1. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

Flake Tabacoo

Discussion in 'Need Pipe Smoking Advice? Ask an Old Fart!' started by Bryan71, Jul 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bryan71

Bryan71 Member

I have always stayed away from Flake but fancy trying some just worried how to prepare it to load my pipe up.
    I know one has to rub it.But just don't know how much.

2. soundlzrd

soundlzrd Active Member

That is the great thing about flake, rub it out as far as you like. Search for a flake post by Mr. Moo. Good stuff in there. I cannot post the link easily from my phone.

3. Zfog

Zfog Member

You can either rub it till it's almost a ribbon or you can just fold it and stuff it right in, it's up to you. Different methods will yield a different smoke. The ribbon will burn easier but will smoke typically hotter and faster. If it is folded and stuffed it will smoke cooler and longer, but requires more patience to get it properly lit.

4. Snake

Snake permanent ankle biter

5. Old Ted

Old Ted Active Member

.....depends which flake - thickness, dampness etc and the pipe....experiment a little - you'll soon find the best way that suits you:)
    OT

6. RTOdhner

RTOdhner Well-Known Member

I just let a flake dry for about an hour, and then just rub and crumble the dickens out of it until its all broken up and the biggest ribbons are about a quarter inch long (or thereabout). Then pack it loose at the bottom and pack progressively tighter until I reach nearly the top of the bowl. A good charring light, tamp, and re-light. Puff/sip slowly since many flake tobies, especially those that are comprised predominantly Virginia tobies, have a delicate flavor that can be lost if you push them too hard.

It's all a matter of working out the above technique until you find a level of dryness and consistency that's right for you. I recommend going with a less expensive flake like OGS or Erinmore because it might take you a tin or so to figure it out, and it might be disheartening to watch a lot of money go up in smoke until you get your technique down pat. (Besides, Erinmore and OGS are really good baccies).

Enjoy!

7. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

I'm a rubber ... but just a little . I like to rub them apart is all . Some blends ya gotta rub some more . It depends on which one .... try em and have fun !

8. ryan65

ryan65 Member

I've been smoking flakes for well over a year now and find that each blend needs to be prepared some what differently to get the true flavors to come out. I rub most of my flakes which generally seems to work best but, you always run into certain ones that don't smoke as well until you figure out exactly how to prepare it. Peterson's flakes seem to work great with a quick rub and stuff technique, but I ran into serious problems with Erinmore flake, which I solved by drying it out a little bit and rubbing it completely. I have recently moved on to Samuel Gawith Full Virginia Flake and once again having problems with it so I went through the process of rubbing out to various levels which has thus far failed for me. The best results I got with it was by just rolling the whole flake and sticking it in the pipe. Its a huge contrast to their 1792 flake which burns perfectly when I prepare it using the same method as the Peterson flakes so I think the key is experimentation. No flake smokes the same using one method and different pipes make it even more challenging.

9. 1stGenRex

1stGenRex Member

RTO, as you seem to be really fond of MacB Navy flake, I read somewhere that fold and stuff is better for that particular flake, and owas wondering if you notice the same? Just a bit curious, as I have some on the way, and it'll likely be what I break into first.

10. Smoker99

Smoker99 Active Member

The nice thing about flakes is you can make them what you want them to be. Some just fold and stuff, or you can rub out to various degrees. My taste prefers a medium rub out, preserving some broken flake among the ribbon.

11. DLWJohn

DLWJohn Member

I was having a little bit of trouble with flakes until recently. I tried folding and stuffing that didnt work too well for me. Also tried fully rubbing them out, that didnt work much better. Then I read somewhere (I think on here, actually) about rolling the tobacco between your palms to form a ball, popping that in the pipe (or 2 or 3 depending on bowl size) then covering the top with small bits of tobacco This method works great! If you havent yet I'd definately recommend giving it a try!

12. mtsgsd

mtsgsd Active Member

I've found that MacB needs to be dried out a little. I fold and stuff, but I grab the folded flake in both hands and gently twist it along the length of the folded flake to break it a little. Then I add some rubbed-out bits and pieces from the tin on top. Works every time.

13. RTOdhner

I've never been able to make the fold and stuff method work. I just rub it out. The trick to any MacB is to sip it ever so slowly. Once I get it going, I give it a puff every 30 secomnds or so. Once you gdt the cadence down, MacB Navy Flake is just wonderful.

14. RTOdhner

So far I've tried PS LNF, PS LTF, MacB Navy Flake, MacB Roll Cake, OGS, and Erinmore, and I've found them all to be wonderful smokes with very rich and mellow flavor. They may not be strong tobies, well not strong with the exception of Peterson IF and UF, but they've all had just a wonderful hay-like quality to them. I've also tried MacB Club Blend. It's another very good smoke, but I'm still trying to get a handle on it. Flake has a depth of character that I've never found with any other type of toby. All of them have been fantastic in a brialliantly simple way - just a fruity hay-like quality, generally with some pleasant little qaulity singing in the background.

Well, not so much the IF - just too damn stout for this Navy weiner. Every now and then it has given me brief bouts of pleasure, but mostly it's made my head swim,made my gills turn green, and made me break out in a serious sweat and begin to hiccup profusely. The UF is the heaviest I can tolerate, and even that is quite nice.

15. Brian

Brian Member

Flakes are definitely worth taming, especially the fold-n-stuff method. It's just one more tool in your pipe smoking hobby arsenal. It takes patience, but worth the effort. I'm a little dense I guess. I took me a lot of work to understand the fold-n-stuff method, but once it clicked in my head, it's like riding a bike. For me, it was all about visualizing how the tobacco would end up in my pipe as I was stuffing it, and making sure the air flow would not be messed up.

I take a flake, fold it into halves or thirds depending on how deep the bowl is - trying to match it so it's just a little shorter. Then I hold that ball of tobacco and roll it between my fingers to loosen up all the strands a bit, but keeping the whole wad of tobacco intact and together. Then I slide the whole plug carefully into the bowl of my pipe, making sure most of the tobacco strands are parallel to the sides of the bowl (visualize lots of little air conduits running down between the strands to the bottom). This seems to keep the air flow perfect. I try not to jam it in hard or mash it, bending the strands. I tamp down the very top a little, and maybe at some fully rubbed out tinder to the top. Light and go. It's important to get a good, solid charring light.

It's all a lot easier once you are used to fitting a specific flake or blend into a specific pipe. You get a feel for how to fold the flakes, and how thick they can be without expanding too much and clogging the air flow (too tightly packed).

Jay likes this.
  16. Mister Moo

Mister Moo Normal Cow Moderator Moderator

I did too. Now it's almost my exclusive smoke.

Each flake has its own character and preparation can vary broadly. Until you learn your way around, rub any flake out well and never mash it into a pipe more firmly than might compromise an unrestricted draw. Tamp lightly when someking - don't overcompress. Good luck.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.