1. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

Franchised Tobacconists?

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Whalehead King, May 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Whalehead King

Whalehead King Balaenius Rex!!

As I've said, I'm from Boston, a city that has three pipe tobacconists and not much else in the way of selection. Only one is located in Boston proper.

I've subscribed to the newsletter from the Tinder Box shop in Metarie, Louisiana since I'm moving to New Orleans and they are offering a free bowl tomorrow, probably with the caveat that they are going to try to sell me something. From what I gather, Tinder Box is a chain cigar outlet that also offers pipe equipment. Is this true? Are there other chain tobacconists out there?

I tend to prefer supporting a Mom-and-Pop and there are certainly enough cigar stores here in New Orleans. I haven't checked them out yet but I'm thinking about taking a trip to Tinder Box since it's a Sunday and I don't really have much else to do. If Tinder Box is a chain, what are the reviews? Should I save my gas?

Thanks,
    Matthew "Whalehead" King

2. Marc

Marc Active Member

Yes, Tinderbox is a franchise and depending on the store some are well stocked with pipes, tobaccos and accessories and knowledgeable staff and some are not. If memory serves me well, there's a pipe store, Payless Pipes in the New Orleans area which also has an online store or did, that might be worth looking up.

3. dubhdarra

dubhdarra Active Member

tinderbox is kinda mom-and-pop ish imho. they're privately owned stores who become part of the franchise so they can supply products in a more cost effective manner. its more like mary kay than mcdonalds, the parent company doesnt own the store or have any real input on how its run, they're free to stock non-franchise merchandise. the one up by me stocks more stokkebye than tinderbox stuff.

not a terrible store in my opinion.

4. Whalehead King

I found the shop but arrived before they were open. It's in a mall and nothing else was open and I didn't really want to hang out at the mall. Looking in the window, I couldn't see any tobacco products on display. There were a lot of resin statues of roosters and fairies and wizards in the window and behind them was a big perfume bottle display. Not sure what to make of it exactly. I'll be prowling around downtown once I get low on supplies rather than take this trip to the suburbs again.

No offense to this shop, I'm sure they deliver everything I read in their newsletter and they've been in business long while. I just don't know if its worth the trip.

Thanks.

5. Marc

Marc Active Member

If it's like the Tinderbox here, they will have a good selection of pipes and tobaccos, but being a mall store they also sell all kinds of collectables, perfumes, etc. Go inside and check it out next time you are there, there's more to a Tinderbox than just the window displays. :thumbsu:

6. Whalehead King

I'm not writing them off but I'm not making a special trip either. I hope to find something closer to my headquarters. I realize the profit margin is probably better on fairy statues than it is on tins of pipe tobacco. No ill will here and it was an exploration that needed to be done at some point anyway.

7. Rugbysh9

Rugbysh9 Active Member

WHK, find out how far the Briary in Homewood, AL is going to be from. Its probably one of the best pipe shops in the southeast USA

8. Whalehead King

Oh, man, Rugby, I just spent about thirteen hours on my little 250cc motorcycle getting through Alabama on the back roads! Beautiful country and I loved every minute of it, but I'm no rush to do that again. Thanks for the tip though. I'm not even going to google the map to Homewood from here. Another long distance trip is out of the question for now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.