1. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

Flake: not such a good value?

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by afiaowo, Aug 22, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. afiaowo

afiaowo Member

Greetings everyone!

I have tried some flakes and find that I go through the tin quickly. As an example, I need to use 1 ½ Peterson Irish flakes to pack my pipe.
    On the other hand, I get bowl after bowl from tobacco that is ribbon cut.

I rub my flake when I smoke it. Am I simply not rubbing it enough? Or does flake simply not go as far compared to ribbon cut?

2. user2725

user2725 Active Member

Even fully rubbed out flake is more compacted and weighs more than loose cut.

Old Codger likes this.
  3. afiaowo

afiaowo Member

Thanks, you confirmed my thoughts. Being that I'm still whet behind the ears I thought I might be doing something wrong.

Thanks, BB.

4. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

An equivalent bowl of flake usually lasts about twice as long as a loose cut mix for me. Therefore I pack less.

mtsgsd and Old Codger like this.
  5. afiaowo

afiaowo Member

Very good point. I never kept track of the time difference.

For the sake of science, I need to get another tin of flake! :ohyh:

6. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

I also find that if I pack a big bowl of flake it knocks my socks off whereas loose cut never does. It's like a super-concentrated tobacco form.

7. JescoWhite

JescoWhite Member

I hear a lot of people say that they use 1-2 flakes to fill a bowl. I have medium sized pipes and I can't even fit a full flake of anything into a single one of them. I probably smoke about 3/4 of a flake at a time typically, maybe even half a flake for something kind of large like OGS.

There are bulk flakes that you can get that are pretty inexpensive.

Monkeyshine and user2725 like this.
  8. Monkey

Monkey Active Member

Ribbon and shag cuts are quicker than flakes in the pipe for me. Sometimes I will get 2 hours out of my largest pipes with a flake. Sometimes I get 15 minutes out of a shag cut in my smallest pipe.

I like how much longer flake burns and, as a couple bowl a day pipe smoker, I prefer a longer and stronger smoke.
    YMMV

Jammer, OldSouled65 and JescoWhite like this.
  9. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

I just buy bigger and bigger pipes!

10. MacNutz

MacNutz Active Member

My largest pipe is a diplomat so I don't have that problem. Since learning to fold and stuff I no longer rub it out Perhaps it's my imagination but I find flakes taste better that way. However it seems the fold and stuff method is better for sedentary smokes rather than dog walking smokes.

11. phinz

phinz Active Member

Cut the flake into small cubes. Gravity feed, tap the side of the bowl to settle it into the bowl and light. I find that I tend to use less than one standard flake this way, and it works great once the tobacco swells up when I put fire to it.

12. Stonewall

Stonewall Active Member

I just take in my empties and buy more flake when I'm out...

SmokeyJoe, BradNTX and Monkey like this.
  13. SouthBound

SouthBound Active Member

I'd like to see the pipe that would hold 2 of Reinier's Long Golden Flakes.

I never keep track of how many flakes fill a bowl. With something like Irish Flake, Condor Long Cut, or St Bruno Flake, I just rub out 3 or 4 flakes at a time and smoke it till I need to rub some more. GH or SG flakes are big enough that I usually only rub one. Something like LGF needs to be torn in thirds before rubbing.

To answer the title, I've found flakes to be well worth the expense and added work.

Jammer and Monkey like this.
  14. BradNTX

BradNTX Well-Known Member

I've had a folded & stuffed flake last over an hour many times. Most ribbon cut, in the same sized bowl goes about 40-50 minutes for me. Plus, value is relative, and since most of my favorites are flakes, they have value. :bing:

MacNutz, SouthBound and Monkey like this.
  15. LifeOfRiley

LifeOfRiley Active Member

:cfsd: So which weighs more: an oz of flake or an oz of ribbon?

Jammer and JescoWhite like this.
  16. SouthBound

SouthBound Active Member

A flake in the hand is worth two ribbons in the bush.

jpberg, Jammer, MacNutz and 2 others like this.
  17. Morse

Morse Active Member

Grant

18. RTOdhner

RTOdhner Well-Known Member

I usually wind up using 3/4 of a flake for an average pipe. I don't know if it is a better deal or not, I just enjoy the ritual of pulling a flake out of the jar, cutting it down to size, then fully rubbing it out on my flake plate. Then I fill my pipe, light up, and enjoy the wonderful flavor and magnificent cloud of smoke that only a VA flake blend can provide. For me it's the perfect way to end the day.

Jammer, BradNTX and JescoWhite like this.
  19. SmokeyJoe

SmokeyJoe Active Member

Wait, my brain hurts...:eek:

dwaugh and Dondi like this.
  20. KMahoney

KMahoney Member

I just purchased a Hercules 111EX which is the largest bowl of the Hercules lineup I could find. When it came in I put 3 flakes of GAF in it folded and stuffed. I smoked that bowl all day and part of the next day. It must have lasted over 4 hours. I got three long smokes out of it. Didn't seem like such a bad deal to me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.