1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.
  2. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

First trip to Boswell's

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by prole, Feb 11, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. prole

prole Member

Hey guys, just got back. Was gonna put these pics in Furious' thread but I won't hijack his.

Picked up a little poker today. The guys in the store are absolutely great. As soon as you step in they are asking what you're looking for, bringing trays of pipes out, and pointing out the pieces that might suit you.

Upstairs is a great smoking lounge. Two wide open rooms with large, leather couches everywhere. Big ash trays stocked with pipe cleaners and match boxes all over. No distracting tvs or electronics (great clarity for an iphone/ipad junkie like myself).

Here's the 'Grey Ghost' I snagged.

[​IMG]

And again with a little direct light and a few objects for size perspective...

[​IMG]

And a shot that shows a little of the smooth grain up top...
    [​IMG]

Prolly not a color scheme that's for everyone. The silvery-grey stem with the black and light brown rustication is very sharp looking in real life. I had been wanting a poker for a long time. Along with the pipe I was given the nice and solid feeling Czech tool (in the photo above), a handful of cleaners, matches and a nice sock and box. He threw in an oz of tobacco of my choice as well.

This being my first non-estate pipe, I asked the carver himself on how it should be broken in. He said fill 'er up. In went a full bowl of Boswell's Premium Burley. This pipe smoked as good on it's first bowl as my best two pipes period; an estate Peterson 68 and my Savinelli Auto 5 series. Three relights total and all that was left was grey powder.

The staff here is awesome. The pipe selection is vast and the prices are very, very reasonable. Forget Boswell ebay prices. If you can make the drive, go in person. See and handle all the pipes, have a long relaxing smoke, get treated like a real friend/customer and save the cash some pipe flipping ebay con-man is after.

I'll get a photo up in the 'pic of you smoking a pipe thread' once it's rested a little more and it's ready for another smoke.

Officially I'm a very big fan of the pokers now. Right now Marco from Moretti is carving me another poker which should be ready soon, maybe I'll name it 'Fat Man', the ghost's bigger bro. That's for another thread but here is the work in progress pic I received the other day...

[​IMG]

Thanks for reading,
    Cheers

2. soundlzrd

soundlzrd Active Member

Awesome pipe! Glad to hear you enjoyed your visit too!

Are you going to join the rest of us in march?

3. prole

prole Member

Man, I'd really like to. What are the dates for that? The 17th is my bday and will be out drinking green beer and whiskey with the buds. The following weekend I'm in Vegas to meet my brothers. If not's not either of those two weekends, I will definitely make time

Also, for those who are after those Sam Gawaith blends or however it's spelled, they have all different tins from those guys. I saw Squadron Leader and FVF, just two I see mentioned here as being sought after. They will mail order these out as well.

4. furious

furious Junque collector

Really nice pipe!! I looked very closely at a similar one when I was there but decided on another poker. There are so many nice pipes there!! Very hard to choose just one. Hoping to add a shot shell soon. Hope you all can make it in March. Should be fun.

5. MarkC

MarkC Member

Enjoy! Both are great looking pipes.

Mark

6. Capt

Capt Active Member

I will make it there one day, I want one of his shotshell pipes!

Rewster66 likes this.
  7. soundlzrd

soundlzrd Active Member

It is the weekend of the 24th, which sounds like the Vegas time for you. Hopefully next time!

8. BurghBriar

BurghBriar Member

Great looking pipes, that Boswell poker will become a good friend soon enough I wager. Looking forward to March; the weather today was certainly not conducive to crossing the hills in any case.

9. sarge564

sarge564 Member

No tobacco shake on the keyboard.....this is a problem!

Dondi likes this.
  10. Lestrade

Lestrade Active Member

Sweet pipe!

11. Tortuga

Tortuga Member

I really like that pipe. Interesting name as well. I've read a lot about the Confederate Colonel, John Mosby, who was referred to as "The Gray Ghost." He was famous for guerilla actions against the Union armies, largely in the Shenandoah Valley. I wrote a long report on him back in school.

12. Spaceboy Tim

Spaceboy Tim Member

Thanks for sharing your experience. I might be moving to Ann Arbor next year so if I can find some time I'll definitely check out Boswell's in person. Also, those are some nice looking pipes although I am biased because pokers are my favourites.

13. davidmackv

davidmackv Active Member

Boswell's is an awesome place to visit. Not only do they have the wonderful lounge upstairs they have canisters full of all their tobaccos in it for you to smoke as you please.

14. Hawkwood

Hawkwood Member

Nice Poker! I can't say enough positive things about Boswell. Old school excellence.

Rewster66 likes this.
  15. Morse

Morse Active Member

Great story/review. I would love to get there one day, I have a couple of Boswells and I love 'em. Great pipe too!

16. Jeebs

Jeebs Active Member

Very nice Pokers, I've been over at Boswell website. I see they offer a full and extended line of Poker Pipes.. Moretti looks like a nice 1 also.. I'm sure you will enjoy them...

17. Rewster66

Rewster66 Active Member

18. user1975

user1975 Active Member

That's one sweet poker! I hope to make it to Boswell's one day, but it's a long drive from Georgia.:(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.