1. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

Flakes, fold and stuff or rub out?

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Jussto, Jun 4, 2011.

?

Which do you do?

1. Rub out

14 vote(s)
    56.0%
  2. Fold n' stuff

2 vote(s)
    8.0%
  3. Depends on the tobacco

9 vote(s)
    36.0%
  4. What are flakes?

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jussto

Jussto Active Member

I've been smoking a pipe for while, but just recently discovered flakes. I do a little of both depending on the pipe, just wondered what was most common!

2. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

Yeah, both. All depending on the pipe, the toby, my mood, perceived preferences and my mercurial nature. I have purposely fold and stuffed when I didn't prefer to, but that was because of being in the vicinity of a lot of wind(Mother-in-law). Less chance of ash fliers thataway.

Jussto likes this.
  3. WillH

WillH Active Member

I've done the flake thing all sorts of ways. Now I just rub them all out, make a tight ball and drop it down the hole. Simple.

Will

ichabod likes this.
  4. Snake

Snake permanent ankle biter

Pretty much mimicking what YY said,
    except for the "windbag" comment. ;)
    Mostly rub them out though.

dp

5. ChrisD

ChrisD Member

I rub them out

6. Puff The Magic

Puff The Magic Active Member

I prep flakes several different ways. Mainly according to the situation/convenience.

On the go, I'll "mini-cube cut" the flakes and load into a "speedloader" so I can just pour the mini-cubes into the bowl-tap-light.

At home or NOT "on the go" I'll usually rub up a flake or two and take the larger strands that rolled up into a nice little ball (loose) and drop it into the bottom of the bowl or wherever I wish the ball to set in the bowl and then top-load with the remaining scrap. If I wanna quickie, I'll forgo the top-load.

:wiz:
    Ed
    Puff

P.S. I voted "Rub Out" but actually mine would more correctly be "Depends on the situation".

7. Beale

Beale Active Member

@ Puff what is a "speed loader"? Beale.

8. Cogitans Fumus

Cogitans Fumus Member

I have tried several ways to load flake, and have not settled on one yet. Sometimes I fold and stuff, other times I rub it a little, sometimes I rub it a lot. That doesn't sound quite right now that Ive read it.

9. beammeuptothesky

beammeuptothesky Member

I like to rub my flakes out because I think it helps them burn more evenly, etc..

I might have to change it up a little, though, now that I see the variety of ways it can be done. :puffy:

~Aaron

10. Mister Moo

Mister Moo Normal Cow Moderator Moderator

For me it varies with the tabak, pipe and moment, in that order of priority.

BradNTX likes this.
  11. RTOdhner

RTOdhner Well-Known Member

I've never been able to make the fold and stuff method work.

12. MarkC

MarkC Member

I'm still experimenting with flakes but have had better luck with rubbing out to some extent.

13. soundlzrd

soundlzrd Active Member

I agree it all depends. I find that mcbarren Toby likes the fold in stuff, where SG and Petersons must be rubbed out.

14. BradNTX

BradNTX Well-Known Member

I think Burley flake just tastes better folded & stuffed. I've tried Solani ABF, Wessex BF, and now C&D BF #2 rubbed out, partially rubbed out and folded and stuffed. To me, Burley smokes a little harsher, with less flavor when rubbed out fine. Folded & stuffed into a Country Gent and topped with some scraps provides me with a fuller, but softer flavor with less bite.

My exception is with Carter Hall as a topping. I also love to fold & stuff a Burley flake and top the last 1/4 of a bowl with Carter Hall. It lights a little easier and adds a soft bread/nutty flavor to the stronger tasting flakes.

I've always rubbed out Hamborger Veermaster, but plan on doing the F&S when I open the next tin.

15. Zfog

Zfog Member

I seem to get a better smoke from rubbing it out. Although sometimes I am just in the mood to fold and stuff, the bowl seems to smoke a bit cooler and longer when stuffed.

16. Jay

Jay Active Member

I voted F&S But it does depend on the bowl and the flake. Right now, and recently, I have been smoking PS LNF. My pipe is just the size for a F&S, seems more satisfying to do so. My 100G tins of OGS require a little rubbing, but I am not too particular. Coins Like Escudo or Club Blend get a slight rub or roll and then lit. So I guess it all depends. But I can tell you I like the flake toby's immensely.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.