Flake pipes

Discussion in 'Need Pipe Smoking Advice? Ask an Old Fart!' started by lostopossum, Aug 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lostopossum

lostopossum Member

Hey guys,

Sorry if this is a repeat question but I searched the forum and didn't find anything. I keep seeing people talk about the perfect flake pipe. What I was wondering is what make the pipe more suited to a flake over a ribbon cut. Thanks in advance!

~Chris

2. Puff The Magic

Puff The Magic Active Member

I feel a perfect flake pipe is one that is like a chimney (height 2x width or taller). Peterson Tankard is a nice one. Tankard Churchwarden is even way cooler! :D

[​IMG]

T-bear "Bear's Den" made me a very nice "Dub-Bambu"
    [​IMG]

And the "partial bridge" next to Bambu. Thanks again Ted! Deep Narrow I believe is majority preference.

Ed
    Puff

TxPipesmoker likes this.
  3. Snake

Snake permanent ankle biter

I prefer a conical bowl, but that's just me. YMMV of course.
    I have a couple Castellos, and an older Nonpareil (Savinelli)
    that are perfect.

4. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

In the past I'd say a chimney type as well ... they are killer . Lately , a pot shape like this whitehall [​IMG]
    is really doing it for me with flakes ... LTF is the limit in it

5. TxPipesmoker

TxPipesmoker Active Member

Puff-- That Bambu looks nice. I really like it

6. BradNTX

BradNTX Well-Known Member

I like the smaller bore, taller height bowls with full body smokes or spicy smokes. For sweeter flakes I like the conical bowls.

Snake likes this.
  7. Jeebs

Jeebs Active Member

Where can you buy a Reamer like that ???

8. kennerth

kennerth Member

I bought a pair of them on ebay for $40 total. Most smoke shops will have one around for $30. On ebay, or online, you can beat that.

9. shadow

shadow Active Member

I tend to use small capacity bowls for Flakes, especially because I favour the fold-and-stuff method for packing rather than rubbing the Flake out.
    Surely there's nothing wrong in using larger capacity bowls... it's just my preference:)

Old Ted likes this.
  10. RTOdhner

RTOdhner Well-Known Member

I prefer pipes with relatively wide and shallow bowls, like Apples, Authors, Rhodesians, Pots, and Princes. I prefer bent over straight, amd I prefer smaller bowls for stronger toby. I prefer these types of pipes because of my habit of cupping my palm over the top of the bowl of any pipe that I am smoking flake in, and I like how these types of pipes feel in my hand when I'm smoking them.

11. Mister Moo

Mister Moo Normal Cow Moderator

Senior Reamer is sold many places including: http://www.amazon.com/Pipe-Tools-Senior-Reamer/dp/B00153SQ70 It's a nice tool but tends to fail with sharply conical bowls or particularly small bore diameters. I have one - love it.

The eye of the beholder - although many folks lean to smaller, taller bowls. Puffs reference above to a chamber height at least 2x the bowl diameter sounds like my profile.

12. Smoker99

Smoker99 Active Member

I think conventional wisdom is a small bowl, but relatively taller than wide. I think the reasoning is flakes fit better in a tall bowl, and the more narrow dia. is easier to keep them lit. I prefer a 3/4 in. ID bowl for flakes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.