Frog Morton Across The Pod

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Gradog, May 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gradog

Gradog Member

I tried FM Across The Pond. It was a disappointment for me. I find it much to mild and flavorless. I usually smoke a mild to med. English blend but I couldn't taste the Latakia in this. I know the Syrian Latakia and orientals are milder but NOTHING. If I mix it with a Med. English blend I think it will be fine.

2. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

The Frog series is pretty innocuous, and if you have any experience with "serious" or "classic" English mixtures, you won't find much to write home about in the Frogs.

3. Marc

Marc Active Member

The Frog Morton series are really a crossover blend for new smokers to latakia, try British Woods instead.

4. Zenigata

Zenigata Member

I don't know, I still get a lot out of FMOTT, have my only briar dedicated to it also.
    But then again, it took a couple of weeks to get the briar seasoned enough to get the full flavor out of it; even then I am speaking with FMOTT and not FMATP. :)

See if you can get a free sample from sterling for the 1776 Tavern; That it a really well balanced and good English. :)

5. Dondi

Dondi Active Member

Great comments! I got more out of this short exchange than from reading a hundred Frog Morton reviews on TR! ;-)

6. Zenigata

Zenigata Member

The way I see the frog is like a breakfast latakia then a steak and tatters latakia. :whistle:

7. Unforgivin

Unforgivin Active Member

I didn't think FMOTT was bad, actually kinda tasty. But I ordered my first tin (think it was a 50g) for around 8 bucks. For some oddball reason I was stuck with the most expensive shipping I'd seen in a while (7-8 bucks, close to 20 bucks total) So when I got done is was more like................ Frog Morton Up my Ass!

Live and learn I guess.
    Now I have some 5110 around, which I think is the same thing bulk.

8. Zenigata

Zenigata Member

Where is WoodButcher when you need him. :whistle: I know he is hopped up on the frog.

P.S. When smoking the frog, be careful of felines....

9. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

The Frog series is good... that's not really the issue. But Frog Morton is a different sort of "revelation" to a guy who has only ever smoked burleys or Captain Black, than it is to a guy coming from.... well, any "real" English. I like OTT quite a bit - sweet and rich. But these aren't strong or punchy or especially perique-y or anyting. They are sweet and mellow and offer a guy a glimpse of the oriental world of tobaccos.

10. Marc

Marc Active Member

Well said Sas and well done by McClelland's.

11. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

+1 on Tavern for a quality full flavoured English.

12. Roddy

Roddy Member

ATP never did anything for me either. I prefer a lot more lat in an English. Tavern is indeed nice.

13. Whalehead King

Whalehead King Balaenius Rex!!

You're right, Dondi and the same for all the posts afterward. I've been tempted by FM, but mostly by the name and the package. The reviews were good enough but nothing that made me jump to order some online. If I see some in a shop I'll be tempted but I'm not going out of my way.

Thanks for the input, gentlemen.

14. Gradog

Gradog Member

I had 4oz of Watson's Blend from Randy's Tobacco Shop that I hadn't opened. I mixed the 50grm tin of FM with the 4oz and got a pleasant smoke. It didn't cut the flavor of the English blend but added a mellow sweetness. Now I'm Hap-Hap-happy. :thumbsu:

15. woodbutcher

woodbutcher Member

Finally made it to this post, Zenigata. Had to wait until I got back to a computer at work.
    My first "english" attempt was called John Kent English and it was so heavy in latakia that it even drove me out of the room. I probably wouldn't have tried another if I hadn't run across FMOTT. After that, I was literally "hooked".
    I agree that it is not a "true" english, but, it's close enough for my taste.
    I have since tried and enjoyed other english blends, but, my mainstay will continue to be FMOTT and McC 5110. The cat and I still both agree with that.
    That said, if it isn't to your taste...there are lots of others that I'm sure you will enjoy (and by avoiding the frogs, you leave more for me).
    Thanks,
    Dan

16. t-bear

t-bear Well-Known Member

I'm with Dan on this. The Frogs are not the "in-your-face" type of blends, but are definitely an easy smoking, all day tobacco. While I love them all, FMOTB is my go-to of the series,,,,just enough perique to leave a spicy tingle on the palate. ATP is a soft, smooth English that can be smoked any time....I like that! The heavier blends need to be nursed, savored....carefully, and the room note can be quite offensive, especially to non-smokers. ATP gives me a nice taste of lat that I can puff on whilst letting the rest of me do other things....and the Bride deems it "house-worthy"....can't beat that!

17. Brian

Brian Member

I like FM, but you can't smoke it expecting it to be something else. It just is what it is. It's a mild.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.