1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.
  2. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

Four Square pipe shape...anybody?

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by yinyang, Jul 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

In about an hour, the postman will be delivering my latest ebay aquisition...a Tinderbox Verona(Mauro Armellini) Naturale. It's a panelled billy. I've never been enamored with panels before, but $10 bucks was too good a deal to ignore. My issue, looks aside, is how thin it appears. Anyone have insight into these babies...as a design, how they typically smoke, blah, blah...?

(After a recent 'pot' purchase, I'm rapidly realizing my preconceptions about (certain)shapes and designs being mostly, only aesthetic is likely off base. Just figured I'd tap the collective wisdom and experience available to me here.)

Thanks, guys.

2. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

What !? No pic . The tinderbox verona were /are [?] good pipes ! 10 bucks , you win ! I'd bet my left ... pinkey toe that it will smoke fine . Dude , imo , ya gotta be cool to smoke a pannel or pot ! I has a dublin verona and really loved it . It got ran over by my lawnmower . Done that a few times

3. dwaugh

dwaugh Moderator Moderator

I've got one (at least it think its a foursquare?), its one of my favorite pipes (1970's Guildhall).

It's... well I guess it's obvious, the square one on the bottom. I like it because , well..... I guess I'm a square :D

[​IMG]

4. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

Send me the middle pipe .... ASAP !:)

5. dwaugh

dwaugh Moderator Moderator

That middle one rocks! its a great smoker, looks cool.... another Guildhall. -David

6. yinyang

Dibs on the straight grainer on top!

Yup, a four square there...I dunno, man. They look odd to me! Leave it to you to find square 'hip'!

7. yinyang

John...you ain't supposed to run a mower back and fourth repeatedly on a pipe...unless mulch was the plan...;)

ruffinogold likes this.
  8. yinyang

Well, good pics ain't happening....my wife loaned our camera to her sis, I guess. (Also, my phone camera went fuzzy with the newer Android update I did...what's up with that?) This pipe is a beaut though, and bigger, thicker than I thought. Cross grain and birdseye everywhere...nice! It has a couple minor dings, but I'm happy to see the seller was telling the truth...this was only smoked a couple times! Basically a showroom model, with a showroom discount. Darn. :)

Smokes well, too. Always a plus...I definitely got my(wife's) $10 worth! :)

9. HCraven

HCraven Active Member

I don't yet have a panel, but I wouldn't turn my nose up at one. The less conventional shapes like that are pretty cool. I've always thought that panel pipes have a kind of '50's vibe about them. I imagine Ward Cleaver smoking one.

10. yinyang

Ward Cleaver, huh???

I've got a panel for sale....a panel, hardly used...anyone? ;)

HCraven likes this.
  11. Smoker99

Smoker99 Active Member

The proper name is a Square Panel Billiard, and it is an old classic shape. I have a few, it is a favorite shape of mine. The shape matters less in smoking quality than the quality of the briar, quality of engineering etc.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.