it out tonight and it's my best bowl of FCF yet!

8. LutzSpearo

LutzSpearo Member

I finally smoked it last night! I read around and cube-cutting has been recommended more than a few times, so I tried that (first time doing it) and smoked it in a Sav 315KS (a big prince). Just gravity fill, no "packing" at all. I really enjoyed it, a little sweet, thick smoke, medium strength nic-wise and a nice, rich natural taste. I especially liked how, towards the bottom of the bowl, it certainly tasted more rich and strong, but not rough or bitter... I even caught a taste of chocolate on one draw. I'm no connoisseur and my palate is not experienced or trained, but I can see why so many people like it. I think even though I gave it a good amount of time (days) drying, it was still a little too moist because it needed several relights. I'm going to pull another flake out tonight, cube it, let it dry like that for a couple hours, and see how it goes. If that makes it smoke even better, I'm definitely going to order more.

9. LutzSpearo

LutzSpearo Member

This stuff REALLY needs some drying time! I smoked it again last night, good but still too moist. I think I need to leave the lid off the jar for like two whole days more maybe. The humidity level in that room is 50-60%, maybe that's why it's taking so long to dry to a proper moisture level?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.