1. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

Frog Morton on the Bayou

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by CustomDave, Dec 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CustomDave

CustomDave Member

I am still new to smoking so my opinion probably isn't worth much compared to the seasoned vets. I started like a lot of people on aromatics. After hearing a lot of good stuff about Orlik Golden Slice I bought a tin of that several weeks ago. Since I got that I can't seem to do aromatics anymore.

On to the subject. I bought a 50 gram tin of this stuff today. I recognized the Frog Morton name from here, so I figured I would give it a try. When I opened the tin the smell was good (to me at least). For some reason it (the smell) reminded me of my fathers chewing tobacco. Smoking it seems nice. Not really sure how to describe the taste, but it seemed sweet and almost like perfume. Again, I don't know why, it just reminded me of that. In some ways this almost seems like an aromatic. It smells really nice anyway.(maybe it is considered one?) Again, I don't know why it just reminded me of that. It did seem to smoke really cool, with no tongue bite despite me smoking faster than normal. But with all that said it made my pipe gurgle really bad. I didn't pack it any different than I would pack something of that texture. But after about a quarter bowl my pipe seemed soaked in the bottom. I guess that would be my only complaint. I am smoking out of a somewhat crappy basket pipe that tends to gurgle sometime but not usually that quickly.

Oh well, overall good stuff I think. I will give it a try smoking a bit slower later tonight when I have more time. Anyone else tried this blend? Did it gurgle in your pipe?

2. erickghint

erickghint Member

The FM series, in my experience is a bit wet out of the tin. Give it about 45 minutes to an hour on a paper towel (just what you're going to smoke... not the whole tin :P) and then load her up. I haven't tried On the Bayou, since perique and I don't get along, but I have tried the other three and I really like them. Across the Pond is pretty subtle as far as the Latakia goes, the original FM is fantastic and smokey, and On the Town is my favorite. OTT has Basma in it, so there's an ever so slight vanilla taste to it that goes really well with the smokey flavors. If you wanna try some OTT, let me know and I can send some out to ya.

3. jhe888

jhe888 Member

I really like FM Across the Pond. Some latakia and a nice amount of some orientals, too. It is one of my favorite blends.

The Frog Mortons all seem to be well liked.

4. tsgourley

tsgourley Member

I think the gurgle is just the wetness. Let it dry and try again. Perique is a different animal, I've found. Either you like the spiciness or you don't, and while I haven't personally tried OTB I've heard it's balanced quite well.

I've tried OTT and ATB and both of those are solid in my book. You can't go wrong with a good tin of Froggy Goodness.

5. CustomDave

CustomDave Member

I have some drying out on a paper towel now as advised. I do like the taste, if the gurgle goes away it will definitely be on my top 5 list. I think I like the perique, but with my somewhat limited experience I am not sure if that is mainly what I am tasting. Also I read on wiki that most of what is called perique nowadays is actually a burley processed the same way, but the flavor isn't quite the same. It is wiki so I am not sure how true that is, but I would like to try some actual perique if this isn't it.

6. Mike Pomery

Mike Pomery Active Member

I remember Frog Morton was one of the first pipe tobaccos I tried coming across from cigar smoking. I knew nothing of drying out moist tobacco then... and even in my System pipe it gurgled!

Certainly one that needs a bit of air before smoking.

7. CustomDave

CustomDave Member

Well, aired it out for about an hour and a half before smoking this time. It seemed to do the trick for the most part. I finished nearly a full bowl before it started gurgling. This would happen with any tobacco in this pipe I have. Good stuff though, I like it. With any luck I will get the Peterson Christmas pipe that I want for Christmas and it won't have the gurgling problem at all. :)

8. tigercasual

tigercasual Member

I haven't tried "On the Town" or "On the Bayou", (I intend upon trying both sometime soon) but Frog Morton is my favorite tobacco and "Across the Pond" is excellent, also. Glad to see that you are on board with the frog.

9. Pschoppy48

Pschoppy48 Member

FMOTB is one of my favorite blends. I don't have too much trouble with any gurgle while smoking this blend. Yes I do have to run my pipe cleaner through the stem every now and then to get some moisture out as I smoke. Maybe just run a PC through the stem on occasion to help cut down on the gurgle. I believe it smokes drier in a cob. I find it a mild English blend with a light smokey taste. Don't give up on it!

Phil.

10. Mington

Mington Well-Known Member

I have both Frog Morton and Frog Morton OTT. I enjoy them both very much and will 1 day add the others to my collection. ;)

11. t-bear

t-bear Well-Known Member

FMOTB is my favorite Frog, but I love Perique. Perique is mostly a process of curing tobacco which gives it a spicy, almost peppery flavor. Both St. James Parish Perique and Kentucky blend Perique are very close in flavor. St. James has a slightly sweeter after-taste. It really takes a fairly educated palate to distinguish the two. I have both for blending, and find them hard to distinguish, even when smoked alone....something I don't advise. :startle:

As you have found for yourself, The Frog Morton series is a great intro to English, Balkan and Va/Per blends. They are flavorful, but not so strong as to overwhelm the newbie palate. My advice...try them all!

12. CustomDave

CustomDave Member

Ya, I will definitely be trying others from the line. I just found out that the company that makes it is a local company. I did a google search and I drive by their offices at least once a week. To bad they don't seem to offer tours.

13. grga

grga Member

FMOTB is my favorite blend, I like all Frogs and the most of McClelland's baccy.

14. CustomDave

CustomDave Member

Ya, I am on a bit of a small McClelland kick lately. I just bought a tin of this stuff from them called Beacon Extra. I guess it is like their Beacon blend but with more Perique. I tried some last night and it was good, but I think it needs to dry out a bit before smoking. Its pretty wet stuff.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.