1. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

Flake in Mason Jar

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by IrishRover, Jun 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. IrishRover

IrishRover Active Member

Hi! I am wondering how you guys handle flakes when storing them in mason jars? Do you cram the flakes in as much as possible without breaking them? Or, do you rub them out as much as possible and then cram the tobacco in?
    Cheers! :toast:

2. Cogitans Fumus

Cogitans Fumus Member

Personally I fill as much as possible with the flakes unbroken and standing up. I rub it out and let it air for about an hour before smoking.

3. WyoBob

WyoBob Member

I keep the flakes intact and rub it out as I smoke it.

WyoBob

4. Glenn

Glenn Active Member

I keep them intact as much as I can. Some do better than others. G&H flakes you just sorta have to cram in there, they won't stay together as well as some others. Esoterica flakes like Stonehaven I cut in half and put them in pint sized jars. Most others will fit in a pint jar whole. Just take your time and the flakes will slide in neatly.

5. MarkC

MarkC Member

I try to keep them as intact as possible but sometimes you just have to cram, if in a hurry.

Mark

6. IrishRover

IrishRover Active Member

Thanks for the tips!

7. Ol Brokedik

Ol Brokedik Active Member

I will be called, "heretic". I jam the flakes in hard. I compress the tobacco as tightly as I can. I'd rather crumble a good tobacco, than take the chance that too much air has killed the flake.

If I were jarring up a straight Virginia, I could take the time to arrange the flakes. A straight Virginia will age beautifully. If there's any Burley or Latakia in the flake, I want to remove as much air as I can from the jar.

Be well.
    Ol Brokedik.

8. Puff The Magic

Puff The Magic Active Member

I have crammed it all in there. I've stood the slices of Stonehaven straight up in tall jars (12 oz Ball). I've coiled them in rolls of 4-5 flakes (8 oz Ball, 2-3 layers of these coiled rolls). I've stood 1/4 lb's worth of GH & SG flakes and gently spiraled them into submission...... erruuh the jar I mean (16 oz Ball). I've coiled 1/4 lb's worth of GH & SG flakes into the flat wide jars (8 oz Ball "Elite" and 8 oz Kerr). Bottom line, get good jars. Plan ahead. Jar up whatchya got. ;)

Ed
    Puff

9. Smoker99

Smoker99 Active Member

I stand them up in the jars. Don't worry about air in the jar, you need some for it to age/deteriorate properly. If you had it in a vacuum, absolutely nothing would happen. All tobacco ages, ie, deteriorates over time. It is just more noticeable in Va's because they are high sugar, and tend to be sharp when fresh.

10. Mington

Mington Well-Known Member

+1 for that technique!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.