1. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

For those who Cellar

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Stonewall, Feb 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stonewall

Stonewall Active Member

Do you keep your tinned tobacco in the original packaging, or transfer the tobacco into jars?

And under what conditions to you cellar it, e.g. temp, lighting, etc.

2. SouthBound

SouthBound Active Member

I only jar bulk packages and open tins with snap on lids. The screw top tins are as good as jars over the short term, I think.

I don't think temperature variance affects pipe tobacco as bad as it does cigars. However, I keep mine on the top shelf of the closet, just in case. I'm gonna take a wild guess and say sunlight is not good for aging. The radiation would probably kill some of the microbes that are instrumental to the process.

Hope that helps.

Stonewall likes this.
  3. Capt

Capt Active Member

If the tin is sealed, I leave it. Gawith type 250g boxes and any bags get jarred immediately.

Stonewall likes this.
  4. Stonewall

Stonewall Active Member

It does, thank you! I keep my toby, jars & tins, in an old chest of drawers in the basement storage room completely out of the light, but second guesed myself and thought I'd ask.

I wondered if I should give the unopened tins a good wrap in cello while in storage.

5. Bent

Bent Member

You don't need to wrap the tins in anything if they are sealed. When the tins are sealed they are air tight so there is nothing coming in our out.

If you do have an open tin and want to store it then my advise would be a mason jar, much more effective than cling wrap.

Stonewall likes this.
  6. Mington

Mington Well-Known Member

+1 to that although I have never bought a 250g box! lol

Stonewall likes this.
  7. Stonewall

Stonewall Active Member

Good to know. I wasn't sure about aging/storing unopened tins.

Thanks! :th1:

8. Stonewall

Stonewall Active Member

Me neither. I have ordered multiple 4 oz bags, and they go straight in to Mason jars.

Mington likes this.
  9. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

Gawith, Hoggarth & Co. 500g packages come UNsealed, and MUST be jarred.

Unless I'm opening something for use in the short term, it usually stays sealed if it comes sealed.

Stonewall likes this.
  10. Stonewall

Stonewall Active Member

I was wondering how you were going to store that pound of plug. Do you pre-cut yours into cubes?

11. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

That was probably Lestrade's Samuel Gawith you're thinking of.

I do have some SG Grousemoor Plug and Kendal Plug, though, and they were cut into large blocks which just fit into the mouth of the jar.

Stonewall likes this.
  12. Stonewall

Stonewall Active Member

Nah, I mistakenly thought that Nighttrain you had was in cake/plug form. I guess it was just the was it was packaged.

13. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

Oh! I forgot about that. I thought you were thinking along Gawith lines. Yeah, the Night Train is a pressed brick, a cake, but not a proper plug. It is made up of loose, cut bits just pressed together until it stays. You can break that stuff apart without a knife, though the first break is a little on the resistant side.

I broke it into four long blocks. Three are in a mason jar standing upright, side by side. The last one was broken up farther to store in the mouth of the jar. It all fits, even if just barely, in a jar that will only hold about half a pound of Bosun Cut Plug (a broken flake).

I wanted to jar it up because while the packaging was vacuum sealed, I didn't trust that it might not develop a small hole at some point and take in air and dry out. Plus I like having full jars around :puffy:

Before I open that jar again, though, I have about a half a tin of the stuff to polish off. Under ideal conditions, assuming the material in which it's wrapped is totally impermeable, it could remain unopened and just fine indefinitely.

Stonewall likes this.
  14. Stonewall

Stonewall Active Member

I was thinking of getting a couple of tins of C&D in a month or so. Deep Hollow was one I wanted to try. I might try Night Train, too.

15. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

I recommend Night Train. Good stuff! VA dominated, but with a good dose of burley and a little perique to back it up, lend it body, and balance it out without totally negating the sweetness of VA.

Stonewall likes this.
  16. Stonewall

Stonewall Active Member

Not as badass as Epiphany is it? :beyes: That had quite the kick for me.

17. Mington

Mington Well-Known Member

That must be a large mason jar!?

18. Hawkwood

Hawkwood Member

I only have a few jars of tobacco. They're bulk blends that needed a better home than a plastic bag. Most of my tobacco is in original sealed tins. I've got three tins open at the moment and will not open another until they've been smoked.

19. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

I mostly use quart jars and 4oz jars. I need to find some half pint and pint jars, but I'm not going to pay for shipping glass. Luckily I've got a few that I've had for years that have been pressed into service as tobacco containers.

With uncut GH flakes, you get a big slab of them sorta stuck together in a block that peels apart. It's about 6" long, and the stuff is so moist and stuck together I generally find it a chore to seperate it such that I can cut the flakes down to more manageable sizes. As is, I can separate large parts of the block along the slices. 500g will generally end up split over two jars when it's in flake form, though if I took the time to seperate and cut down the individual flakes they could probably fit into one. I'm fine with them being in two, though, because they come so moist I don't think they'll end up dessicated and having two jars allows me to age one while smoking out of the other.

With Bosun Cut Plug, I received a 500g plastic lined paper sack full of the stuff, which is part broken flake and part ready rubbed. One jar was filled completely, and one was filled most of the way.

8oz of Margate and 8oz of And So To Bed each fit into their own quart jars yesterday, though it required just a little cramming.

The Night Train was slightly trickier, though. While it's far more dense than a ribbon cut or a flake, I had to tear the chunks just right to most efficiently fill the jar in order to ensure that a one quart jar could hold an entire pound of tobacco. I got it, in the end, and I think with some more regular flakes (PS, C&D, GLP, MacB, etc.) one could also get a pound of flakes into a quart jar with little problem.

20. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

IDK, not tried Epiphany yet. It's definitely milder than, say, Haunted Bookshop or Old Joe Krantz, though. I'd say it's more along the lines of Exhausted Rooster, just without the same sweetness and a slightly fuller flavor. Good, solid, medium bodied smoke

Stonewall likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.