First venture into McClelland, Wilderness to start

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by WrightwoodJohn, Nov 24, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WrightwoodJohn

WrightwoodJohn Wrightwood expatriate

Picked up a couple of new tins, McClelland Wilderness & Brindle Flake. Absolutely loved the Wilderness, mild to medium, and I guess the Latakia at the forefront. Smooth, nutty, it was like EMP with a just a tad higher octane. Looks good for an anytime of day smoke. The Brindle I'll probably sit on for awhile. Had read alot of good about McClelland, now I see why.

2. Lestrade

Lestrade Active Member

You have a lot of good smoking ahead!
    Have not tried the new version but the old Brindle Flake was supurb, IMHO.
    Happy Smoking! :puffy:

3. Stryder

Stryder Member

Welcome to Light side! McC has some great tobaks....got an order in for wilderness myself.
    Try some Christmas Cheer 2011...very smooth and tasty

4. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

Give Legends a go sometime. I preferred it pretty handily over the Wilderness, but both are good smokes.

McClellands has such a vast assortment of blends - something for most anyone. Excellent blender.

5. WrightwoodJohn

Thanks dm, I'll look for legends. I was hoping for 3 oaks syrian but they didn't have it (they being the semi-local tabac shop). Great assortment as you said...

6. beaupipe

beaupipe Active Member

Wilderness is great stuff and I think I prefer it to all other McC Latakia blends. I find it incredibly complex on those rare occasions where I get to sit and just ponder what I'm puffing. Really, that whole Tad Gage/Fred Hanna collection--3 Oaks Syrian/3 Oaks/Legends/Wilderness is excellent.

7. BigJ

BigJ Active Member

I just opened my brindle flake dated 5/10. Im really excited for it. Smells like what you'd expect from a Va, wet hay! Yum. Letting it dry out a bit before i have a go. I'll let you know how it is

8. WrightwoodJohn

Xlnt! I still haven't opened my brindle flake. Wilderness is just ok for me, I've spiked it with a little NC and that made it great!

9. BigJ

BigJ Active Member

So far so good with the brindle. It lights good (used cannonball method) has a very mild flavour with a nice underlying sweetness and it leaves a nice white ash. Not too bad at all. Since its such a mild smoke, I may save it for summertime. I prefer something that'll put a little hair on my chest in the winter. I must confess I prefer BBF and OGS, but this isn't a bad blend at all.

10. WrightwoodJohn

Right there with ya on the winter aspect....it's 42 & dropping right now, just finished a full bowl of london mixture:bing: par excellance!

11. BigJ

BigJ Active Member

Its a balmy 30 here. VA just wasnt doing it for me. Think ill need a good burley mix or 1792 later

12. AndyLowry

AndyLowry Member

Wilderness is a tricky one. I went through most of a tin of it, wondering what the heck the big deal was supposed to be. Then I accidentally loaded it into just the right pipe, and I'm still recovering from the swoon. It's really complicated, subtle stuff.

WrightwoodJohn likes this.
  13. WrightwoodJohn

Subtle & complicated....I like that, I will be trying it again this weekend, different pipe this time!

14. AndyLowry

AndyLowry Member

What worked for me was a thick-walled pipe. It has to smoke cool. Go slow. You may be surprised. :)

15. WrightwoodJohn

Thanks Andy, I've come back around to Wilderness. After starting out liking it quite abit, then softening on it, I tried some this morning in my pete kinsale and it was very good, very enjoyable! :bing:

16. cobbsmoker

cobbsmoker Active Member

Brindle Flake :thu2:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.