Flakes

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by guitarist7242, Feb 24, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. guitarist7242

guitarist7242 Member

I have not smoked a flake tobacco since a few years ago, mainly because I have not had a chance.

Well I am now in the market for some because I hear they hold quite a bit of flavor, but I know very little about flakes.

I am trying to get away from aromatics and light tobaccos and into more mature toby to expand my palette a bit. I am looking for a very full flavor to start using only for my Peterson.

Any ideas? It doesn't have to be flake, I am just looking for fuller tobacco.

2. phinz

phinz Active Member

One of my favorites is Beck's Old Limey Bastard.

For a flake, I love 1792.

3. jhe888

jhe888 Member

Try Escudo. A classic flake - well coins actually, but close enough. It is a Virginia and perique blend.

4. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

The heaviest flake I smoke is Gawith & Hoggarth's Dark Flake Unscented. But if you're not used to heavy tobaccos, I can't really recommend it.

Staying within the G&H realm but toning down the heaviness considerably (while retaining some heft), you might try Glengarry Flake or Perique Flake (Brown Flake unscented or Best Brown #2 are a step up in weightiness but still down from DF u/s).

5. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

Orlik Golden Sliced...maybe not super full, but a excellent stepping up to flake...flake. Not expensive either. You could substitute MacBaren's Navy Flake above if you want.

For a full bore tobacco flake..Irish Flake.

6. BradNTX

BradNTX Well-Known Member

These three are my favorites and have a nice full, but smooth flavor:

Dan Tobacco- Hamborger Veermaster
    Solani- Aged Burley Flake
    Peter Stokkebye- Luxury Twist Flake

I haven't tried Escudo, but so many people talk about how good it is, I'd like to give it a shot sometime.

7. Mike Pomery

Mike Pomery Active Member

Robert McConnell's Scottish Flake.

8. Burner

Burner Member

Peterson's University flake is nice too.

9. Cobra

Cobra Member

Erinmore Flake. :puffy:

10. GlassSculptor

GlassSculptor Active Member

Solani Silver Flake!

Sweet but not too sweet, moderate strength, burns very well and it's in stock. The tin is not vacuum sealed so it needs to be transferred to a airtight container asap. I like this flake as it comes ready to smoke and is not dripping wet which means you pay for tobacco, not moisture.

11. jeffbee

jeffbee Member

A second vote for Peterson University Flake, especially in a Peterson pipe.
    St. Bruno Flake is one of my favorites, but that American flag under your name says you won't be able to find any.

12. Falconeer

Falconeer Active Member

Hi All,

I'd say if you are new to flakes, then an easy one to satrt with is Mc Barren's Navy Flake - to me it's just light of medium strength, has a pleasant flavour and room note but doesn't cloy. Erinmore is another good one, but again if you are new to flakes you might need to dry it out as it's presented in the Old Brit moist style.

If you find stronger tobaccos to your taste then in time and if the supply position improves on your side of the pond then Sam Gawith's are good - Best Brown could be a good starter,

Best as ever

Gerry

13. Snake

Snake permanent ankle biter

I'll second OGS as a great friendly
    flake. Not to strong or weak. :thumb:

dp

14. Major

Major Member

15. Kyle Black

Kyle Black Member

Smoking St. Bruno flake for the first time right now. Good smoke just cant take to liking it too much because its not stateside. But theres plenty others.

16. Mister Moo

Mister Moo Normal Cow Moderator

Too many choices? Try them all!

17. Jay

Jay Active Member

that advice will keep anyone busy for a while. I KNOW!!!

18. Kyle Black

Kyle Black Member

Little off topic, not much though. As I look around my cellar, I really only se flakes and plugs and 1 or 2 ropes. No cuts of any kind. Kind of odd.

I think the fact that I thoroughly enjoy working with my tobacco before smoking it is the reason. I find myself looking over ribbons and shag cuts when ordering or buying. That, and I for some reason asssociate flakes and the such with stronger more flavorful tobaccos. I know thats not the case everytime but in the majority it is.

19. Legend

Legend Member

I enjoy flakes because most have more flavor, and Nicotine, than other cuts (barring ropes). After dinner when I need a strong, long lasting smoke, flakes are always up to the task. They tend to burn cooler as well.
    That being said, try Mac Baren Navy Flake like Gerry said. It is the best beginner flake, totally fool-proof. Lights easy and stays lit with no trouble.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.