1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.
  2. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

For The Frugal Cob Smoker Who Uses Filters Or Wants The Benefits Of A Filter!

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by Marc, May 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Marc

Marc Active Member

This is another cob tip that may help some of you frugal cob smokers out there like me, as any cob smoker already knows, MM cobs come with a Medico filter cartridge. I use the Dr. Grabow filter cartridges in mine, which are 1/4 inch longer than the Medico is, which sometimes seem to be a tight fit in the MM cobs because of the length, which affects the draw. My solution to the problem, I cut the Dr. Grabow filters in half and insert the cut end into the stem toward the stem button with the factory cut end toward the bowl because it is a clean straight cut and wrapped a little tighter on the ends. This cut in half filter will be even with the stem tenon. The cob will have a very open draw but the half filter will still provide moisture control and containment and protect the smoker from getting bits of tobacco and hot ash drawn into their mouth as they smoke towards the bottom of the bowl. Cutting the filters in half make it very economical, it does not affect the open draw and actually seems to work better at the stem end instead of down the shank at the bowl end. Try it and see what you think? I think it works quite well, the benefit of a filter without compromising the open draw and smoking qualities of a filtered cob.

2. user0003

user0003 Well-Known Member

Very good tip for filter users, Marc. I still toss'em and smoke happily filter free. The only pipe that I have found that requires a tube to reduce draw is a 9mm filter Peterson. Just my opinion though YMMV.

3. Marc

Marc Active Member

Jesla, you can also use a Savinelli 6mm converter tube in lieu of a paper cartridge filter to ramp down the draw on a filtered pipe, I do this sometimes also. I personally like and use filters on pipes designed for them otherwise the draw is too open and the pipe smokes hot and fast for me, especially cobs and I know there are other filtered cob smokers out there besides me this may help, especially if you are trying to use a Grabow filter in a MM cob. :huh:

4. Burner

Burner Member

A timely tip this is. I have 40 Grabow filters on the way for my recently bought cobs.

5. Marc

Marc Active Member

And even the half filters are good for multiple smokes depending on the tobacco and how dry you smoke.

6. Falconeer

Falconeer Active Member

Well done Marc - while I'm not a filter user that makes perfect sense - a lot of Falcon guys in the UK used to wrap a pipe cleaner round a pencil then cut it off and use it instead of buying Dry Rings,

Best to all

Gerry

7. Marc

Marc Active Member

That's what I do now! :crazysmile:

8. Unforgivin

Unforgivin Active Member

You da man! :bing:

I had clipped the end off filters when they were giving me a hard time before but never even considered using halves.

It's off to the Bat cave for my clippers!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.