1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

Five Minutes Between Puffs With No Relight

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by Mount Mandolin, Feb 28, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mount Mandolin

Mount Mandolin Active Member

So, I was sitting on the porch, smoking my fairly new Sasquatch pipe, which has quickly become my new favorite pipe. It is an absolutely joy to behold, and an even greater joy to smoke. I was (and still am, actually) smoking some 2007 FVF that I just opened, a tobacco that is one of my very favorites but which has been known to give some people a bit of trouble with loading and staying lit. Gawith flakes did give me those problems at first, but I have learned how to handle them now, and the rewards of doing so are tremendous.

Anyhow, I got up to go inside and get a glass of water, and I also went to the restroom, ate a few saltine crackers, and fed the dog. All this probably took 4-5 minutes. When I came back outside, I expected to have to relight my pipe, but when I drew on it, I was astonished when I produced smoke from it, and with a quick little fingers-over-the-top-of-the-bowl carburator action, I was right back smoking in full swing. So, this got me wondering.

Is it the pipe, or is it me, or is it both, or what? I have only been smoking a pipe for a few years, and I don't pretend to be some sort of master or anything. I will say, however, that I know how to fill a pipe properly and how to smoke one without any frustration. Still, I have never had a pipe stay lit for five minutes without drawing on it.

So what I'm asking is this: does a well-made pipe somehow stay lit for longer without relights than a lesser pipe? And if so, why? Obviously Sasquatch is known for the superior engineering of his pipes, and I can certainly vouch for that. So is that what's at work here, or did I just get really lucky and fill the pipe perfectly this one time? I know this reads like an advertisement for BST pipes, but I'm really curious about this. Every time I smoke this pipe, I get a stronger and stronger sense that I will need to trade in some of my other pipes and replace them with BST's.

NumberSix, Old Codger and dBear like this.
  2. Old Ted

Old Ted Active Member

It happens to me occasionally, when I've put the pipe in a pocket to go in a store or non smoking area. I don't think the actual design of the pipe has anything to do with it, probably a combination of tobacco condition/type and packing, after all - to a smouldering wad of tobacco one hole bored in a piece of wood is the same as another, the difference only showing when you start smoking it......but I could be wrong:)
    OT

Old Codger, dmkerr and Mount Mandolin like this.
  3. Tate

Tate Member

How did you have the FVF packed?

4. 1858remington

1858remington Active Member

five minutes between puffs...... aint nobody got time fo dat!:byg:

AussieTX, zippo and Mount Mandolin like this.
  5. Mount Mandolin

Well, I always rub it out completely, and then I just kind of put it in there. I mean, my packing method is some kind of loose variant of the three step method, but I don't really follow that method to a T. I just kind of know how to do it, I do it by feel in other words. So I had it packed the same way I always pack it, basically.

Oh, and I dry it to a fairly low moisture level. Certainly not crispy, but I get it much dryer than it comes in the tin. I find that if you dry the flakes out while they're still whole and then rub them out, the ribbons tend to be a better length and easier to smoke.

Old Codger likes this.
  6. buistd

buistd Sales Account

It has happened to me a couple of times - both with my Zavvos billiard. The two-times-in-the-same-pipe thing is probably just coincidence. Probably a combination of it being lit just right when I set it down, packed just right, and probably a gentle breeze to keep the embers smouldering.

p120d16y likes this.
  7. cobbsmoker

cobbsmoker Active Member

I smoke a "lesser" pipe and have experienced the same thing while smoking McClelland flake tobaccos, I think it has more to do with the pack and preparation of the tobacco and the air movement in the area where the pipe has been laid down.

8. Mount Mandolin

When I mentioned "lesser" pipes, that was mostly a compliment to Mr. Squatch, not an implication that I smoke better pipes than everyone else.

But it looks like there's somewhat of a consensus that it probably isn't the pipe. Sorry, Todd. :)

Old Codger and dmkerr like this.
  9. cobbsmoker

cobbsmoker Active Member

It's all good...:th1:

10. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

+1 on this.

11. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

For a second, I thought we had an elitist snob in the making here! Berg and I are getting lonely! :D

jpberg, Spillproof, Albert and 3 others like this.
  12. cobbsmoker

cobbsmoker Active Member

:haha:

13. bosun

bosun Active Member

Doesn't happen often which makes it a memorable event! Sort of like falling into an old outhouse hole and finding a bag of coins! There is a word for it, but it is lost some where in my memory retention/recall meatware!

Spillproof likes this.
  14. Spillproof

Spillproof Mostly Harmless Moderator

Newcombe wrote about this in regard to a Bo Nordh pipe he left unattended for several minutes while at a wedding.

Bo said it was because of a nice gentle wind ;-)

Pipemakers are liars.

p120d16y and Old Codger like this.
  15. bosun

bosun Active Member

don't see an edit button, but managed to dredge 'serendipity' up from the memory pit...

16. craig

craig Active Member

i have had it happen to me in my falcons, like you it was also while smoking a flake (g&h louisiana flake), it was a good few minutes between puffs but the smoke was still there and the finger thing worked it back to a full smoke.

i think it could possibly be the flake is at its optimum moisture level and just smoulders away nicely, mind i do tamp quite often so maybe the cherry has maximum contact with the unburned tobacco....again like most of my thoughts i may be way off the mark but its what seems the simplest explanation to me :D

17. MikeInMaine

MikeInMaine Passes for human

Your neighbor probably snuck over and was puffing on it while you were inside.

briarhoff, Spillproof and jpberg like this.
  18. NumberSix

NumberSix Member

This has happened to me on occasion (wish it happened more often). I would guess it's a combo of things, but Sasquatch's pipes I am sure helps.

19. briarhoff

briarhoff Member

:poke: Yeah, like how often does one fall into an old outhouse hole, let alone finding coins when you do. :poop: What, every two, three years? Doesn't happen often, but it is memorable. :puffy:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.