Found Treasure!

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Whitespot, Apr 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Whitespot

Whitespot Active Member

So this weekend I was working on the "honey do" list. One of my tasks was to find my wife's "Spring pattern" placemats. I know, stay calm, the excitement was too much for me as well. I'm rummaging through our store room, which can be life threatening. I found things that I didn't know we had. I came across an unmarked plastic tub, opened it, and what to my wondering eye were 3 tins of tobacco. 1999 Winter's Tale, 1998 Silk Road (both unopened), and an opened tin of 1998 Christmas Cheer! Now I'm debating on when to open the first 2, and the Christmas Cheer I have to be very selective when to smoke it. There's only a third of the tin left, and it has been well kept. It still has good moisture content. Any suggestions when I should smoke it? Never found those damn placemats, but this was a much better find! My wife's response? "That's gross, I can't believe you would actually smoke that".

2. dBear

dBear Active Member

There's no time like the present. :)

Wildcat, YAPPG, Whitespot and 4 others like this.
  3. KingsTarantula

KingsTarantula Active Member

Hilarious response by your wife! LOL!

But what ever and whenever you smoke it please don't forget to post here to let us all know how it was.

Brit abroad, YAPPG, Whitespot and 3 others like this.
  4. Moose

Moose Active Member

Finding stuff you have forgotten about is awesome (see my similar post last week). I say "Smoke 'em if you got 'em"!.

Enjoy your find.

5. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

Unless you want to age the unopened tins , do what I do ... pop the suckers and toss them in a jar , this way you can light up anytime ya want .. and you get past the point of " should I open them " :)

Wildcat, Brit abroad, Moose and 7 others like this.
  6. JayPipe

JayPipe Member

That's pretty much why I jar everything as soon as I get it.

Moose, YAPPG, Whitespot and 2 others like this.
  7. Whitespot

Whitespot Active Member

I will take all of y'alls opinions into consideration, and proceed to "pop a top"! However, like many a pipesmoker, I am predisposed to following a ritual. These will be dedicated to special occasions. Now there is room for many discussions as to what constitutes a "special occasion". My Dad said once he hit 80, just waking up the next day was considered a special occasion, and he would pour himself a wee dram of Jameson as a celebratory gesture. He passed away at 87, that's 7 years of celebrations and a whole lot of Jameson. I don't think I'm at that point yet, however I will have to fill a bowl with one of these fine blends a little more frequently than monumental events or just holidays. Gentlemen, thank you for the encouragement! Carpe Diem!

Wildcat, Brit abroad, Moose and 2 others like this.
  8. ronbruce61

ronbruce61 Member

Very cool find.I found 4 PSD #4's from 06 yesterday in a cooler dive.I love finding buried treasure as well.

Ron

Brit abroad and YAPPG like this.
  9. AmeriMick

AmeriMick Member

Eh, what do they know. My advice, pick the unopened tin you're less into, and break it out when your smoker friends come over, that way they owe you big!

Smoke your fav yourself of course.

And smoke the opened one now. Again, of course.

10. t-bear

t-bear Well-Known Member

Do weekends qualify as "special events"??
    I don't think you need to worry about "aging" these...fifteen years is pretty good!
    Can you get a fresh tin of each for comparison? Let us know how they stack up after all this time.

dBear likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.