Five Year Experiment

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Tony Malerich, Aug 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mojo66

mojo66 Member

I've seen remarkable changes wih PS LNF over 5 years with occasional tasting. It would be interesting to know the differences? in a sealed jar.

2. Tony Malerich

Tony Malerich Sales Account

Ain't that the truth! I've been stocking up on Newminster SNF enough such that I think I can manage to keep a portion of it set aside for this experiment. I actually haven't had McClelland 5100 yet but I'm getting enough to try and to stash... but if I really like it that may well be challenging!

3. HazyDat620

HazyDat620 Member

lol, yeah probably be easier aging something you don't like.

4. Tony Malerich

Well, my 5100 arrived yesterday courtesy of FNG. Unfortunately I REALLY like it. Best get that jarred and stashed stat before I smoke it all. Will probably have to order more soon.

5. mtsgsd

mtsgsd Active Member

I'd like to suggest that comparing the two different jars will tell you all you need to know. Comparing them to a brand new tin bought at the end of the 5 year period wouldn't have any real meaning because of different crops, QC etc. In fact, you should make sure both samples are from the same lot, otherwise you once again aren't making a meaningful comparison.

6. Tony Malerich

As an interesting note, thanks to a current thread on aging I went to read an article on Pipedia from G.L. Pease. Of note, he says very specifically NOT to crack open.

"Q: What's the best way to store tobacco for aging?
    A: Ideally, tobacco should be left in its original sealed tin, and stored in a cool, dry place. It's important to realize that storage in plastic bags and the like, while allowing the tobacco to "meld," will prevent the true aging process. Plastic bags are permeable to small molecules. (Water, while not a very large molecule, is polarized, and has a hard time penetrating the barrier formed by the plastic.) If you can smell the contents through the bag, you're losing flavor and aroma! Mason jars, bail-top jars and so on are good candidates for long term storage, as long as you can resist the urge to open them to "check up" on what's happening. Aging tobacco must be left alone, with no gas exchange allowed. Once an aged tin is open, the contents should either be smoked relatively quickly, or transferred to a jar with a good seal."

Full article here... http://pipedia.org/index.php?title=Pipe_Tobaccos#Aging

That said, at worst 4 ounces of tobacco aren't as spectacular after five years as they could be. Considering the amount in my cellar already... I can live with that!

7. IrishRover

IrishRover Active Member

5 years... I wonder if I could do it. I have some stuff that's 3 years in the jar. I wonder if I could hold out another 2

8. SouthBound

SouthBound Active Member

Do it, you wuss!

9. jason1977

jason1977 Active Member

Sounds like an awesome experiment. I was wondering, would it make sense to get 1 tin strictly for the aerobic aging & another tin to remain unopened? Aren't we comparing aging methods? If one was purchased after the 5 yr. period, it may in fact be only 2 to 3 yrs old. For the sake of consistency, give or take a year or 2, wouldn't it be a good idea to have 2 tins at the beginning of the experiment? 1 being the manipulated variable (open once a year) & the constant controlled variable? (remains the same, no change).

I may have missed it in your write up, & if I did, feel free to call me a maroon, lol...

10. PickingLeaves

PickingLeaves Member

I think you guys need to get info on how the batches are numbered. If you want a "fresh" tin you should have no problem getting one if you just know what to ask for. I know from projects like this that the tobacco importers and distributors love these kind of experiments and if you call them up in 5 years and know what you want they will probably help you in every way they can.

I'd like to take part in this but there is no way a tin will remain untouched for 5 years...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.