1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.
  2. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

Fish tail stems

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by Tate, Jan 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tate

Tate Member

I recently got a straight 1964 Dunhill F/T Size 4 as a gift. Now the pipe smokes well enough, my first go at a Dunhill, but what I really fell in love with was the stem. I've never had a F/T stem before that is so slim and wide like this pipe has.

I'd love to find more of these style stems but I cannot afford to go around buying up costly Dunhills. I was looking for suggestions of other pipes that may have such stems or does anyone know of a pipe maker that can replicate a mouthpiece like that?

Thanks.

2. Riff Raff

Riff Raff Active Member

I was just admiring some Dunhill F/T stems yesterday, they are quite graceful. Barlings are built similar, go for the older ones.

3. Old Ted

Old Ted Active Member

I can!....and even put a white spot in 'em!:ohyh:
    OT

MikeInMaine and snowman like this.
  4. Tate

Tate Member

Haha, do tell.

5. Tate

Tate Member

Any idea of the year range or models of the Barlings? I did a quick search on Ebay and saw that there were some Barling's in the 30-50 dollar range but others were fetching upwards of 200 dollars. And none of them looked quite like that fishtail stem.

6. Old Ted

Old Ted Active Member

....I just did!
    OT:)

snowman likes this.
  7. Tate

Tate Member

So you're a pipe maker? I'm new here so I'm asking honestly, was that just some jest saying you can forge a Dunhill stem or are you saying you produce pipes? Sorry for my ignorance.

8. Raffxr7

Raffxr7 Active Member

I admit I am unfamiliar with dunhills, but I absolutely love the fishtails of the 70s. They are the most comfortable pipes I have had. I particularly like Willards and Brewsters, though they are screw in. Willard has a removable stinger, Brewster doesn't need it to remove because it is VERY free flowing. I even grafted a Brewster stem onto a cob. Next up is a Willard graft.

9. Old Ted

Old Ted Active Member

No appologies needed.....and both!
    [​IMG]

10. Tate

Tate Member

Well then. Have a website? Dazzle me with your wares, sir. =)

11. Tate

Tate Member

I don't believe I've ever owned a screw in stem. How do they perform and how hard are they to clean? I've always stayed away from them.

12. Old Ted

Old Ted Active Member

The only website I visit is this one LOL!....I 'playaround' with pipes in between other jobs in my shop (and by request, occasionally!)... but mainly for an old man's fun and entertainment (I don't like watching TV!):ohyh:
    ot

snowman likes this.
  13. snowman

snowman Member

Tate. OT, Does great work.He can make what you want.

MikeInMaine and Old Ted like this.
  14. Raffxr7

Raffxr7 Active Member

Some screw tenons perform well, example being Kaywoodie. Most folks dislike them, though. They have their advantages, but can't pass a pipe cleaner in most cases. However, you can just unscrew it mid-smoke and blow the moisture out of the stem and then reconnect and continue. :) I like them, but I don't normally need to run a pipe cleaner down the stem mid-smoke.

15. Old Ted

Old Ted Active Member

Thanks for the heads up snowman!.....here's a pic of todays effort - needs finishing tomorrow! (a bit more sanding, staining and polishing) it's got nice thick walls.....should be a good smoker!
    [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.