1. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

Fond flake memories?

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Old Ted, Jun 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Old Ted

Old Ted Active Member

I have not tried too many tobaccos from across the pond, but in the last few months have been doing some sampling, on the whole - the results are good, with just a few real disappointments.
    I have this abiding memory (perhaps enhanced by twenty five or more years?) of smoking and enjoying a small amount of Edgeworth Flake that someone passed to me. Just out of curiousity - when did this stuff disappear, and is it's absence mourned by many? ......and is there a very close alternative available today?
    Cheers OT

2. Old Ted

Old Ted Active Member

mmmm.....looks like the youngsters around here don't remember this one!:(

3. skippymchaggis

skippymchaggis Member

I remember Edgeworth Sliced. I also remember it being mourned quite a bit when it was just going off the shelves, which was sometime in 2005/2006. Not being a huge Burley smoker, I never tried it, but there were quite a few guys on alt.smokers.pipes that lamented it's passing.

4. Old Ted

Old Ted Active Member

Thanks!....I wonder what the nearest equivalent - available today is?
    OT

5. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

Ya know I cant think of an equivalent or match ... jeez .. youd think someone would get around to it . I recently tried Wessex Burley Broad Cut and it reminds me of Edgeworth RR a bit . It's good stuff ! So I've been looking for it online and havent found it yet . It's Kyles fault ... he turned me on to it probably knowing it's not being made or something ... bass turd :)

6. Zfog

Zfog Member

I'm still nursing what I have left of Edgeworth Sliced, the closest to Edgeworth in my opinion is Solani ABF.

7. Mister Moo

Mister Moo Normal Cow Moderator Moderator

I still have a slug or two of Edgeworth Ready Rubbed, Ted; can't think of anything else quite like it.

8. jack

jack New Member

Jack, here.

I'm an off and on pipe smoker.

I have a serviceable Savinelli, that is a Bionda 209ks as well as several knock abouts, including a Savinelli "hobby" with an extremely deep bowl and lots of surface area thanks to a drill press and some creativity.

As far as for flavored, some few cavendish, latakia, and Perique are about as far as I have wandered except for a few very early OTC experiments that are rather fondly forgotten.

I have enjoyed mostly flake, notably:

Mac Baron Navy Flake
    Saint Bruno
    Erinmore Navy Flake and Mixture
    Capstan flake and there was one Capstan in a very strange colored (a sort of purplish-pink) tin that I liked maybe just because I had a few tins of it, it's been a while...
    Edgeworth sliced and ready rubbed

I hear that the Edgeworth can't be found anymore. That led me here.

I know this is an older thread, but it seemed proper to post here.

Have any here found replacement candidates since the last post?

Just curious.

9. Capt

Capt Active Member

Ted, a fellow bird hunter i know used to smoke Edgeworth ready rubbed. Why? Mostly cause Gene Hill did. When Edgeworth disappeared, that friend had a tobacco store in Michigan try to copy the blend. It's called Closed Breach. As soon as I order some, I would be happy to send you a sampling.

Wicklow likes this.
  10. TxPipesmoker

TxPipesmoker Active Member

Wow Gene Hill what a treasure.. That man had class.

Capt likes this.
  11. Mister Moo

Mister Moo Normal Cow Moderator Moderator

Ted, I think Edgeworth quit selling the flakes in 2004 or 2005 after about a 100 year run with the mixed offerings of the brand. I am down to my last two sealed tins of Sliced (from a pipe show) dated 1999 and one 14-oz can of Ready Rubbed. Pungent, flavorful and smooth with just enough punch to keep it interesting - nothing else quite like it sez I, not a big burley fan.

ES in an Orlik Prince.

12. jack

jack New Member

I was interested in the Edgeworth Sliced.

I recall that it came in large blue tins in the 1960's, with multiple rows and layers of slices, and with a wonderful smell. I'd steal some from my father's stash.

It's a shame that many of the most wonderful varieties have apparently become extinct. I found this out rather abruptly just a couple years ago when I attempted to locate and visit a tobacconist (at least it was called that!) and they had no clue what I was talking about.

I heard that "wessex burley sliced" was kinda like it; heard this over at tobacco reviews. Is "Closed Breech" from Michigan available yet?

13. Capt

Capt Active Member

Yes, it is available. It is produced by Don's Smoke Shop in Holland, Michigan. I am not sure of the address, or e-tail site, but I do know if you phone them, they will ship it to you. Like I said, I have never had Edgeworth, but I thoroughly enjoy Closed Breach. It is on Tobacco Reviews, and you can read my review right at the top.........

14. jack

jack New Member

Just read your review. Thanks. I am not a fowler, but I certainly know what a 'closed breech' is!

I saw a "George's" rather than a "Don's" that offers it...

That Capstan tin in the strange purplish-pink color I mentioned above--I just found out it was "Capstan Navy Cut Full" The tins were 50g and the lid was "painted a Salmon pink color." Very highly esteemed. Maybe that's why I liked it, rather than simply having some around.

15. Capt

Capt Active Member

You are right, it is George's. He has a blend there called Don's blend, I think that's why I cited the wrong name.

16. Old Ted

Old Ted Active Member

very kind offer - thanks!
    OT

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.