1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.
  2. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

Found a Dunhill for $5

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by Matt Payne, Nov 3, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Matt Payne

Matt Payne Member

I'm a new pipe smoker and while at a city-wide charity garage sale I came across a can of Pipes.
    Score! It was what I had been hoping for!

Picking through the pipes I found several interesting bulldogs, quarterbent billards and the like but most had broken mouthpieces or severe damage, so the pipe I went with was the straight billiard with the saddle stem and the little white dot.

I had no idea what I had stumbled across.

I went home after finishing my shopping and decided to investigate the markings on my new pipe.

They are

(left side) A Dunhill
    London

(right side) MADE IN ENGLAND2 38F/T
    PAT. N0417574/34

I will post pictures soon, but I wanted to know just what I got a hold of so I can take good care of it.

Any help?

2. krusty

krusty Active Member

Beginners luck manifests in all things it seems (-;

Coda likes this.
  3. Goat

Goat Active Member

Niiiicccee. I stil don't have a Dunhill in my collection.

Stonewall likes this.
  4. Spillproof

Spillproof Mostly Harmless Moderator

You have a Dunhill Patent "root-briar" from the early 40's. That's a pipe worthy of any collection, particularly if you can smoke it!

Does it look like something like this?
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/1938-DUNHIL...5?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_210&hash=item35c06ceaf3

5. Iain

Iain Active Member

You got hold of an old Dunhill it seems, and they are possibly the best kind of Dunhill to have.

6. Pschoppy48

Pschoppy48 Member

A patent number Dunhill? BIG SCORE!!!

7. Matt Payne

Matt Payne Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    These are some pictures of the pipe in question; A few notes
    When I bought this pipe I couldn't tell it was of any real quality at all, it was stinky and tarnished with thick black soot around the rim of the bowl, a nearly clogged stem so oxidized I initially thought it to be green. This is what it is now, and I'm no expert at refurbishing but I'm giving it my all.

Any tips on how to get the stem glossy again?

8. Matt Payne

Matt Payne Member

Preacher1611 likes this.
  9. buistd

buistd Active Member

I'll be honest here. If this is your first restoration, the chances are you'll make a mess of it. For a pipe like this it's worth spending the money to have it professionally restored.

10. buistd

buistd Active Member

Great score by the way!

11. Spillproof

12. Matt Payne

Matt Payne Member

Sound advice; I cant really afford to have it professionally restored right now but I think I'll wait until I can have it done right to go any further. All I've done is clean out the bowl with salt+alcohol making sure to not get any on the rim and bleached the stem, using petroleum jelly to protect the dot and tenon. I've gotten it to where it has no odor or flavour other than a woody scent and a slight tobacco note so I'm not too worried. Can I smoke it without damaging it or should I have it restored first? I have another pipe to use but I'm getting some Frog Morton in for my first try soon and my other pipe has had nothing but aromatics in it and I'd like a fresh smoke.

Thanks!

13. Matt Payne

Matt Payne Member

14. Spillproof

No, you're being smart.
    I do a lot of resto's. I wouldn't rec you take on a patent Dunhill as your first "deep restoration."
    I was sharing those links in regard to stem clean-up and general information.

15. Matt Payne

Matt Payne Member

Thanks! And can I smoke this safely before getting it rewaxed/polished? I don't want to damage it but I'm itching to try it.

16. len smetona

len smetona Member

Wow, that is actually in decent shape. If you've not done pipes before, it is good advice to have a pro restore it. It will come up great! Good score!

17. Spillproof

If it's cleaned to your satisfaction, and has been airing out for 24hrs since you gave it a booze bath, it's ready to go.

Further clean up and/or restoration can be done at any time, and I have no doubt you'll be treating it kindly ;-)

18. WrightwoodJohn

WrightwoodJohn Wrightwood expatriate

The old "Went to a garage sale and found a can full of pipes and one of them was a patent Dunhill" dream comes true! That is incredible!

Stonewall and Jussto like this.
  19. 5H4N3

5H4N3 Active Member

Score!!!!
    I'll give you $20 for it right now. Think about it, it's not every day you can make 300% profit on your investment. :poke:

20. Stonewall

Stonewall Active Member

That pipe is in fantastic condition. I've been messing around with trying to restore old estates for a few years now and I'll tell you what I've learned: Send it to Norwoods or Walkers. Leave it to a Pro. Seriously. I can't get over the condition of that gem. It wont cost you more than $25 buck to have that pipe looking like a new one.

Incredible find. Congrats to you. I am yet to own one.

user2725 and BradNTX like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.