1. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

First venture into McClelland, Wilderness to start

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by WrightwoodJohn, Nov 24, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WrightwoodJohn

WrightwoodJohn Wrightwood expatriate

Picked up a couple of new tins, McClelland Wilderness & Brindle Flake. Absolutely loved the Wilderness, mild to medium, and I guess the Latakia at the forefront. Smooth, nutty, it was like EMP with a just a tad higher octane. Looks good for an anytime of day smoke. The Brindle I'll probably sit on for awhile. Had read alot of good about McClelland, now I see why.

2. Lestrade

Lestrade Active Member

You have a lot of good smoking ahead!
    Have not tried the new version but the old Brindle Flake was supurb, IMHO.
    Happy Smoking! :puffy:

3. Stryder

Stryder Member

Welcome to Light side! McC has some great tobaks....got an order in for wilderness myself.
    Try some Christmas Cheer 2011...very smooth and tasty

4. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

Give Legends a go sometime. I preferred it pretty handily over the Wilderness, but both are good smokes.

McClellands has such a vast assortment of blends - something for most anyone. Excellent blender.

5. WrightwoodJohn

Thanks dm, I'll look for legends. I was hoping for 3 oaks syrian but they didn't have it (they being the semi-local tabac shop). Great assortment as you said...

6. beaupipe

beaupipe Active Member

Wilderness is great stuff and I think I prefer it to all other McC Latakia blends. I find it incredibly complex on those rare occasions where I get to sit and just ponder what I'm puffing. Really, that whole Tad Gage/Fred Hanna collection--3 Oaks Syrian/3 Oaks/Legends/Wilderness is excellent.

7. BigJ

BigJ Active Member

I just opened my brindle flake dated 5/10. Im really excited for it. Smells like what you'd expect from a Va, wet hay! Yum. Letting it dry out a bit before i have a go. I'll let you know how it is

8. WrightwoodJohn

Xlnt! I still haven't opened my brindle flake. Wilderness is just ok for me, I've spiked it with a little NC and that made it great!

9. BigJ

BigJ Active Member

So far so good with the brindle. It lights good (used cannonball method) has a very mild flavour with a nice underlying sweetness and it leaves a nice white ash. Not too bad at all. Since its such a mild smoke, I may save it for summertime. I prefer something that'll put a little hair on my chest in the winter. I must confess I prefer BBF and OGS, but this isn't a bad blend at all.

10. WrightwoodJohn

Right there with ya on the winter aspect....it's 42 & dropping right now, just finished a full bowl of london mixture:bing: par excellance!

11. BigJ

BigJ Active Member

Its a balmy 30 here. VA just wasnt doing it for me. Think ill need a good burley mix or 1792 later

12. AndyLowry

AndyLowry Member

Wilderness is a tricky one. I went through most of a tin of it, wondering what the heck the big deal was supposed to be. Then I accidentally loaded it into just the right pipe, and I'm still recovering from the swoon. It's really complicated, subtle stuff.

WrightwoodJohn likes this.
  13. WrightwoodJohn

Subtle & complicated....I like that, I will be trying it again this weekend, different pipe this time!

14. AndyLowry

AndyLowry Member

What worked for me was a thick-walled pipe. It has to smoke cool. Go slow. You may be surprised. :)

15. WrightwoodJohn

Thanks Andy, I've come back around to Wilderness. After starting out liking it quite abit, then softening on it, I tried some this morning in my pete kinsale and it was very good, very enjoyable! :bing:

16. cobbsmoker

cobbsmoker Active Member

Brindle Flake :thu2:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.