1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

Flaw in bowl

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by Tsurugi, Sep 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tsurugi

Tsurugi Member

I just got a new pipe that I ordered over the internet, and it has a very small depression inside the bowl of about one millimeter, do i need to worry about this?

2. telltime

telltime Active Member

If you ordered a new pipe, then I would contact the Vendor. If it's an estate pipe off eBay, then I would contact the seller if it wasn't disclosed.

As far as "worried," doubt it will effect the smokability. Briar pipes get dropped or mashed in a pocket all the time... it shouldn't cause anything further to happen. But it is kind of like a dent in a car. You can still drive it, but it ain't supposed to be there.

3. Tsurugi

Tsurugi Member

I'm new to pipe smoking and I hear about burning holes in your pipe, and that was what I was thinking about, but I don't smoke fast or hot.

4. telltime

telltime Active Member

Well, you might also be dealing with a pit from the briar that the carver left unfilled (sometimes pipe makers - esp. the big name ones - fill flaws with a dark putty... it's specifically to fill in flaws and make them less noticible.). A flaw in the briar is not necessarily a bad thing and won't mean you'll burn through or crack the bowl. I've got several "second" pipes - so called because the maker found flaws in the briar and can't mark them as "firsts" - that smoke great. Chacom comes immediately to mind...

No matter how pretty the briar, you've stated an important principle to follow: Smoke them slow and don't let them get too hot (you should be able to comfortably hold the bowl in your hand). Also remember to take your time and build up a little cake. Not too much, but a thin layer will also help insulate the sides of the bowls. Enjoy.

5. WillH

WillH Active Member

Kinda need to see it! And it sorta depends on how much you paid and if you really like the pipe!

Personally, I won't accept any pipe with flaws or repairs inside the bowl. Nadda - nutten. That's why I avoid eBay, because I've gotten a few pipes with repair jobs done to the pipe bowls interior. Heck, I even gotten new pipes with bowl repairs - I send them back!

I won't accept any pipe with interior flaws.....the tobacco chamber should be 100% sound!

Will

6. Tsurugi

Tsurugi Member

It was a new lower price Stanwell from smokingpipes.com, this one specifically: http://secure.smokingpipes.com/moreinfo.cfm?Product_ID=68212

To me it looks like a very small pit that wasn't filled.

I wasn't expecting a perfect pipe at that price, I just wanted to see if it was a really bad thing.

7. dubhdarra

dubhdarra Active Member

sand pit on the inside of the bowl? unless it goes all the way through to the outside, i'd just smoke it til the cake covers it up. if its a through-and-through, return it.

8. telltime

telltime Active Member

Doh... just caught the "inside the bowl" part of the statement. Revise what I said to the above...

9. SSGpiper

SSGpiper Member

I was about to post how I thought you were not following what he said, but you took away all my fun :cigar:

10. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

I'd be surprised if there was a Stanwell made in the last 10 years that didn't have something like that in the bowl. That's one reason manufacturers coat the inside of the bowl.

It's probably just a little sand pit and won't affect the pipe.

11. Tsurugi

Tsurugi Member

Thanks for the help everybody.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.