Flake tobacco?

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by bubbagump, Mar 1, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bubbagump

bubbagump Well-Known Member

I got my first tin of flake tobacco today. Samuel Gawith Chocolate Flake. How should I cut it up prior to smoking? This might be a silly question...but I'm used to stuff that has already been chopped up for me.:D

2. DeusExMachina

DeusExMachina Member

First, make sure the flake is nice and dry. ( It should start to break when folded). I tend to let my SG flakes get drier than I usually let my tobacco get. Then you have a few options; You can fold and stuff the flake into the pipe, which I never really found much success in, but many have. You can rub them out, by placing the flake in between both of your palms, and moving it in a circular downward motion. You can cut it, cube it, anyway you like, as long as it fits into the pipe :P and, My local B&M owner says he uses a grinder for his flake tobacco.

muddler, dBear and bubbagump like this.
  3. fogpipe

fogpipe Member

The way i like flakes is to rub them out well, let dry well (some of them seem best when allowed to dry almost crispy). Gravity pack, tamp and light. YMMV.

muddler and bubbagump like this.
  4. Thuber88

Thuber88 Well-Known Member

Would that be drip or percolator grind?
    I saw a good explanation and pics of all of the choices the other day but cant recall where I was in the net at the time..:(

DeusExMachina likes this.
  5. bubbagump

bubbagump Well-Known Member

I'll definitely need to dry this stuff out. I'll try one of these two methods. Thank you.:toast:

DeusExMachina likes this.
  6. Johnny Dingo

Johnny Dingo Writer of wrongs

Chew on it for a few hours then leave it next to the heat vent till it dries. Pack it up and fire away.:D

7. Coda

Coda Well-Known Member

I would recommend OGS...its the PA of flakes. (disclaimer: by "PA" I mean it is an easy smoker...a no-brainer)...

8. JRobert

JRobert Hermit Forum Guide

bubbagump likes this.
  9. buistd

buistd Sales Account

SG flakes need a heck of a lot more drying time than all others. You've picked a tricky one to start with but keep seeking advice on here and you should be fine. I have seen a fair few people say that they leave SG flakes out overnight or for 24 hours, so be prepared to wait!

Coda likes this.
  10. Wideawake75

Wideawake75 Member

I have a couple of Navy Flakes that I will pinch off and rub out a pipes worth at a time and then leave on my desk a while to dry out. Pack using the "three step" method, and enjoy. I haven't tried the "fold and stuff" method yet. Good luck!

11. krusty

krusty Active Member

Tricky one indeed.
    Bubbagump, you owe it to yourself to give considerable time and effort to learning to smoke flake with out rubbing it out. You may ultimately not like it but then again I think you'll be richly rewarded in the quality of your smoking experience if you do. Rubbing out a good flake is absolutely perfectly acceptable and strictly a personal choice, I'm just saying don't limit yourself (-:

Also, let the Chocolate Flake dry overly much and the flavor will be muted.
    Moister tobacco can be smoked with out issue if it is simply packed looser.

bubbagump, dBear and buistd like this.
  12. remington

remington Member

I've been having good luck cube cutting my flakes/coins and gravity feeding it with a few gentle taps to let the cubes settle. I just finished a bowl of SG Chocolate Flake 15 min. ago with this method. I let the cut flake sit out while I had made and ate my dinner. If I didn't get a chunk lodged in the stem (easily pushed back with a pipe cleaner) it would have been a one light smoke. I've done this recently with Dunhill Flake and Stokkebye "coins" also resulting in great smokes. The fold/stuff and rubbed out methods were not as successful for me but I'm also learning when and how to tamp through the smoke.

13. Biggles

Biggles Active Member

I've never been able to understand the predilection towards smoking dry tobacco, flake or otherwise. To my mind moist = flavourful (insert base comment here, interweebly smartasses). :cfsd:

14. remington

remington Member

I agree to some extent. I found that Dunhill Flake loses flavor significantly by being overly dried due to the threads I've read about the drying out SG FVF. DH Flake is perfect IMO right out of the tin. My hypothesis is that those that swear by drying a flake to a "crisp" prior to smoking, are those who have gurgle prone pipes. Like anything else in this world, there are always exceptions. That, and I could be completely off my rocker. Regardless, like anything else with pipes, the fun lies in experimentation and comparison of those experiences.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.