1. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

Flake pipes

Discussion in 'Need Pipe Smoking Advice? Ask an Old Fart!' started by lostopossum, Aug 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lostopossum

lostopossum Member

Hey guys,

Sorry if this is a repeat question but I searched the forum and didn't find anything. I keep seeing people talk about the perfect flake pipe. What I was wondering is what make the pipe more suited to a flake over a ribbon cut. Thanks in advance!

~Chris

2. Puff The Magic

Puff The Magic Active Member

I feel a perfect flake pipe is one that is like a chimney (height 2x width or taller). Peterson Tankard is a nice one. Tankard Churchwarden is even way cooler! :D

[​IMG]

T-bear "Bear's Den" made me a very nice "Dub-Bambu"
    [​IMG]

And the "partial bridge" next to Bambu. Thanks again Ted! Deep Narrow I believe is majority preference.

Ed
    Puff

TxPipesmoker likes this.
  3. Snake

Snake permanent ankle biter

I prefer a conical bowl, but that's just me. YMMV of course.
    I have a couple Castellos, and an older Nonpareil (Savinelli)
    that are perfect.

4. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

In the past I'd say a chimney type as well ... they are killer . Lately , a pot shape like this whitehall [​IMG]
    is really doing it for me with flakes ... LTF is the limit in it

5. TxPipesmoker

TxPipesmoker Active Member

Puff-- That Bambu looks nice. I really like it

6. BradNTX

BradNTX Well-Known Member

I like the smaller bore, taller height bowls with full body smokes or spicy smokes. For sweeter flakes I like the conical bowls.

Snake likes this.
  7. Jeebs

Jeebs Active Member

Where can you buy a Reamer like that ???

8. kennerth

kennerth Member

I bought a pair of them on ebay for $40 total. Most smoke shops will have one around for $30. On ebay, or online, you can beat that.

9. shadow

shadow Active Member

I tend to use small capacity bowls for Flakes, especially because I favour the fold-and-stuff method for packing rather than rubbing the Flake out.
    Surely there's nothing wrong in using larger capacity bowls... it's just my preference:)

Old Ted likes this.
  10. RTOdhner

RTOdhner Well-Known Member

I prefer pipes with relatively wide and shallow bowls, like Apples, Authors, Rhodesians, Pots, and Princes. I prefer bent over straight, amd I prefer smaller bowls for stronger toby. I prefer these types of pipes because of my habit of cupping my palm over the top of the bowl of any pipe that I am smoking flake in, and I like how these types of pipes feel in my hand when I'm smoking them.

11. Mister Moo

Mister Moo Normal Cow Moderator Moderator

Senior Reamer is sold many places including: http://www.amazon.com/Pipe-Tools-Senior-Reamer/dp/B00153SQ70 It's a nice tool but tends to fail with sharply conical bowls or particularly small bore diameters. I have one - love it.

The eye of the beholder - although many folks lean to smaller, taller bowls. Puffs reference above to a chamber height at least 2x the bowl diameter sounds like my profile.

12. Smoker99

Smoker99 Active Member

I think conventional wisdom is a small bowl, but relatively taller than wide. I think the reasoning is flakes fit better in a tall bowl, and the more narrow dia. is easier to keep them lit. I prefer a 3/4 in. ID bowl for flakes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.