1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.
  2. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

For the old cobbers...

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by Mike Berger, Aug 30, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mike Berger

Mike Berger Member

Asked this question on another forum but wanted to get another read before moving forward..if there is space between the top of the shank and the bowl(that I can see through) on my MM, can I just fill it in with a little wood glue to seal it up? I'm pretty sure I can but wanted to check..

Thanks in advance...

Mike

2. Tanman

Tanman Member

Did some research real quick for ya; doesn't look like that wood hurt; would use carpenters glue and just let it cure for about 24hours as long as the space is not to large.

3. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

Yes, you can.

4. DGErwin11

DGErwin11 Moderator Moderator

I modified a cob into a full (almost) bent. I used Elmers Wood Filler to plug the gaps and glue shank in place. See thread "Full(er) Bent Cob.

I think MM uses wood glue to attach the shank to the bowl.

5. rphillips

rphillips Member

I'm deffinately no expert but from looking at my cobs I'd bet MM uses elmers wood glue in the firstplace. Go for that super hold, gorilla glue it :)

6. Snake

Snake permanent ankle biter

gorilla glue WILL expand, so apply sparingly if
    you use it. FYI.

7. Bouquelon

Bouquelon Member

Go with Wood glue, it does not expand and works great. I had to fill a few cracks in my main Cob and that is what I used. Mix it with some corn flower or corn starch to make a paste to fill larger gaps. The corn flower is, well, corn, so it tastes the same as the cob. Also, wood or elmers glue does not have any polymers or strange binders that might be bad when burned.

8. Mike Berger

Mike Berger Member

Thanks for the replies and info guys! Gonna try some glue and see what happens....appreciate it!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.