Former (Brand) Pipe Tobaccos

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by nesta, Jun 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

So I'm curious if anyone here has any experience with Former blends. Reviews on TR are lacking, and despite that I know there are sometimes blends with a ** rating that I love, and the opinions of others aren't reflective of my own and shouldnt influence mine, either. That said, I'm interested in the opinions of others and find them interesting.

I find Samuel Gawith X Blend quite nice. Definitely an unusual smoke, but I find it a solid winner. Not treated to nicely on TR though....

I was eyeing some Former Birds Eye Flake. It's not well received on TR, but then again there aren't many reviews of it. Have any of you smoked it? Or any of the other blends?

I suppose I'd almost prefer trying blends not as many people have reviewed on TR...don't want to unfairly influence my tastes with such prejudices, but I can't help it sometimes. Hell, I bought Ferndown Yellow and Brown on a whim knowing nothing about it and it's become one of my favorites - but there are only 6 reviews on TR.

Anyway, I'll probably get this stuff regardless of what I'm told because hell, I want to try it. But that said, I'd like to hear opinions anyway!

2. HCraven

HCraven Active Member

The name sounds familiar, but I can't remember if I've ever seen them or heard anything about them. I wish TR would re-enable the images. I don't know why that's been down for so long. Beer Advocate uses images all the time, and they don't get into any trouble about it. Just put up a disclaimer saying that they are for educational purposes only and you're golden, as far as I know.

3. nitehawk

nitehawk Active Member

nesta....I'm familiar with Former Pipes (they make Dunhill pipes look like a bargain...lol), but didn't know they made Tobacco as well.

HC - never can tell, someone might print an image of tobacco....and smoke it!! On the road to ruination, and all because of a smoked photo.

4. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

Beer Advocate...Ruination....aaaah :toast:

but here you go, HC:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Nitehawk: Yes, they make high end pipes, also. I don't need to tell you, of course, there is a lot of cross over in that regard. Peterson, Dunhill, Former, Ferndown, Bjarne, Nording, Ashton, Rattray, Brebbia, Davidoff, CAO, Chonowitch, Karl Erik, W.O. Larsen, etc. Too many manufacturers, not enough time to try them all :(

5. HCraven

HCraven Active Member

Nope. Can't say I've seen them or heard anything about them. Looking forward to your report, should you decide to get them.

6. Arkie

Arkie Active Member

When I refer to TR I read the reviews of the people who seem to have similar tastes to mine. For example, Strongirish and Susanna Hoff (please excuse the miserable spelling) often agree with my own opinions so I particularly look at their reviews of blends I'm interested in trying.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.