1. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by ArtisanArcher, Mar 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ArtisanArcher

ArtisanArcher Member

Jan 22, 2011
    My Fellow Pipe Smokers

Whenever you order a flake toby, do you leave it in flake form until you smoke it? Or do you tear the flakes apart place it back in the container and then treat it like a normal cut toby? Does it make a difference?

Happy Smoking
  2. Kyle Black

Kyle Black Member

Jan 4, 2011
    I personally leave it. There's a lot to be said about flakes. Pretty much all I smoke.

Generally its left as is but there are no rule for how you keep or smoke your tobacco. Do as you please. But I recommend.leaving a flake a flake.
  3. Jay

Jay Active Member

Apr 29, 2010
    Same as above
  4. Bahnzo

Bahnzo Member

Jan 5, 2011
    I use a compromise, mostly because I've never had much success in the "fold and stuff" method. I take a knife and cut the flake into roughly 1/4" pieces. And then just put them in the pipe, leaving a couple to rub out and place on top as "tinder".

I think this is the best of both worlds. Leaves the flakes mostly intact, and yet easy to load...for me at least.
  5. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

Feb 11, 2010
    I would suggest leaving a flake 'unrubbed', at least until you decide to smoke it. Besides this giving you options on preparation later, it may help to keep the moisture level of the toby up longer. Rubbing it out 'en masse' is fine, though, particularly if it's a blend you know you prefer this way. If it's a wet, horrid burning swampfest, the extra air may improve its qualities too.

It does really boil down to preference.
  6. Mike Pomery

Mike Pomery Active Member

Nov 22, 2009
    But if you go out to sea on a long voyage... take a plug and cut it when you need to. :idiot:
  7. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

Feb 7, 2011
    +1 on this. I've found some flakes work better for me loaded in flake form and some work better rubbed out. But it stays a flake in the tin and I work with a new tobacco both ways until I decide which way it prefers to be loaded.
  8. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Vaperburlataro ! Mayor

Sep 25, 2009
    + 2 ... In the tin it stays a flake . When time to smoke it depends . I find most flake smokes better for me when rubbed at least a little . SG Fire dance for example .. I rub it pretty good and let dry a couple/three hours [ I hate to wait ] then smoke . PS Twist Flake is the opposite ... a quick rub to break it a little then in she goes . A new blend requires some experimentation . I get comfortable after I've played w/ it and figured which is best .
  9. Mister Moo

Mister Moo Scary Cow Moderator Moderator

Jun 10, 2009
    +16 I leave mine like Samuel Gawith meant for them to be - divine little slabs of artistic perfection until the moment of truth.

I remember back when I was a small child up that Great-grandma Mooses, a very opened minded woman for her time, always said,

"Slice them veggies when it's time for salad.
    Grind java beans right when you brew.
    Dummy! Eat that cannoli the second it's stuffed
    But do unto to your flakes what YOU want to."
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.