Food, drink, and clearing one's palate

Discussion in 'Need Pipe Smoking Advice? Ask an Old Fart!' started by Ted Carlen, Nov 5, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ted Carlen

Ted Carlen Member

Hello. Interested in how I clear my palate between smoking, say, a latakia and a straight virginia. Also interested in what alcoholic beverage goes best with pipe smoking. Beer leaves my tongue feeling like a truck's run over it. Port (good with cigars) is too syrupy. Anyone have experience with sherry or whisky and pipe smoking? Or maybe some bourbon in strong coffee? Thanks ahead of time for replies.

2. Alan Dye

Alan Dye Member

Lemonaid tends to wipe away most things tobacco for me, something in the acidic nature of it.

umfunix likes this.
  3. Miller319

Miller319 Active Member

4. rondel65

rondel65 Misplaces Lighters

I like to sip on bourbon while I enjoy a bowl on the weekends. Sometimes I'll mix it with coke. Most of the time on the weekdays it's sweet iced tea. Blonde and sweet coffee in the mornings with a nice English like Squadron Leader.

sillyoldbear and Tsalagi44 like this.
  5. ChristTiger

ChristTiger Active Member

Bourbon, Scotch, and Coffee. I'm careful what blend I have with say, and Arnold Palmer, or anything tangy.

6. Rockbass

Rockbass Active Member

Coffee with morning burleys.
    Tea with afternoon Va, Va/pers.
    Bourbon/whiskey with anything that crosses my desk in the evening.

umfunix and Hofnar like this.
  7. gunsmoke

gunsmoke Member

For me the booz & pipe combination doesn't work well. I think the flavors of each suffer. Except for red wine. Red seems to cool my palate while smoking. Probably something to do with tannic acid. Idonknow:cfsd:

8. Old Ted

Old Ted Active Member

In over fifty years with the pipe, I find that a full belly - beforehand, and strong tea, a good beer or two during a bowl ( or just water ) is quite sufficint to compliment any blend that I smoke.
    OT

9. hoss

hoss Member

Great combos for me are coffee (am only for me), unsweetened ice tea (or hot tea w/ a dash o sucrose), red wine (table or port), sherry, rye whiskey, scotch, orange or pineapple juice (something about acidic fruits as before mentioned). But i would imagine that if you like whiskey/coffee that would be a great combo. Personally, i love the two in their own rites and not much when combined.

When it comes to whiskey, i find rye especially refreshing (after many years of drinking bourbon). Drier and less heavy on the tongue. If you haven't tried this - and like whiskey, especially neat or on the rocks - give Bulleit a shot. :cool:

Good question as far as clearing the palate is concerned. I know sniffing coffee beans clears the nasal passage when testing between scents, likewise, cheese is used to clear the taste buds between wine samples, but for tobacco smoke...hmmmm...maybe just a glass of your favorite beverage, a snack and/or some time.

browny and ChristTiger like this.
  10. Hofnar

Hofnar Active Member

As fond that I am of whisky and wine I prefer beer or non alcoholic beverages - tea, coffe or water - while smoking. I donĀ“t like sweetened drinks.

MacNutz and ChristTiger like this.
  11. User4408

User4408 Active Member

Green tea works well. It clears the palate and tongue by binding the salivary proteins, causing a clean feeling in the mouth without masking any of the tobacco flavors or stinging the tongue like acidic drinks. Ice water has a similar clearing effect, so that's also a favorite here in Tucson when it's hot ... which is most of the time.

A nice strong coffee is an excellent companion, but partly masks the flavor of tobacco. I use a tongue scraper, and it's amazing how much crud scrapes off after a coffee.

umfunix, SteveC and ChristTiger like this.
  12. hoss

hoss Member

I've drank a lot of coffee in my time and have never "scraped" my tongue (on purpose, w/ a man-made device). Perhaps i should start w/ a potato peeler until i get down to the layer where my taste buds are hiding? :byg:

E Wells, critter, Steppenwolf and 3 others like this.
  13. Ted Carlen

Ted Carlen Member

Heavens no! You'll put your eye out!

Seriously though, so far trying the suggestions here I find tea the best palate-freshener. Cool water is a close second. Buttered popcorn also worked, probably tobacco residue is fat-soluble. I haven't got out the Johnny Walker or Michter's yet. I'll try them, and also had the idea of Carr's water biscuits and high-cocoa chocolate (85% cacao), I've used it at wine tastings and it's not too bad.

umfunix likes this.
  14. jediknight129

jediknight129 Member

Campari and soda I like to clear between bowls with sunset breeze I enjoy amaretto and as ted said a good stout al works wonders.

umfunix likes this.
  15. dying breed

dying breed Member

+1 one the lemon juice. I have read that it helps to rid ones breath of smoke odor, and I think it works in that regard. I know it helps with any aftertaste. Also, singers will often use lemon juice prior to performing as it will clear all that "crud" out of ones mouth and throat.

Alan Dye and hoss like this.
  16. User4408

User4408 Active Member

Campari will get you chicks too. Even if you're as wrong-looking as this guy ...

17. ukpipesmoker

ukpipesmoker Member

Habana Club 7 rum with Canada Dry Ginger Ale, ice and lemon. Fabulous.

umfunix likes this.
  18. esteban

esteban Active Member

19. briarbob

briarbob Member

20. umfunix

umfunix Active Member

Whisky !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.