1. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

Five Bros. is officially pipe tobacco...now.

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by yinyang, May 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

I picked up a couple pouches on my way home this morning...nothing seemed different, until I realized the script says 'PIPE TOBACCO!' instead of 'SMOKING TOBACCO!'. I know it's minor and doesn't affect the contents, but yet again, another concession made to avoid getting lumped in with RYO deviants and their tax evading maneuvers. I guess I shouldn't gripe at the do it yourselfers...it's the govts. that be and their hazy laws. Still, I found the statement smoking tobacco a pleasant throwback in time. Guess it's time to stop reminiscing and start realizing what the future will likely entail.

Yeay, progress...:(

2. OldSchool

OldSchool Member

I've noticed the same thing on recent tubs of PA -- they've gone from "Smoking Tobacco" to honest-to-God "Pipe Tobacco".

3. jpberg

jpberg Moderator Moderator

I noticed this on some McC tins a while back, when I was visiting at 4noggins. Rich told me the exact scoop, which I don't remember, but it is some type of legal stuff that all have gone to.

4. yinyang

JP...do you recall if Rich made it sound as if it was law, or just an intentional decision to avoid being labeled(and therefore, taxed as) RYO? I was, and am, under the impression it's the later.

As an aside...anyone actually know a person who uses PA, Five Bros., etc., exclusively for rolling cigarettes anyways? Geez, there can't be many...at least not enough to put dollar signs in the eyes, or pockets, of big brother.

5. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

I know someone that rolls cigs from Five Bros. He's 39 years old and I expect him to live to be 45.

6. tedswearingen

tedswearingen Member

I don't roll any pipe tobacco exclusively, but there are a few blends that I enjoy smoking as a cigarette; G&H's Kendal Light works better than some. In my humble opinion there's a difference between cigarette addicts trying to save money by smoking pipe tobacco and dudes who simply enjoy tobacco. Personally, I'm of the latter. I smoke my pipe three to six times a day, a variety of cigars a few times a year, and occasionally I'll take one of my favorite blends, roll it up in cigarette paper, and slowly enjoy a brief smoke. I don't inhale tobacco smoke, and savor the handful of exotic tobacco cigarettes I smoke annually similarly to the way I enjoy pipes and cigars.

7. yinyang

I'm 37, and like Five Bros...course I don't routinely inhale 20 cigs a day of it. (Or, inhale at all, for that matter). I plan on dying young in a more traditional way...by being nagged to death. Or possibly by the electric chair, whilst claiming self defense...it's really a toss up, ATM.

8. yinyang

You bring up an important distinction I wish the anti tobacco do gooders could only wrap their little minds around.

9. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

When I was strictly a cigarette smoker I went through several pouches of Half and Half. I've never tried it in a pipe.

10. jpberg

jpberg Moderator Moderator

As of around April 1st of last year all tins/bags, etc., had to be labeled to declare what the use of the product was. Cig vs. pipe I imagine, and I don't know if it was mandated or just a CYA tax issue.

If you need incomplete and confusing information about anything else, I'm here for you.

11. yinyang

Where do babies come from, JP? My wife won't tell me, and I'm too embarrassed to ask my knappy headed children...:)

SmokeyJoe likes this.
  12. Bahnzo

Bahnzo Member

5 Bros. is a kick ass hamburger joint!

13. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

I just smoked a batch of Kendal Light (now Kendal Gold), but in a pipe. On the other hand, if they still made those Sobranie cigarettes that came 10 to a tin, I'd smoke those! Those were tasty devils, and didn't need to be inhaled to be enjoyed. Indeed, inhaling them reduced their flavor significantly.

14. Beale

Beale Active Member

The only thing I ever "Rolled" in a paper was illeagal! Beale.

15. daveinlax

daveinlax Member

Yeah it's a tax issue. I stopped into the local tobacco outlet last year and found all the RYO tobacco's relabeled "Pipe Tobacco" with a sticker. :confused:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.