1. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

For a first English blend, what would you suggest?

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by BigB, Sep 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BigB

BigB Member

Once I add another pipe or two to my collection, I would like to try an English blend or two.

I have no idea if I will like them of not, but I want to see what this mysterious Latakia is all about.

I've been keeping a list of tobaccos that sounded good in forum reviews and YouTube videos. I have 3 English style blends on that list, but I don't know if they are the best place to start or not.

They are:
    Frog Morton
    Frog Morton on the bayou
    Boswells Northwoods

I probably don't want something too mild where the Latakia is lost in the mix, but a one dimensional lat-bomb doesn't sound like a good place to start either.

I have no problem with strong flavors or a high nic content.

Thanks!

2. TxPipesmoker

TxPipesmoker Active Member

I would try Estoerica Margate. It's a mix of what your looking for.

3. shadow

shadow Active Member

Latakia does have an acquired taste, and not everyone takes to it straight away.
    So even if you don't like it at first give yourself time to "adapt". I remember my first Lat Mixture: A James Upshall tobacco, no longer available... I really didn't like it at first but now... I couldn't live without Latakia Blends!
    I'm not familiar with the baccies on your list but can recommend: Dunhill My Mixture965 or Dunhill Early Morning Pipe.
    Have fun exploring!:)

4. RTOdhner

RTOdhner Well-Known Member

Stokkebye English Oriental Supreme, Stokkebye Balkan Supreme, Middleton Walnut, Peterson Old Dublin, Dunhill 965, Dunhill Early Morning Blend, Dunhill Standard Mixture, MacB Vintage Syrian (heavy Latakia content, but oh so wonderful), MacB Solent Mixture (more of a Scottish blend, but very good), MacB Plum Cake (like Solent Mixture but with a goodly dose of rum in it), Samuel Gawith Squadron Leader (if you can find it), G. L. Pease Chelsea Morning, and Cornell and Deihl Epiphany.

5. Mington

Mington Well-Known Member

I vote Frog Morton.

6. Smoker99

Smoker99 Active Member

For a true English blend, I would try Dunhill London Mixture, for something a bit lighter, SG Squadron Leader. The Frogs are not true English to me, they were blended to be "crossover" blends for someone going from aros to English, and contain sweeteners/flavorings.

7. Spaceboy Tim

Spaceboy Tim Member

I've only had Old Dublin by Peterson and I really like it.

RTOdhner likes this.
  8. DocB

DocB Active Member

Good suggestions from above, and I also enjoy Two Friends English Chocolate. Good Luck!!

9. jpberg

jpberg Moderator Moderator

I guess I'd go with an English sampler from Pipe Works and Wilke. Call Carole, tell her what you've been smoking, she'll hook you up with a very nice sample pack.

Mington likes this.
  10. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

What to add to RTO's post .. he covered it . I havent had the new offering , but Dunhills Standard Mixture Medium , I've always thought as a benchmark English Blend . I enjoyed it for many a bowl

11. Beale

Beale Active Member

PS Proper English is another good smoke.

12. Drek

Drek Member

Davidoff English Mixture...LOL, just kidding. Dunhill 965 is what English mixture should taste like.

13. Arkie

Arkie Active Member

Margate or Presbyterian

14. BigB

BigB Member

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. I'm gonna check out a few local tobacconists soon, and I'll keep an eye out for some of the suggested blends.

15. Indy

Indy Member

My avatar should be a hint (I know its a toad) but close enough!;). It is a bit of a crossover, so it's a good place to start if your not sure and are coming from aero's. Oh, Silems (sp?) black rocks!

16. MakDragon

MakDragon Illegitimi non carborundum

Kramer's tobacco shop in Bev Hills - Fr Dempsey Blend or their English

17. Bri2k

Bri2k Active Member

Ok bit of a story here, so please bear with me.

A long, long time ago in a PSF far, far away, I took part in the FNG/FOG trade. Since I was new to pipesmoking and many were raptuous about English blends, I asked my FOG (thanks, Mr Oglethorpe!) if he could do an English sampler for me. Everything went off without a hitch and a week later I recieved a bunch of samples, Squadron Leader and 1792 being the most memorable. While I could certainly understand their appeal, the strength of these blends was almost off-putting except that as a life-long tobacco addict, I was determined to push on and soldier through them. While I never quite developed a love for the stronger blends, I can at least appreciate them.

A few months later I acquired some Spilman Mixture and a few months after that I tried Walnut. Serious lovers of English blends might scoff at these "light" Americanized versions, but if you're not used to a strong smoke or latakia in general, I really think these two are a great introduction. One is not overwhelmed by a smoke that can knock you over yet you certainly can taste the latakia and ease your way into this kind of tobacco.

While Walnut has gone by the boards for me, I still enjoy Spilman from time to time. Another thing I like about it is that it's probably one of the few blends around today that's like what people smoked back in the 1880s which as a history buff, I find hard to resist.

Bri2k

18. Buster

Buster Member

As a new comer to pipe tobacco I will say Mac Baren plum cake. The "plum" in the name threw me off. It was not sweet at all. You can tell the latakia is there with out a doubt. I enjoy it a lot and want to try other Latakia blends. I will say though I need to be in the mood for it but the flavor is haunting me in a good way.

19. buistd

buistd Active Member

Why am I not surprised!!

shadow likes this.
  20. shadow

shadow Active Member

Hmmmmm.....?????? Can't figure it out...;)

buistd likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.