1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.
  2. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

Flake Pipe!!!!

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by Scotty Cameron, Oct 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Scotty Cameron

Scotty Cameron Member

I smoke mostly ready rubbed blends. I am looking to expand into flakes as my pipe skills grow. I would like recommendations for a good flake pipe around $100.

2. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

The flake pipe is like the drinking glass. Any glass you like will be suitable to drink from. Some hold more than others, but apart from that you can drink anything from coffee to water to rum from any glass, and the function will be the same.

Pretty much the same with pipes. Some blends seem to do best in certain pipes just like I don't generally want to drink espresso from a jar, but it will be functionally the same. With the wide diversity of types of flakes (burley, VA, VA/per, latakia, aromatic, large flakes, small flakes, square flakes, rectangular flakes, thin flakes, thick flakes, readily rubbed out flakes, leathery flakes, and so on) no one type of pipe is better for flakes than any other type of pipe.

Just bear in mind that unrubbed flakes smoke particularly slowly in most cases, so if you don't have the time to spare but you want to simply fold, stuff, and puff, you might not want to choose a particularly large pipe.

3. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

Johnny Dingo and Albert like this.
  4. Spillproof

Spillproof Mostly Harmless Moderator

As said above, any pipe can be a flake pipe. I smoke a lot of flake, and though I have always been attracted to massive pipes, I find a smallish straight "pot" to be ideal, imho.

5. Albert

Albert Active Member

I like to smoke flakes in a pipe with a conical shaped bowl like a dublin. that way I can cannon ball or fold n' stuff and have a nice little air pocket under the tobacco. This seems to give me the most control of the smoke and the best burn. YMMV :toast:

Monkey likes this.
  6. jeff394

jeff394 Member

I always rub out my flakes, so it doesn't really matter to me which pipe I use. Like tonight, I have some Dunhill Flake in my MM Country Gentleman pipe. Not many finer smokes around, in my opinion.

nesta likes this.
  7. Monkey

Monkey Active Member

My favorite flake pipe is an Oscar Dry Dublin by Savinelli. But...that is my own personal opinion. You know what opinions are like... like....

That Bulldog looks great...thanks for more PAD....

nesta likes this.
  8. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.