1. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

Found a neat tobacco tin today...

Discussion in 'The Smoking Lounge' started by NickWilliams, Mar 31, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NickWilliams

NickWilliams Member

I decided to drive around and check out some yard sales this morning. Some of my favorite pipes have come from a dusty box in someone's garage. I didn't find any pipes today, but I did find this:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here is a little background on it that I tracked down:

It is a vintage Union Leader cut plug tobacco tin. This tin was originally packaged with smoking and chewing tobacco to ensure freshness. They are sometimes referred to as ‘lunchbox’ tins as it has a little handle and opens from the side with a hinged lid. An American Bald Eagle is featured on two sides and the top. It is from the 1920s, and was produced by the P. Lorillard Tobacco Company. The company was established in 1760, and produced every kind of tobacco out there (plug, cut, chewing, snuff, smoking ) and it manufactured over 160 different brands. It is one of the oldest and largest manufacturers of tobacco products and still produces the brands Newport, Old Gold, True, Maverick, and Kent.

Here is a link to my source for the above info:
    http://www.etsy.com/listing/87395191/union-leader-tobacco-tin

Not a bad find for a lazy Saturday morning!

2. hammondsj

hammondsj Member

Sounds interesting...cool find!

3. MacNutz

MacNutz Active Member

That is a Very cool find. I was recently looking at old ads for Union Leader. They used the word "Union" differently, at different times. I would be most pleased with that find.

That lunch bucket design is especially interesting and evocative.

4. Rodfather

Rodfather Active Member

Very nice condition. I have seen them priced in that condition for $ 300.00

5. Old Codger

Old Codger Well-Known Member

Now that's a lunch box that a guy could use. Nice find.

6. NickWilliams

NickWilliams Member

It has a nice patina and it isn't all dented up. I'm not sure what I am going to do with it yet, but I couldn't pass it up for the price. It was a fun morning. I came home with the tin, a bag of cheap toys for my daughter that we will play with for a month or two and then donate to good will, and couple of scooby doo DVDs. When it was all said and done I spent less than $5 for everything.

Rodfather and Old Codger like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.