1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.
  2. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

found two pipes from 1912, any thoughts?

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by AlexeiKS, Jan 13, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AlexeiKS

AlexeiKS New Member

Aloha from Hawaii, pipe smokers!

I'm relatively new to the pipe smoking world, but I've been delving as deeply as my meager wallet and scant free time will allow. Pipe smoking is unheard of in Hawaii-- there's only one tiny shop with a tiny tobacco pipe corner (hawaii smokers tend to favor the greener leaf, if you know what I mean...)

I got lucky recently and found an antique store with a box of old pipes for 8-12$ each. Two of the five I bought had what I assume to be dates of manufacture on them: "11-29-12" and "5-2-12" !!
    The bulldog (11-29-12) rim and stem are pretty beat up, but the mini pipe (5-2-12) is in great condition considering its age. Just a few dings on the stem.

Does anyone have an idea of what these may be worth? Any info will be greatly appreciated :)

THE PIPES:
    https://plus.google.com/photos/1025...s/5833151394717741937?authkey=CJDo-4aRzPyglQE

2. Imrandy

Imrandy Member

To me the dates look like they are newer to the pipe. Look at the stamp from manufacture and see how the stain is in the stamping on yours the date looks fresher and almost white
    http://pipephil.eu/logos/en/logo-c1.html
    More pics of the band area is it hallmarked at all and the other one need more pics

3. AlexeiKS

AlexeiKS New Member

Thanks Imrandy, I know what you mean. I'll get a bunch more photos uploaded to that linked gallery when I get a chance.

4. Snookman

Snookman Member

5. AlexeiKS

AlexeiKS New Member

That's a great link Snookman. Looks like the date does line up.

I just added a bunch more photos to the album
    (https://plus.google.com/photos/1025...s/5833151394717741937?authkey=CJDo-4aRzPyglQE)

You can see the date is filled with something white-- maybe a wax or polish or something from an owner. Or maybe the maker just used some white filler. The C.P.F. logo is filled with gold.

Are pipes of this age come across often? It seems to me that anything of this age has some value as an antique, but as a pipe? I'm very curious...

6. genuine

genuine Member

Those are some great looking pipes! I would clean them up and give 'em a smoke. Let us know how you like them!

7. SmokeyJoe

SmokeyJoe Active Member

Aloha! Pakololo is da kine bud, bra!

I'm fortunate to have a good friend who is a recently retired Hawaiian Airlines pilot who lives on the North Shore. I visit often!
    The Islands have such a rich history of "visitors", both religious and military, and they had to have left some pipes behind. One disadvantage for me of staying in "Da Country" is that I never have a chance to prowl the second-hand stores and antique shops in Honolulu, Waikiki, or Makaha, not to mention the other islands, but there have got to be pipe treasures out there. Good luck!
    I did come across an unbelievable collection of Vietnam War Zippos in a Waikiki pawn shop, but the cheapest was $300!

8. t-bear

t-bear Well-Known Member

CPF stands for Colossus Pipe Factory. Dates from the late 1800s to around 1920-25. I have two briar and one meerschaum CPF pipes. All are good smokers, though the bowls are relatively small compared to today's pipes. The two briars have gold-wash bands and rims...the meer has silver. None of mine have a date stamp. Might have been added by the original owner.They look more carved/engraved than stamped. The SGR looks to be of the same era...both nice finds...and worth more than you gave for them. If you get bored with them, PM me. I'd be glad to give them a good home...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.