1. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

Foul smell during break in period.

Discussion in 'Need Pipe Smoking Advice? Ask an Old Fart!' started by hammondsj, Mar 31, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hammondsj

hammondsj Member

I was recently gifted a basket pipe each time I smoke it during the break in period it puts off a foul smell. Is this normal?

2. Coda

Coda Well-Known Member

The combustion chamber may have been coated with something. I'm sure there are others around here that will have a better explanation...

3. cobbsmoker

cobbsmoker Active Member

What does it smell like? Burning wood? Did it come with a bowl coating? Could it be a new tobacco you are smoking for the first time?

4. hammondsj

hammondsj Member

The smell is hard to describe but it does look like it has a coating in it. My GBD estates never put off a smell but I'm guessing that's because they are estates.

5. WrightwoodJohn

WrightwoodJohn Wrightwood expatriate

Guess they're basket pipes for a reason..

Dutchking22 and hammondsj like this.
  6. cobbsmoker

cobbsmoker Active Member

This smell will most probably go away in a bowl or two, not all bowl coatings are created equally.

hammondsj likes this.
  7. cobbsmoker

cobbsmoker Active Member

And welcome to the world of breaking in new pipes! :puffy:

8. hammondsj

hammondsj Member

Thanks!

9. Jay

Jay Active Member

Could be a little of the wood burning, be careful. I only had one pipe do this, and I am not a big fan (lazy) of proper break in methods. That being said, I did go back and smoke bowls in graduating quantities after the burning briar episode. Briar has a very funny taste when it burns. It is not a good taste/smell.

10. Dutchking22

Dutchking22 Member

It has been so long since I had to break in a pipe that wasn't a cob............

11. Basil Meadows

Basil Meadows Active Member

If you want to quicken the break in on your pipe, have you tried coating the bowl with honey? A lite coating between each smoke the first few times will speed up the caking process (and may help tolerate the foul smell). Good luck!

12. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

I noticed the same thing when I smoked my new metal pipe but then realized that I had eaten Taco Bell a couple hours earlier. I'm guessing there's a correlation.

I'm concerned that what you're smelling may be frying briar. Is the bowl getting really hot very quickly?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.