1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

found my gramps pipe

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by David Emond, Jan 15, 2013.

1. Old Codger

Old Codger Well-Known Member

Congrats on the find. Both my grandfather and father smoked pipes. I have a pretty good idea where they are, since neither of those men threw out anything, so some day I'll get around to doing a search for the pipes.
    Nice fish!

David Emond likes this.
  2. jhguthlac

jhguthlac Active Member

Discovered my Grandpa's pipes last summer. He passed in 1953, when I was 2 years ago. Quite a find. It sure makes them extra special.

3. Riff Raff

Riff Raff Active Member

That is a great story and picture (nice Pike!). I wasn't familar with that logo. Here is another ebay pipe with that logo, a pretty handsome dog for $20 BIN!
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pipe-Maker-...-White-Circle-Red-Dot-Logo-NICE-/251096720720

It is labeled as "Pipe Makers Imported Briar".
    [​IMG]

I had fun trying to find that logo. It seems if you have white circle and red dot on your skin, you might have ringworm! Pipes are more fun to collect!

Raffxr7 and David Emond like this.
  4. jdto

jdto Well-Known Member

Nice stuff, David! I have m grandfather's pipe and it's really special to me.

David Emond likes this.
  5. David Emond

David Emond Active Member

6. David Emond

Its funny that with todays age and internet there things that we cannot research. This is a great example, i dont know who or what company made these pipes. Also how did a pipe like this end up way up north in ontario back in the day.

7. Riff Raff

Riff Raff Active Member

That is why I love a pipe mystery!

David Emond likes this.
  8. Wildcat

Wildcat Member

colorduke and David Emond like this.
  9. David Emond

the pipe came in yesterday. I tried to clean it up a bit last night and gave it a carb wax make over, left the wax on over night and all day and just finished buffing it out a bit.
    [​IMG]

I find it cool how some of the old school makers had a dot logo on their pipes they almost look like the allied plane signs from ww1 and ww2

10. 421eme

421eme Member

Cool beans David - nice score! Are you going to smoke it?

I'm still on the hunt for my Dad's pipes - my Mom is going to have a look for them and hopefully she'll have luck. My Dad was a packrat and kept things in the weirdest places.

All the best, Carl

David Emond likes this.
  11. Stewart

Stewart Member

Great old picture. Cool old pipe too.

12. David Emond

Im debating giving it to my dad or keeping it. There are always a few on the bay i could just get another one for me.

13. Wideawake75

Wideawake75 Member

That's a cool pipe and a great story! I had lunch with my father a few weeks back and asked him if he still had the pipes from when I was a kid. He told me that not only did he still have them, but that they were passed to him by my maternal grandfather.. it's surprising that he kept them all these years since he and my ma divorced back in '80. I'm dying to have a look at them. You should give one to your dad, but definitely buy one for yourself- how cool would that be?

David Emond likes this.
  14. Nick Correia

Nick Correia Active Member

I'm kinda late on this thread...great story, love the pic!!! Stellar find! I also have one of these pipes, it's a beaten up, scraped up, well used, Rhodesian. I can barely find anything about it, I'm glad I found this thread and I'm glad pipe has a story to it!

-Nick

jdto likes this.
  15. PappyMac

PappyMac Active Member

I inherited two of my grandfathers pipes after he died in 1979. I still smoke one of them and gave the other to one of my sons

16. Russell Hartman

Russell Hartman Stay Silver

Absolutely wonderful find--great pipe and a great Pap-Pap. If it were me--I would maybe very gingerly clean the bowl interior slightly and then the draught hole and stem hole with some spirits to kill any germs and from there---YEAH BABY--I would smoke that pipe cracks and all in loving memory and honor of my Pap. Pipes like that for me are cherished heirlooms more precious than gold. Also thanks for sharing that wonderful picture. Looks like he caught himself a nice fish--happy and memorable moment in his life--Awesome--absolutely awesome.:appl:

Nickeythenoose likes this.