For you "e-tailers only" shoppers........

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Puff The Magic, Jul 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Puff The Magic

Puff The Magic Active Member

Yesterday, I got a call from one of the local B&M's (the manager calls whenever he gets in a shipment of anything he thinks I'd like) that's really cool of him. Plus I asked him to.

Anyway, I always pick up a tin or two or three of something right off the shelf. Pay full or near msrp price, we talk, I learn him on pipage and he returns the lesson in cigars and the tobacco market, taxes, etc. You guys who shop etail only, you are missing out. Routinely I've picked up tins dating back to '98, '02, '04 of toby and it's not the inflated prices charged on ebay for "vintaged" toby. Yeah, it's higher than etail pricing and I do have to spend the time & gas to get there but to me, it's one of my "local" shops and if they go down the tubes I'd be quite upset. So, don't overlook or shy away from the B&M's. You may find something you like that's been sitting somewhere else for years only to be discovered and appreciated by you. Originally I was picking up 50gm tins of Butera Royal Vintage toby of the '04 date stamp for a little over $8 each. Whoaah! I told him to call me whenever he gets shipments in, and he calls about every week to 10 days or so. I feel so lucky.

Just thought I'd share.

:velho:

Ed Puff!

P.S. I also picked up a 100gm tin of MacB Va #1 dated '02 for $7 and change! It was on the 1/2 price shelf! Not bad ehhhhh? ;)

2. dubhdarra

dubhdarra Active Member

i started at a tobacconist. i still frequent the place though i make most of my purchases online, largely for the same reasons as yourself (5 year old yenidje highlander and supreme being my next targets) and i'm actually applying for a job there as tehy just lost their "pipe guy"

as in all things, all eggs one basket bad.

3. Falconeer

Falconeer Active Member

Hi,

Good ones when you find them are truly worth supporting - they'll give you back up, move heaven and earth to fill a speciasl order and in some cases even customise a pipe for you - e.g. fitting a silver band to a well loved pipe instead of the nickel one it came with as well as letting you know about special offers discounts etc.

There are only three left within reasonable travelling distance of me - and that means a two hour drive, but I've dealt with them for years and they've been brillliant to me - yes buy your bargains on line as you have to, but also support the good BMs,

Happy smoking

Gerry

4. Deckard

Deckard Active Member

For some of us a B&M just isn't an option. All the tobacconists I've been to carry little to no stock for pipe smokers and seem to cater more exclusively to cigar smokers.

5. Rugbysh9

Rugbysh9 Active Member

:thumb:

6. atwageman

atwageman Member

I'm lucky my local B&M is geared towards the pipe smoker. Granted he does a sh*tload of cigar sales too. He carries the full McClelland tinned line and doesn't charge full suggested retail either. Also has a wide assortment of other tins and bulks. I support my local B&M as well as order from etailers too.

7. Strongirish

Strongirish Member

If only there was a good B and M near me I would support him, but there is not so I have to etail.

8. Puff The Magic

Puff The Magic Active Member

Hands down, etail "ROCKS" for pricing, selection, availability, convenience, etc. Sux on the wait time (sort of a "different" sort of DGT) though.

Another great example, McClelland Cigar Blend (red tin, 100g) for $7.50! This one was dated '02! Never tried it, don't really get "into" the cigar flavor(s) but for right at $8 (w/state tax), I could try it and not feel bad if I didn't like it. At least I'd know. Jar it and try it again later sometime.......or not! Some great deals or vintaged finds are waiting. I hear ya about "no local B&M's". That makes choices easier (etail) but when you plan on getting out of town, add a "toby huntin' activity" to your agenda. Makes the trip out of town all that much mo-bettah! :velho:

:velho:
    Ed Puff!

9. CBR

CBR Member

Around here it's the same situation. Plus the B&M cigar shop staff have almost no idea about the stuff they sell. Granted, all the local cigar shops are co-located inside 5 star hotels and the staff are always females under 30, it's still not enough to make a pipe smoker stop by for a puff.

If there ever were to be a local pipe shop, I'd support them till they went bankrupt (which unfortunately in this environment could be under a year).

10. Unforgivin

Unforgivin Active Member

Yupperooski! Closest to me is at least 25 miles and probably more. The local Nice and easy had a corner "smoke shoppe" but ya know...smoking's bad and all. So it's gone. They didn't have a lot but it was better then nothing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.