1. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

Flying Dutchman

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by OicnaiC, Feb 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OicnaiC

OicnaiC Member

This was my wife's papa's go to blend when she was young. She says that she can still remember the smell, so I would love to give it a try. Is this stuff available anywhere? Or maybe a good copy? I thought I read that it was re-released but I can't seem to find anything on it.

2. Deckard

Deckard Active Member

Just from a quick google search it looks like the original blender, Niemeyer, stopped producing it and sold the blend and name to Orlik though they don't export it to the states, but Altadis makes a copy. Be warned though, just about every review of the original I saw on TR had one thing in common: serious bite.

3. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

The cigarette store I infrequent has a tub of it on their shelf. I guess it can be found here and there.

4. Falconeer

Falconeer Active Member

Hi all,

Haven't tried this particular one myself; but I second the opinion that Neimeyer tobaccos used to be big on aroma, but tended to smoke thin and were real tongue biters!

Even when I'd got my tecnique sorted and had some decent pipes by the mid 70s I well remember my trials of Holland House - ouch!

As I say though their aromas were good!

Best to all

Gerry

5. Mister Moo

Mister Moo Normal Cow Moderator Moderator

I smoked one tin in the mid-70's. I saved the tin for old times sake and still recall the tongue-on-fire. It was worse than the Middletons Cherry Blend. I coulda been me - it coulda been the tabak - dunno. I see some for sale once in a rare while.

6. freestoke

freestoke Member

Yep, tough stuff!! I used to smoke it when I took the pipe out in public, just to be a nice guy. Man, I dumped a lot of half-smoked bowls of FD! Eventually, I learned how to control it some; seems like the trick was to just let it go out a lot before it got hot enough to burn through the side of the bowl or the instant I felt pain on the horizon. Possibly the best room note of all time. Beautiful stuff, too! I'll bet it would have been great 50/50 with PA, but I didn't know such things back then.

7. Puff The Magic

Puff The Magic Active Member

Yes, I do remember smoking a tin of this back in the mid-70's. What an aroma! Another piper was smoking a bowl of FD and we all were outside and the next thing I knew, I was asking him what he was smoking! Went to the store that night and got a tin. Just having that aroma made me ignore my tongues desperate cries of pain and torture.........just kept right on smoking. Anyone try the new version? Is the newer one "tongue-cruel" also?

:velho:
    Ed Puff!
    cogito ergo puff

8. atwageman

atwageman Member

I just aquired yesterday 2 unopened tins from the 70's. I opened one and the tobacco still has some moisture left in it.......this surprises me, because flying dutchman tins back then were not sealed with the intent of long term storage. I smoked a bowl last night, and no tongue bite......this is most likely because the tobacco has had over 30+ years to mellow. The tins by the way are of the 7oz variety.

9. freestoke

freestoke Member

Wow!! What a find! :thumb: So how was it?

10. Mington

Mington Well-Known Member

It doesn't get rave reviews on TR:
    FD review

11. OicnaiC

OicnaiC Member

You lucky dog. If you decide that you need to get rid of any of it, let me know.

12. atwageman

atwageman Member

In the big picture it wasn't something that tells me I now need to go out and find all I can. I've had it before, just not this old. It was still potent in terms of taste and room note. Its a little too floral for me. I will go back to it in a few days and try it in different pipes.

13. RTOdhner

RTOdhner Well-Known Member

I smoked a tin of it many years ago. Great aroma, but I had to go looking for the part of my tongue that it bit off. I found some a few years ago in a pouch, and bought it 'cuz I had forgotten about the bite - I was quickly reminded, and I resumed my search for the missing part of my tongue it had bit off years before. That bite is why I haven't tried any in years, but I still keep on the look-out for an old tin to add to my collection.

14. ZuluSafari

ZuluSafari Member

I found an old opened pouch of this in my cellar cabinet last night. It seems pretty dried out, but I will try some later today.

My experience years ago was very much like those before me - tongue bite. I remember the room note was nice, but there wasn't much flavor. I put it somewhere around Sail Green, but don't officially recall much about the experiment. I found this pouch years ago in a tobacco discount store in Muscatine, Iowa. I didn't realize it is another vanishing tobacco here...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.