1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

Follow up on restored Custombilt Stubby Bent Pot

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by sorringowl, Nov 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sorringowl

sorringowl Purveyor of PAAD

A couple weeks ago I posted my latest resto: a Custombilt Stubby Bent Pot (here's the link):

Custombilt Resto

and I just wanted to do a follow up as this has become my new favorite smoker! I have dedicated it to straight Virginias for now, so that I can really explore its smoking properties, and man, I have experienced flavors in this pipe that I haven't before in my "mixed" pipes. The walls on this are almost 1/2" thick and I have yet to feel the bowl anything hotter than slightly warm. And for a pot shaped pipe, the tobacco chamber is still deep enough that I get a nice, long, smoke that really brings out the flavor of the tobacco.

I have never really like the look of most Custombilts but I might have to get another to restore.

2. Legend

Legend Member

I have a few Custombilts myself, and one Custom-Bilt (there is a difference). They are superior smokers and one of the sleepers I feel in the estate pipe market. I'm sure you will enjoy yours as much as I do mine. Good find and nice restore.

3. sorringowl

sorringowl Purveyor of PAAD

Just looked at mine to see which one I have (it's a Custombilt). I'm curious, what's the difference between the two?

4. Legend

Legend Member

The Custom-Bilts, are the original Tracy Mincer pipes from the early days, 1940's or so. The name changed to "Custombilt" after he sold the brand.

5. AndyLowry

AndyLowry Member

The name changed from Custom-bilt to Custombilt in 1946, so a hyphenated one can be dated anywhere from 1934 to 1946. (Mincer didn't actually sell the company 'til 1953). Bill Unger has written a good history of the pipe, which is available right here.

Keep an eye out on Ebay for Custom-bilts and you may be rewarded with an inexpensive lightweight piece of prewar briar. They float through pretty regularly, and my last one cost me $22. :groucho:

6. Legend

Legend Member

I can't say anything bad about Custom-Bilts or Custombilts. Best bang per buck in my case. And the briar is awesome, so light for such meaty pipes, probably due to age.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.