1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

Flea Market Find

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by jmiket91, Sep 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jmiket91

jmiket91 Member

I was browsing around some of the flea markets just to kill some time today, and I stumbled upon this pipe:

[​IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The pictures don't really do it justice, but the only camera I have at the moment is the one on my laptop.

It's a Willard, which I don't know anything about, and I don't really know what it is that caught my eye, but I like it, and it smokes well. It's nice and open. I've already cleaned up the stem, but I don't know if I want to refinish this one - I kind of like the way it looks now.

2. Falconeer

Falconeer Active Member

Hi,

I know I have seen that type of pipe in the U.K. circa 1971 and might even have had one - it wasn't sold under that name here, but I'll think of something else and the other side of my brain may bring out the full memory.

When you take it apart - please send a photo of the two halves to see if that triggers the memory,

Best meantime

Gerry

3. Joew

Joew Member

Looks like its in great shape I say leave it. all that matters is youliek it anyway :) Nice find.

4. jmiket91

jmiket91 Member

Gerry,

I'll take a picture soon, but the stem connection looks like those old Kaywoodies - the ones where the stem screws into the bowl.

5. chambers11283

chambers11283 Member

Very nice find, she is a pretty one!!!!!!!!!!! :thumbsu:

6. t-bear

t-bear Well-Known Member

My son has two Willards...seem like a nice mid-range pipe. I agree, leave it as-is. There's plenty of character to that pipe, and nothing that I see that would warrant tearing her down. Smoke her in good health!

7. Snake

Snake permanent ankle biter

Almost looks like a dublin.
    Nice find, Mike.

dp

8. woodbutcher

woodbutcher Member

The first pipe I ever had was (and still is) a Willard. You wouldn't believe how much I cursed that pipe (until I learned that it was my own tobacco choices and lack of technique that caused the problems I was having fits about). I still smoke it at least once a week, just to let it know that it's part of the family.
    It doesn't have the metal band like yours, but I'm sure it's from the same source. They were "coupon" pipes, made through the Dr. Grabow system and, to many, were considered to be the bottom of the barrel.
    I won't mention how many times the GBD, Stanwell, even KW smokers (not to even mention the ones with white dots on the stem) used to snicker when I showed the same enjoyment puffing on my Willard as they were expressing. Today, it's rare to find that kind of foolishness.
    Treat it right. Keep it "stock". I'll bet you will love it.
    Dan

9. Smokingmiami

Smokingmiami Member

Pipe looks great!!! Great pick up. :thumb:

10. jmiket91

jmiket91 Member

Thanks guys! I've been enjoying it today. I hope to enjoy it for a long time.

11. Dondi

Dondi Active Member

Congrats on a great find! I bet you can't wait to get to the next flea market :bing:

12. Strongirish

Strongirish Member

I just love felamarket and antique store finds! Enjoy it in good health.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.