1. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

Fold and Stuff upside down.

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by ArtisanArcher, Feb 17, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ArtisanArcher

ArtisanArcher Member

My fellow pipe smokers!

So I came across a little discovery back around Christmas, and wanted to try it for a while before I blabbed about something that didn't work.

I ran into a problem when smoking flakes in my 304 Pete using the normal fold and stuff method. 1, the uneven edges proved difficult to light. 2, frequently, after half a pipe, the airway would restrict almost completely and I would have to completely dishevel my pack to unclog it. Pipe cleaners didn't work.

So I says to myself, I says, "WHY?!" And in thinking about it, it clicked. When folding the second time, I've always understood and seen people put the bottom of the U shape, or the second fold, down. As the toby burns down, it naturally wants to expand, not because of the grain, but because the FOLD is trying to unfold!

To solve this problem I started putting the second fold up. More like this Ω. This provides a flatter surface for lighting, and, shorty after it's lit, the FOLD is burned away and will no longer exert pressure on the toby to unfold, leaving long straight strands of toby to burn straight down! I've done this several times and found out it works really really well. It's now my go-to packing method for flakes.

Anybody else ever do this? Or am I the first? :D We'll call it the Artisan method if it's original! :ngty:

Happy Smoking
    Arty

SouthBound and zirrow like this.
  2. Puff The Magic

Puff The Magic Active Member

MacB's directions say to put the flat edges downward towards the bowl bottom.....exactly as you are describing. Glad it's workin' & burnin'!

Ed
    Puff

ArtisanArcher likes this.
  3. Lestrade

Lestrade Active Member

Been doing that for a long time. Works great!

Mark w4mms and ArtisanArcher like this.
  4. ArtisanArcher

ArtisanArcher Member

Well then. lol.

5. zirrow

zirrow Member

I figured that out a few weeks ago, but then thought that instead of me liking it better upside-down (insert joke here), I figured maybe I had just been doing it wrong in the beginning. :oops: I'm glad I'm not alone and thanks for bringing this to the forum :th1:

Mark w4mms and ArtisanArcher like this.
  6. Steve Dennis

Steve Dennis Member

I hadn't heard of this before, but it sounds interesting. I think the next time I smoke a flake I will have to try it.

ArtisanArcher likes this.
  7. cobbsmoker

cobbsmoker Active Member

Thanks! :th1:

8. ArtisanArcher

ArtisanArcher Member

Well good, at least I don't feel like I just announced to the world that the sky is blue.

zirrow and SouthBound like this.
  9. ArtisanArcher

ArtisanArcher Member

Let us know how it works for ya.

The first video that comes up on Youtube for Fold and Stuff method shows the fold going in first. That's where my friend learned it, and he's the one that showed me, both the video and the method.

10. SouthBound

SouthBound Active Member

Next you'll be saying the Earth is round. I just don't know about you, AA.

Sent using Forum Runner

zirrow, Mark w4mms and ArtisanArcher like this.
  11. RobRiguez

RobRiguez Member

Nonsense I tell you!!!! There is no WAY the earth is round. Otherwise where would all our dragons come from?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.