Flake tobacco keeps going out

Discussion in 'Need Pipe Smoking Advice? Ask an Old Fart!' started by barnlb, Jun 26, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. barnlb

barnlb Member

I recently accidentally bought some flake tobacco. I have followed online packing instructions closely and tried a few different methods but find it frequently goes out. I find only half a flake fits best which seems odd as I have found no mention of this, seen people mention flake and a half, but not only a half. I often require several re lights much more frequently as it burns down, is this normal?
    I have a Peterson system 31 straight pipe ( I think), smoking Peterson Irish flake tobacco.
    Best method I have found seems to be roll it out a bit then fold it in two and stuff it in.
    Could it be the way I smoke or how I pack it?

2. HCraven

HCraven Active Member

It seems like more than a half a flake should fit in that Pete, and if so, you might be packing it too loose to keep a good burn going. I don't have a lot of flakes in my cellar at the moment, and I've tried the fold-n-stuff method with reasonably good results, but most of the time I just rub them out (or break them up) so they're a little coarse. I try to get it to look about the way Rattray supplies their ready-rubbed/broken flakes, like Hal O' The Wynd, as it's pretty hard to over-pack it that way. You might also need to let it air out a bit, as many flakes are shipped in a rather moist state. If you do decide to rub out your flake, I find that doing so before you let it air reduces the time needed to get the humidity where you want it, so be aware of that.

Don't lament the fact that you bought a flake, though. Most of us have smoked and enjoyed many fine flake tobaccos, and once you get the hang of them, they're no more difficult to deal with than ribbon-cut. Happy smoking!

Herb

3. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

Ahhh... the flake battle.

Flakes tend to feel more dry than they really are, so one possibility is that you are smoking the leaf in a wetter condition than you would ordinarily. More likely though is that there is some reason that your packing method is not allowing you to enjoy the flake. Like Herb, I'm thinking maybe you need a little more in the bowl.

My generic method for difficult flakes is to roll them into a ball as much as they'll allow, just kind of roll them in my palms and then tuck the ball into the pipe in one shot. Light that up (it won't be easy) and it'll go for a long while.

WillH likes this.
  4. Smoker99

Smoker99 Active Member

Dry it out, and rub it out a bit. I too roll is up into a rubbed out ball and stuff. Sometimes two balls, sometimes three according to the size of the pipe. Sprinkle the "dust" from the rubbing out between balls, that will help. I have never had much luck with the fold and stuff method.

5. tsgourley

tsgourley Member

I had a similar problem when starting flakes. Now I prefer pipes with taller chambers which will usually accomodate an entire flake or two. Then I'll fold and stuff, then tamp the top even. The draw on a flake should be very loose; if it is packed too hard it will keep going out and it will be an unpleasant experience.

6. Snake

Snake permanent ankle biter

+1 on letting IF dry out a bit after rubbing it
    out. I usually don't fold and stuff IF, FWIW.
    If this doesn't work, :yy: will suggest you buy
    a Falcon and try it in there. Always works
    for him! ;) Good luck.

7. Mister Moo

Mister Moo Normal Cow Moderator Moderator

8. shadow

shadow Active Member

I recently bought a tin of Flake, where the actual Flakes were broken up into "sticks" if you like... So... not ready rubbed, and not a "real" Flake either!!!
    But I proceeded to fill my bowl with those sticks as if I'd put matches in the pipe (upright) and then finished the top with a few crumbs.
    The result was more than great! A nice, slow burn, lots of flavour and just two lights to get it all started! The toby went all the way down without any re-lights!:)

9. Mister Moo

Mister Moo Normal Cow Moderator Moderator

There is a pretty broad interpretation out there of what "ready rubbed" includes. There is another description called "broken flake" which is - I don't know - something else. Flake world is like the wild west of pipe tobacco.

shadow likes this.
  10. shadow

shadow Active Member

Hi Mister Moo! You're right there but the tin I bought said Flake on it, so I expected the "normal" Flake slices: It was Torben Dansk #14 from Dan Pipe in Germany. It comes in a round tin so that might explain the shape of the contents... never mind... it still is a good smoke!
    I might even order a bulk bag next time:)

11. t-bear

t-bear Well-Known Member

Shadow...that's a broken flake...and a darned good one. Glad you enjoyed your experience....moments like that make it all worth while.

shadow likes this.
  12. shadow

shadow Active Member

Hi t-bear! Broken Flake.... like Mr. Moo said! THAT's what I couldn't remember! Thanks for refreshing my memory:)! You're right, it's a really great smoking experience! And even after nearly 30 years as a pipe smoker I've always kind of neglected Flakes a bit... not anymore! This one will certainly become one of my favourites!
    All the best to you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.